Maryville, Fulton, and Morning Sports Talk

GovMan

So I've been listening to Doc, Jeff, & Heather this a.m. (Thursday) and so far here's what I've taken away:

• Heather says that "there have been some teams that have talked trash about Marvyille in the past" and as a result "Coach Quarles has ran up the score on them." {She didn't give any specific incidents}
  • At some point, Fulton players challenged Maryville to a scrimmage, but Maryville refused. (from a caller)
  • Campbell County competed very well with Fulton in a pre-season scrimmage, matching them score-for-score. (from a caller)
  • A few years back, Maryville was playing South Doyle and was lining up to attempt a field goal at the end of the first half (up 3 scores).  The Rebels jumped off side, the SD fans got rowdy, so George sent in his offense after the penalty and threw a long touchdown class -- proving he will "jack up the score". (from a caller "Buddy")
  • Heather doesn't like it because neither Maryville nor Fulton will play teams from the Chattanooga area or the middle Tennessee area.  She stated, "California high school teams fly places to play other teams, so why can't Maryville or Fulton?"

Interesting morning I thought!

Here's my one legitimate thought I have about Fulton scoring 80+ the past two weeks.  I keep hearing folks defend Fulton by saying they "just can't help it."  And lots of good reasons are given.  But in the past few years, with the talent Maryville has had and considering some of the opponents they've faced (my Governors included), WHY have Maryville never put up 80?  The Rebels had 66 last year against WB, and that's the highest I remember them scoring in a while.  Would it not make sense with some of the talent, depth disparity over the years, that Maryville would have had one of these 80+ nights if indeed "it's just impossible not to?"  Or is Fulton at a different level than even Maryville has been?  Serious question.

• Upvote 2

In it's first game against Powell, Fulton's first teamers played the first half and led 48-0.  Those guys never saw the field in the second half. 

So, you've got backups - mostly 3rd and 4th teamers playing the second half with a running clock.  Fulton only ran 11 offensive plays in the second half - all runs, yet they still scored 35 points with those backups, and according to one of the members of the Fulton staff, the kid who scored the last 2 TDs wasn't even a starter on the freshman team a year ago.

So, what could Fulton have done?  Do you take a knee in the middle of the third with 3rd and 4th teamers to keep from "embarrassing" the other team?  To me that would be more embarrassing than giving up 83 points. 

Isn't it up to the opposition to make a play every now and then? 

And in the second game against Bearden that Fulton scored over 80, keep in mind that Powell had outscored Bearden 21-0 in just one quarter of football two weeks earlier in the jamboree.

Really over the Fulton bashing.  I have no ties to Fulton, other than being friends with a couple of their staff.  I have yet to hear what they should have done differently.  One can hardly have backups in the game to start the third quarter and not expect the coaches to let those guys play at least a little bit. 

And if one wants to know what is going on in high school sports, that is certainly not the source to get it from, by the way.  Your points prove it. 

Edited by HTV

So I've been listening to Doc, Jeff, & Heather this a.m. (Thursday) and so far here's what I've taken away:

• Heather says that "there have been some teams that have talked trash about Marvyille in the past" and as a result "Coach Quarles has ran up the score on them." {She didn't give any specific incidents}
  • At some point, Fulton players challenged Maryville to a scrimmage, but Maryville refused. (from a caller)
  • Campbell County competed very well with Fulton in a pre-season scrimmage, matching them score-for-score. (from a caller)
  • A few years back, Maryville was playing South Doyle and was lining up to attempt a field goal at the end of the first half (up 3 scores).  The Rebels jumped off side, the SD fans got rowdy, so George sent in his offense after the penalty and threw a long touchdown class -- proving he will "jack up the score". (from a caller "Buddy")
  • Heather doesn't like it because neither Maryville nor Fulton will play teams from the Chattanooga area or the middle Tennessee area.  She stated, "California high school teams fly places to play other teams, so why can't Maryville or Fulton?"

Here's my one legitimate thought I have about Fulton scoring 80+ the past two weeks.  I keep hearing folks defend Fulton by saying they "just can't help it."  And lots of good reasons are given.  But in the past few years, with the talent Maryville has had and considering some of the opponents they've faced (my Governors included), WHY have Maryville never put up 80?  The Rebels had 66 last year against WB, and that's the highest I remember them scoring in a while.  Would it not make sense with some of the talent, depth disparity over the years, that Maryville would have had one of these 80+ nights if indeed "it's just impossible not to?"  Or is Fulton at a different level than even Maryville has been?  Serious question.

I hope murvil don't schedule a team like Booker T until my kid has graduated.

As for the morning show: ignorance is bliss.

In it's first game against Powell, Fulton's first teamers played the first half and led 48-0.  Those guys never saw the field in the second half. 

So, you've got backups - mostly 3rd and 4th teamers playing the second half with a running clock.  Fulton only ran 11 offensive plays in the second half - all runs, yet they still scored 35 points with those backups, and according to one of the members of the Fulton staff, the kid who scored the last 2 TDs wasn't even a starter on the freshman team a year ago.

So, what could Fulton have done?  Do you take a knee in the middle of the third with 3rd and 4th teamers to keep from "embarrassing" the other team?  To me that would be more embarrassing than giving up 83 points. 

Isn't it up to the opposition to make a play every now and then? 

And in the second game against Bearden that Fulton scored over 80, keep in mind that Powell had outscored Bearden 21-0 in just one quarter of football two weeks earlier in the jamboree.

Really over the Fulton bashing.  I have no ties to Fulton, other than being friends with a couple of their staff.  I have yet to hear what they should have done differently.  One can hardly have backups in the game to start the third quarter and not expect the coaches to let those guys play at least a little bit. 

And if one wants to know what is going on in high school sports, that is certainly not the source to get it from, by the way.  Your points prove it. 

Hard to believe there was not a player that Fulton could put at running back that Bearden or Powell could tackle. They must be loaded from top to bottom.

Edited by strongx

Funny stuff, I had a good friend on the Karns staff last year and he told me that he him self called Quarles to do a scrimmage and Quarles said their schedule was full, maybe he was scared of us as well. The CC thing is hilarious, I guess they really got some studs that transferred in, simple thing is Fulton has done a great job doing what they do and Maryville as well, it's like WB beating Maryville in jamboree, everyone thinking WB is ready and Maryville not as good as advertised, bet the score will be 45 - 0 when they play in regular season same with CC and Fulton , if CC played TD for TD then Fulton must have been playing some third and fourth string guys trying to find a diamond in the rough or just maybe CC is the new top program after one year of success playing in a very bad district either way, Fulton and Maryville are on top as usual and my Beavers on the bottom so everything is still in alignment...

The games Fulton have played have been blow outs because of the teams they are playing. Last week against Bearden they fumbled the 8 times in the game and threw a int. Fulton played hard and Bearden was scared and it showed in the game. Fulton tried to just run the ball after awhile but the running back kept breaking tackles. Yes Fulton threw the ball deep a couple times early in the game but it's not there fault the Bearden DB didn't run with the guy. IMO they tried to play a regular game there wasn't anything they did to show effort in running up score. When you get the ball inside the 20 4 times in a game early in the first half your going give up a lot of points. When Bearden had there best play the guy fumbled and Fulton player ran it back and literally walked to the end zone from 30 yards out. That's not running a score up that's the other team quitting IMO