Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

THEY DON'T WANT THAT L is what I think... There are of course some subliminal reasons as well but Point Blank period, THEY don't want that L IMHO

I hear where you are coming from and that may very well be the reason. Just seems like if losing was the case they wouldn't want to play you guys at all. According to prior comments teams don't mind playing at home but then won't return the favor by coming to Whitehaven. Just as mentioned Henry co would not come to ridgeway.

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

One of the main issues is that outside of Memphis, West Tennesee has no large schools in which the Memphis schools can schedule. Going out of state is almost a must when scheduling gets tough. Either that or scheduling smaller schools. I am surprised that more Arkansas teams do not dot the schedules. Little Rock is closer than Nashville I believe.

By the way... What are the subliminal reasons you speak of???

From another post of MINE

I wish those folks understood that for some reason they think our Whitehaven community is the "HOOD"... 

That's the subliminal reason I speak of. You can play a School in the Poplar Corridor (CBHS, MUS, White Station, etc) but can't come to the 38116?

One of the main issues is that outside of Memphis, West Tennesee has no large schools in which the Memphis schools can schedule. Going out of state is almost a must when scheduling gets tough. Either that or scheduling smaller schools. I am surprised that more Arkansas teams do not dot the schedules. Little Rock is closer than Nashville I believe.

Little Rock is maybe 20 to 30 Minutes closer to the West.

West Tenn has schools that THINK they are world betters and have rabid fans... Sign the Contract, they don't want those Ls. lol

This is my thing kwc, I WISH the rest of the Coaches in the Mid-South and Tri-State area that like to think WE like beating up on our smaller school neighbors knew that we not trying to schedule Cupcakes (No Offense Fairley, Mitchell, Westwood, Carver, Hilcrest) but the Schools that would in theory give us more of a "challenge" don't want that Home and Home Contract cause they don't want THEM Ls... I wish those folks understood that for some reason they think our Whitehaven Community is the HOOD... Thank you k-dub for your answer and unique insight!  :mrgreen:

You're welcome BHS. I'm glad you grasped my attempt to handle this topic that is UNIVERSAL throughout urban AMERICA. Whitehaven is unique in Memphis with the support that it gets. This is a phenomenon that plagues EVERY good quality urban program in large cities. It's just not unique to Whitehaven and the urban programs of Memphis. It's a nation wide epidemic.

My solution is for like programs to unite. What do I mean? Well ... let the Dallas Skyline's or whatever that school's name is that tore Ridgeway a new one a few years back get with the Whitehaven's of the world and do home and homes. Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Detroit, DC, Nashville, New Orleans, St. Louis, Louiville, and so on.  Neutral site invitational games where you do it like the Whitehaven classic. Or, you could set up something like the what the HBCU's do, like the Southern Heritage Classic, yet on a high school level. Imagine every year, in the Liberty Bowl, or at Central Stadium big named urban programs going at each other. You could swap cities every year ... one year in Dallas, next year in Memphis ... or you could do it every year in Memphis ... The possibilities are endless and there is PLENTY of MONEY to be made. Can you imagine Whitehaven vs. an urban Atlanta power every year? or White Station vs an urban DC power every year?

The issue is not going away anytime soon. There is no need for any of the urban powerhouse programs in any city to feel the need to have to always travel to a private school or a suburban school in order to play a good quality game with a good payday. Those days are over. I hope the other powerful Memphis urban programs unite with Whitehaven's stance and form an alliance with other major cities and solve their own problem. That way the 'urban stigma' won't be a factor. Why on earth would Ridegway feel the need to travel to play Henry County at Henry County two years in a row just because Henry County WON'T reciprocate the return game? Why even enter that contract? Does that sound like an intelligent decision to you? It doesn't to me. I don't fault Henry County in that decision, I fault Ridgeway. Now, I understand the mentality of the Ridgeway coach and he doesn't care about the double standard. He want's to play the best and if that means traveling to Henry County every year, then so be it. He's not scared nor are his players ... as a matter of fact, they probably relish the idea of going into Henry County and putting an 'L' on those guys. I've got major respect for the Ridgeway coach and their program. But, I wouldn't handle things that way at all.

I know BHS ... I know. Some folks look at the schedule and they think Whitehaven is just trying to beat up on local schools that aren't on Whitehaven's level and that Whitehaven is trying to build it's resume'. I understand that aspect of this. But at some point, you have to take a stand. At some point you have to determine when enough is enough. Do you sell your soul and self respect to go play an MUS at their place every year or CBHS or 'fill in the blank' ... or ... do you take a stand and be the leader in the movement that will have others taking pot shots at you and your program when you decide that you will no longer be made a fool of?

Yes ... there are scheduling issues that schools face based upon the regulating body of that state and the circumstances that any particular school may find itself in. That being said, THIS issue is something that private, suburban, and rural schools do not face. It's unique to urban schools only. Whitehaven is stepping out to be a leader in fighting this issue the only way that makes sense.

Just don't enter into those contracts. Find another way. There are options. You don't have to take the short end of the stick.

Edited by kwc

I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong, but Pearl Cohn, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek and Maplewood do not have this "urban" issue do they? I do not see the Nashville schools that would be considered "urban" having trouble finding games. I still think it has a lot to do with competition that is available and equal size. If Whitehaven was in Nashville, I do not think there would be such a big issue. Just my 2 cents.

I hate to say this in lieu of the conversation,but some low life has stolen all the free weights out of the Whitehaven weightroom yesterday over the dead period. An investigation is underway.

dannyq:

All I can do is SMH. calling them a lowlife is being kind! Thanks for the update.

I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong, but Pearl Cohn, Hunters Lane, Whites Creek and Maplewood do not have this "urban" issue do they? I do not see the Nashville schools that would be considered "urban" having trouble finding games. I still think it has a lot to do with competition that is available and equal size. If Whitehaven was in Nashville, I do not think there would be such a big issue. Just my 2 cents.

GWAVE1:

Whitehaven doesn't have problems finding games. IF Whitehaven wanted they could probably get a game with MUS, or CBHS, or Olive Branch, or even South Panola. I just named you four large schools with good quality football programs in the Memphis area. Two are private ... MUS and CBHS. Two are big time Mississippi football programs. All four programs that I just named  would give Maryville a run for their money every year and win their fair share. That is no exaageration to the level of play of those programs.

That being said. The issues would arise when it would be their turn to come play at Whitehaven Stadium. Everybody is gung-ho when the game is being played at the other school's venue. The story is much different when the game is to be played at Whitehaven Stadium in the midst of Whitehaven. I can remember Whitehaven playing CBHS and MUS ... but those games have ALWAYS taken place in the Liberty Bowl during the Bridges Kick-off classic. Olive Branch and Whitehaven have never played nor has Whitehaven and South Panola.

Those programs will not come and play a game at Whitehaven.

I don't live in Nashville, and I don't have to, to know that those programs you mentioned have never hosted a game against a big time program in Nashville that wasn't an urban program.

IF ... If they did, it was a 'one-time' experience; that I will even go so far as to say this. IF ... if this game happened, i'm confident to say that in all likelyhood, the opposing teams attendance was ... how can I say this ... 'LACKING'.

Edited by kwc

This is why I was surprised but not surprised that we didn't get a Return Game with SHG... That game was NOT supposed to be in Illinois at first... I heard it was supposed to be a Neutral site game. First it was supposed to be Nashville, then it was supposed to be at Southern Illinois University but some way WE ended up traveling to them for a Str8 up AWAY GAME... I say SHG pulled a FAST ONE on us.   <_<

LOLOLOLOL ... it sure looks that way doesn't it!