Webb @ Maryville

Vols12345678

Not sure why so many Oak Ridge people are in this thread. They need to worry about whoever they play game 1. Maybe they can be relevant this year. Pretty sad how far Oak Ridge has fallen.

But back to the Webb/Maryville game... Supposedly Maryville's D is the strenght of the team right now. Who are the playmakers on offense??

The team is still searching for identity on offense. There are some very good skill guys both at RB and WR - just don't know who will be THE guy. Defensively, look out for #79 and #78 - it's hard to miss them.

I was there, too. My son was a captain of the team and a friend of Desmond's..and still is. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. He was tackled by another player and down and as the official blew the whistle an OR player hit him high before he could hit the ground. I can still replay it in my mind 4 years later. I didn't say it was a dirty play. It was unnecessary and classless. It not only didn't intimidate the team, it motivated them to a 35-14 win.

DHandKH.jpg

His mentality is that he wants us to play the best and us moving up would be just that. But, he may decide to stay. I don't know for a fact. Either way I think we will add Maryville to our schedule anyways.

There's probably 40+ Schools that would get the opportunity to move up to 6A super32 before Oak Ridge since the new system was setup to take next largest enrollment school. I don't see that many schools giving up an automatic playoff to allow OR to move up. I don't see Maryville getting the opportunity to move up unless the system is changed.

I don't see Maryville getting the opportunity to move up unless the system is changed.

I tend to agree BCSF. If you are a bad team, then you have a choice of staying 6A losing a lot but making playoffs or moving to 5A losing a lot but not making playoffs. Maybe there will be enough middle-of-pack teams think they could make a state championship run in 5A, so they elect to move down - but I doubt it. 

In the back of my mind though I can't help but think the calls had already been made to get murvil back in 6A before the vote ever took place. If not, then murvil can try for a gold ball in 5A. I don't think they have one of those.

In the back of my mind though I can't help but think the calls had already been made to get murvil back in 6A before the vote ever took place. If not, then murvil can try for a gold ball in 5A. I don't think they have one of those.

I've got one at the Jr. High. My student said it's amazing how many real smart kids are at the Jr. High this year. They are promoting about 200 geniuses from the 7th and 8th grade to the 9th grade.

so since Oak Ridge has about 100 - 150 less Students than Maryville ??? LOL , Maryville beat Blackman last year , a school with nearly a Thousand more Students .... LOL I'm just giving you a hard time Sweet , but yes we had to hear that all the time before , and you guys should hear it too . I got tired of it , maybe you guys should too , there's no way I'd want to ever play in a lower Division again . 

I hear people comparing the size of the school. Does that really matter today?  It's about the size and talent of your football team.  So Blackman has a 1,000 more kids, not all kids are in to or even play sports anymore. Today's kids are so involved in other things (cellphones, video games, social media, music and extreme sports) and many just lose or don't have interest in athletics. Maryville has an incredible feeder program and a system that works.  I know the argument, (you have more kids to pull from at larger schools) from a pure talent stand point, that may not always be the case. I think comparing sizes is more an excuse then a hindrance. Case in point, Greenback (1A) less then 400 students beating Karns (6A) over 1800 kids in a scrimmage.

Edited by QSouth89