TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

Some places allow homeschool kids to participate on PUBLIC school teams. Now, that makes that team part of a "private school."  But even worse!!!!!!  What about these places that are creating "homeschool" athletic teams?.. Are they going to be thrown into the private or public division if TSSAA allows them to enter. Personally, I don't want my child playing with or against a homeschool athlete. But mark my word, that will be an issue to be dealt with if this split occurs. Any public school that allows a homeschool athlete to participate in any sport should have to be in the private school division. After all, they also play by their own rules and standards.... This split and unfair thing is never going to satisfy people. Big schools are going to continue to gripe about open zoning... Small schools are going to continue to gripe about private schools, Girl's basketball fans are always going to gripe about Middle Tennessee advantages and about AAU recruits, and many will continue to blast homeschooled athletes.  It's never ending. The shame is that it is not the high school kids that are whining; it's the adults!!!!! 

Some places allow homeschool kids to participate on PUBLIC school teams. Now, that makes that team part of a "private school."  But even worse!!!!!!  What about these places that are creating "homeschool" athletic teams?.. Are they going to be thrown into the private or public division if TSSAA allows them to enter. Personally, I don't want my child playing with or against a homeschool athlete. But mark my word, that will be an issue to be dealt with if this split occurs. Any public school that allows a homeschool athlete to participate in any sport should have to be in the private school division. After all, they also play by their own rules and standards.... This split and unfair thing is never going to satisfy people. Big schools are going to continue to gripe about open zoning... Small schools are going to continue to gripe about private schools, Girl's basketball fans are always going to gripe about Middle Tennessee advantages and about AAU recruits, and many will continue to blast homeschooled athletes.  It's never ending. The shame is that it is not the high school kids that are whining; it's the adults!!!!! 

Homeschool teams are allowed to play TSSAA schools but that is it.  They comepete in their own district/region/national tournaments.

I believe it is in the by-laws that if a public school does not offer a specific team, swimming, tennis, etc, a student can participate at another school in that sport but still attend their normal school.  The same goes for Homeschool kids.

Yeah my son plays 3 sports at a small public school, he don't want a split. He wants the chace to beat those guys. For my part ,i think there should be a split,but I can certainly understand his feelings.Contrary to what alot of people say on here, I've never told my kids that private school kids are superior. The main thing I teach is work hard as you can and be the best you can be, thats really all it takes to be a winner.

And what fuels the adults whining.....little johnny coming home asking why a school in existence for 7 years (or 9 or 11) is quickly competing for State Championships while his school has been in existence since the 1930's has two to speak of in their entire time competing.  Heck, tell me how many State Championships in Boys and Girls Soccer are currently in CAK's trophy case?  My point is they are beating the system, not that they are bad people.  The system is going to continue to allow that to thrive because Publics don't have the compacity to take the system and munipulate it to their advantage, which is IMO the case with private schools in large metropolitan cities. 

I love playing Hampton and Rockwood and other established Public Schools in East Tennessee because you know they have the same restraints we do.  That is called an equal playing field.

Kaz

And what fuels the adults whining.....little johnny coming home asking why a school in existence for 7 years (or 9 or 11) is quickly competing for State Championships while his school has been in existence since the 1930's has two to speak of in their entire time competing.  Heck, tell me how many State Championships in Boys and Girls Soccer are currently in CAK's trophy case?  My point is they are beating the system, not that they are bad people.  The system is going to continue to allow that to thrive because Publics don't have the compacity to take the system and munipulate it to their advantage, which is IMO the case with private schools in large metropolitan cities. 

I love playing Hampton and Rockwood and other established Public Schools in East Tennessee because you know they have the same restraints we do.  That is called an equal playing field.

Kaz

And thats the way it should be Kaz.

Let's ask this question.  What is the advantages of private schools playing in public divisions?

What would be the disadvantages of them being moved to D2?

Just so you know, I'm involved with private schools.  I just want to get some insight on this thread.

Be careful what you ask for, young grasshopper....

Homeschool teams are allowed to play TSSAA schools but that is it. They comepete in their own district/region/national tournaments.

I believe it is in the by-laws that if a public school does not offer a specific team, swimming, tennis, etc, a student can participate at another school in that sport but still attend their normal school. The same goes for Homeschool kids.

I think it says you can but you have to go to the nearest school with the sport available. I know that Walker Valleys heavy weight wrestler was from Polk. WV is closer to Polk than any other. I actually like the rule for the kid but to me I'm with Wareagle on this one. If you choos to homeschool you choose to do things different. For whatever reason. Not right or wrong just the choice that is made. Just like the private schools chose to be private. So why do you want that one thing? Either in or out.

I hear the term level playing field a lot. I don't know that it will truly ever exist. Both public and private schools will figure out the loop holes and what ever else they can do to go around the rules. In the end what will happen is the kids will be the ones who get the worse end of the outcome just because of this. There are so many different classification in different sports it makes you want to go back to the one championship now that would be something. But it will never be again. Kids now days get the expresso version of everything. We've replaced icons like Elvis and John Wayne and Eviel Knevel with Justin Bieber Zac What ever his name is and Johnny Knoxville. It's a supermarket tabloid instant gratification world we've created. So let's not kid ourselves in what kind of sport championships we are getting now. Oh the games can still be great but the character building wins and losses are fewer and farther between. Just my opinion.

Edited by anotherback

The advantage of a private school playing in the public league is that the private school recruits from where ever they can and a small public has to play with who is in their defined school district/zone or what ever you want to call it.

(We can have an open zone/semi-private school discussion anytime later, I think that they have the same advantage as a private, but lets just keep it totally private and not semi-private right now).

I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT PRIVATES IN DI DON'T RECRUIT, BUT THEY DO.

T$$AA JUST DOES NOT WANT TO INVESTIGATE EVERY RECRUITING RULE VIOLATION THAT IS REPORTED TO THEM. IF THE T$$AA WAS SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING THEIR RULES THEY WOULD HAVE A SATELITE OFFICE IN KNOXVILLE, JACKSON, MEMPHIS, THE BURO, AND CHATTANOOGA.

THEY DON'T WANT THAT BECAUSE UNCLE BERNARD AND THE T$$AA MAFIA WOULD LOOSE ALOT OF MONEY, PLUS THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE PRIVATES (THEY FEAR A LAWSUIT LIKE BA SLAPED ON THEM BACK IN THE DAY.

THEY ARE ALSO AFRAID OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THE MEDIA, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

GRACE IN KNOXVILLE WAS CHEATING AND ALL THE GOT WAS A SLAP ON THE RIST AND THEY KICKED THE KID OUT OF SCHOOL WHEN HE BECAME INELIGIBLE. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE DEATH PENALTY, SENT TO THE REGIONS OF BIG BOY BALL IN DII INSTEAD OF BEATING UP ON THE small publics.

Put T$$AA under control of the state legislature or governors office and things will change. We will get back to the democratic policies of majority rule.