Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

Both of these teams played games before this one and tried to show as little as possible to each other so don't get caught up in how those games went. Both team played possum as much as possible. It's very obvious where the weak spots are on both teams and I expect both teams to hit those areas very hard. I expect this to be a good game but I believe Maryville wins 28-14 in a closer game than the score will be just like two years ago. You also have to realize Maryville plays another game just six days after this one that is just as important and if the Rebs have to show all their hands in this game it could open a can of worms for the next one at West High.

Yea...Alcoa only beat that 6A school 42-14 with the starters not touching the ball in the second half.

Doesn't matter the size of the school really. When has Mo-town East ever been known for having a great football program? Would you feel the same if they whipped up on that big 6A school Karns a few years ago when they were 6A. Quality of the prgram means everything, not the size.

Both of these teams played games before this one and tried to show as little as possible to each other so don't get caught up in how those games went. Both team played possum as much as possible. It's very obvious where the weak spots are on both teams and I expect both teams to hit those areas very hard. I expect this to be a good game but I believe Maryville wins 28-14 in a closer game than the score will be just like two years ago. You also have to realize Maryville plays another game just six days after this one that is just as important and if the Rebs have to show all their hands in this game it could open a can of worms for the next one at West High.

What is it about the SkeeterDome that makes Alcoa play better in this rivalry game? Whatever happens, I just hope it's a game worth watching. All signs seem to point to Maryville winning, BUT that's why we're playing the game. 50 hours til kickoff!

What is it about the SkeeterDome that makes Alcoa play better in this rivalry game? Whatever happens, I just hope it's a game worth watching. All signs seem to point to Maryville winning, BUT that's why we're playing the game. 50 hours til kickoff!

One reason I think this game will be close is what you just said. Even though Maryville is 17-3 in the last 20 ballgames vs Alcoa the games at Maryville are always closer. When Maryville has played at Alcoa most of the games were butt kickings.

SkeeterDome, got to love that description. Saw a pic of the proposed Alcoa facility with the new "jumbotron." Very impressive. Exactly 2x the size of Maryville's. Now all they need is a field house and they will have the number 1facility in the Tennessee.

Your right, that's what we play the game for and it will be a good game. Your also right that Alcoa does play good at Maryville for some reason. The one big thing that always seems to happen to Alcoa for some reason is the one big mistake like the botched kickoff return against Maryville two years ago at the end of the game that nailed the coffin shut for Alcoa. I've seen it over and over again for almost fifty years of watching these two teams play. It's almost like what will they do this year.

Edited by BarneySox2007

You said it perfect.

I always find it amusing when people say "oh, Alcoa would beat this 5A school or 6A school handily" Yeah, well Alcoa has more football players on their team than 99% of those bigger schools. For a school that has 500 students their football team makes up dang near a quarter of it alone. Means nothing.

Unknown's for Fridays Battle of Pistol Creek Alcoa vs. Maryville. 

Alcoa appears to be a "team" as opposed to a group of "stars". Team unity is the key to playing well against any well coached team which Maryville and Alcoa are. Playing 2 games last week will not hurt Alcoa as the 1st team only played a quarter and a half in each game. If anything it helped them. No injuries from the bookend games.  Maryville can run a 50 defense to stack the middle and my question is does Alcoa have the speed to get to the corner while Maryville play a five man front?  Alcoa's overall speed is always a big equalizer. Not so sure they have that on this team. Alcoa has good depth, as does Maryville, so I think that's about even. How do you tackle Tyson? First you have to get by the full back who is blocking ahead of Tyson. If Alcoa can do a good job of that then they can avoid numerous three and outs. On the other hand,with Maryville you must stop the read option. Alcoa cannot let QB run the ball. Webb made the QB pitch on every play. Well with 4 or 5 good running backs and two very good ones, you may want to do something else. Cam Maryville and Alcoa  QB's manage the game? Good question. If the Maryville QB does and does not throw any interceptions, Maryville is in the drivers seat. If the Alcoa QB can sustain drive then Maryville will have to do something extra to win. Cannot say Alcoa is susceptible to big plays, but Maryville has been through the air during their scrimmages and the first game.  Alcoa does not have a kicker. In a close game, the automatic extra point could be big. Bottom line the team with the least turnovers, the team that gives up the least big plays and the least  three and outs in my opinion, wins.