Maryville, Fulton, and Morning Sports Talk

GovMan

Is it also bad sportsmanship/running up the score if you leave your best player in at safety on defense until the end of the game to keep the other team from breaking a long one? That way you preserve your shutout for the starters who have worked so hard during the week. Why should you just let the other team score by playing subs? 

And "no" it wasn't fulton. I have only seen fulton in person once in the last several years - it was a great game with Rogan at RB vs Alcoa. I look forward to seeing them in the championship game on the tube.

I heard the morning show.  I thought it ironic that Doc dogged Alcoa several years ago when they scored 91 (I think) against GP in the playoffs.  He really gave the Alcoa team and coaches a hard time about running up the score.   This morning he was defending Fulton after they scored in the 80s twice.  He said most of high scoring was Bearden's fault (he is probably right).  However, several years ago, according to Doc, it was all Alcoa's fault and not GP's.  I believe he's got two sides of his mouth.  I guess scoring in the 80s isn't too many points but scoring in the 90s is.

For the most part, I personally don't blame Fulton or Alcoa.

Edited by OldRebel2

I only saw GQ put his starters back in twice after he took them out. Running up the score.LOL

1. It was either 2006-07 but I remember GQ took starters out of the Rhea County playoff game. MHS was ahead 35-7 midway through the 3rd quarter. Rhea Left starters in and scored 2 TD'S. After that GQ put his 1st string back in and Maryville scored again. Final was 42-20 i think. Sometimes GQ will pull starters too early.

2. This was the playoff game with Bearden in 2010 when Devrin Young went off. After 3 quarters the score was 45-20 Maryville. GQ put in reserves in 4th quarter. Bearden left starters in. On offense 1st series Backup QB Austin Canfield was sacked by #42. Canfield was laying on the ground. 42 stood there like a Gladiator Warror who slayed someone. He was waving his hands in the air and the Bearden Fans were cheering. That not only made Maryville fans angry. It made the players and GQ Mad. Starters were put in and Maryville scored quickly to make it 52-20. After that Starters were pulled for good in that game.

Over the years it is amazing how many scrimmages and games Maryville lost. I had former coworkers tell me their team destroyed Maryville in scrimmages and real games. Funny thing is I look in the program and only a few people were right. Most is hot air.

Like Oldrebel2 said. It is funny how Doc was all over Alcoa for scoring 91 on GP but said Fulton done no wrong. All those Knoxville media want so badly for a Knoxville team to beat Maryville or Alcoa. I guarantee you all those people want Knox West to win so badly. You know Packer will be a West Cheerleader tonight.

Here's my one legitimate thought I have about Fulton scoring 80+ the past two weeks.  I keep hearing folks defend Fulton by saying they "just can't help it."  And lots of good reasons are given.  But in the past few years, with the talent Maryville has had and considering some of the opponents they've faced (my Governors included), WHY have Maryville never put up 80?  The Rebels had 66 last year against WB, and that's the highest I remember them scoring in a while.  Would it not make sense with some of the talent, depth disparity over the years, that Maryville would have had one of these 80+ nights if indeed "it's just impossible not to?"  Or is Fulton at a different level than even Maryville has been?  Serious question.

I agree with you, GovMan.  Both Ensworth and BA have had some pretty good offenses in recent years and neither scored over mid-50's last year in any game.  Overall, they play the toughest schedules in the state, but both have trouble finding in-state non-district opponents and thus end up playing a couple of teams that had not quite "found their rhythm".  Ensworth scored a total of "only" 55 points (7 in the second half) in a game against one such team: their starting tailback had 3 carries for 104 yards and 3 touchdowns and their second string tailback had 1 carry for 34 yards and one touchdown.  Something tells me that they could have probably scored 80 or more in that game, but they did not.  

My point is that no matter how good Fulton is (I have not seen them this year, but they were superb when I saw them last year, though they kept the pedal down longer than I thought was necessary), I just don't buy the "we couldn't help it" defense.  

Tough call, if team A has put in a bunch of second team freshmen and team B can't stop them then B is as responsible as team A. The problem lies when A has put in the reserves it is usually so far out of hand that B has put in reserves as well and the beat down continues. One thing you can not do is ask a kid to not play hard!! What ever the level or team be it starter or fourth team one thing you always do is try to get the most out of your kids.

I agree with you, GovMan. Both Ensworth and BA have had some pretty good offenses in recent years and neither scored over mid-50's last year in any game. Overall, they play the toughest schedules in the state, but both have trouble finding in-state non-district opponents and thus end up playing a couple of teams that had not quite "found their rhythm". Ensworth scored a total of "only" 55 points (7 in the second half) in a game against one such team: their starting tailback had 3 carries for 104 yards and 3 touchdowns and their second string tailback had 1 carry for 34 yards and one touchdown. Something tells me that they could have probably scored 80 or more in that game, but they did not.

My point is that no matter how good Fulton is (I have not seen them this year, but they were superb when I saw them last year, though they kept the pedal down longer than I thought was necessary), I just don't buy the "we couldn't help it" defense.

RR your "theory" makes sense but if you were at the Powell game what would you have done different to keep from scoring, FHS scored twice before 2 min left the clock and before 3 min left the clock they had scored 21. They ran 11 offensive plays in 2nd half ALL runs and generated 35 points. So I guess you tell the Soph and Frosh to not score, does that solve it... I was at that game and I really don't know what they could have done differently except let linemen run the ball like Little League teams do some for fun. Edited by knoxvillefootball01