Week 4: Oneida @ Greenback

crow

BigDave we appreciate the comments for sure but when November rolls around if we're still playing we'll be on the 2A bracket. After hearing the stats & listening to the second half both teams impressed me for sure.

I'm glad they held out another week on #1 pulling the wagon. That one kinda stumps me also. Only thing I can figure is possibly a health/durability concern. Maybe they think he won't stay healthy in that kind of a role figuring a healthy Anderson for a season at WR & occasionally running him is better than hooking the wagon to him for half & doing without the rest. Just speculation. Obviously I have no actual information about the situation.

I dont fully understand either if its a media thing(trying for one kid not to outshine ANYONE else on the team or not)but look at stats for each player and you know who to throw the saddle on.Regardless this is the kind of game we needed to see who we can depend on and two things stood out.The D is tough and number 1 has to get more involved!Good game to watch and the time flew by,its no secret i despise bye weeks!

I dont fully understand either if its a media thing(trying for one kid not to outshine ANYONE else on the team or not)but look at stats for each player and you know who to throw the saddle on.Regardless this is the kind of game we needed to see who we can depend on and two things stood out.The D is tough and number 1 has to get more involved!Good game to watch and the time flew by,its no secret i despise bye weeks!

I agree and felt GB could have won the game a couple of different ways much earlier. I still thought they were going to win late, probably with a field goal. When it looked like Onieda would be forced to either try a long FG or turn the ball over on downs, GB jumps offsides and gives them a fresh set. I don't know if GB put everything they had into the previous series and had nothing left or they just quit, but after the penalty GB had the ball shoved down their throat on one running play after another, endiing with an Oneida stroll in the endzone.  Game over. A couple of hail Marys kept people from leaving until the final whistle but I feel the game ended about 4 minutes earlier on a penalty. This was a game GB could have and probably should have won. If GB is to get over the hump from a team who just gets to the playoffs to a team serious about playing for a championship this is the type of game they need to win. Not happy with the late defense collapse but I think the coaches need to take themselves to the woodshed after this one and give the players a day off.

I agree and felt GB could have won the game a couple of different ways much earlier. I still thought they were going to win late, probably with a field goal. When it looked like Onieda would be forced to either try a long FG or turn the ball over on downs, GB jumps offsides and gives them a fresh set. I don't know if GB put everything they had into the previous series and had nothing left or they just quit, but after the penalty GB had the ball shoved down their throat on one running play after another, endiing with an Oneida stroll in the endzone. Game over. A couple of hail Marys kept people from leaving until the final whistle but I feel the game ended about 4 minutes earlier on a penalty. This was a game GB could have and probably should have won. If GB is to get over the hump from a team who just gets to the playoffs to a team serious about playing for a championship this is the type of game they need to win. Not happy with the late defense collapse but I think the coaches need to take themselves to the woodshed after this one and give the players a day off.

+1 maj,i sent a text to friend at another game after the penalty and said just what you have posted it let the air out of the D,who looked really focused the whole game! Edited by orngnblk

These are just random observations.  First off, GB has a fine football team and the game lived up to it's advanced billing. (how there was no write up in the Knox paper is beyond me)  I agree that Anderson is an excellent back and from where I was it didn't look like they used him inappropriately for the most part.  On his TD run the strong side linebacker was on an inside blitz call which ended up clearing him a lane to run untouched.  On his reverse run that netted a first down (great run) there was an obvious hold on the play (#40 essentially got tackled by two OL) which was why TL got so hot over his BP probably hit an all time high.  Yes, Anderson is a excellent player but GB is not a one trick pony imo and getting others involved is sound coaching from what I was seeing.  Someone mentioned the Meigs Co.- Rockwood score and it could very well be because they have overused Long (another dynamic back) to such an extent that the kid could be worn out after five games. (something to ponder) 

Oneida manned up on that last drive.  Yes, they jumped offsides on the fouth and one but you can't assume GB would have made the stop the way Oneida was moving. (and I'm not saying I assumed we would have gotten it but we were pushing well)  I kept quiet about #19.....I guess the word is out!  One last thing.....on the Hail Mary, there was an obvious offensive pass interferance that did not get thrown and, in the risk of ticking someone off, that game was as clean as 4 total flags. (2 Oneida/2 GB)

BOTH teams are good.  I don't think the fans should put that outcome entirely on the GB coaching staff.  They are 4-1 for a reason.  My two cents.

Kazzy :thumb:

P.S.  GREAT GAME BY TWO EXCELLENT TEAMS.

We thought the same thing during the Meigs game. If they fed #1 the ball we might have been out of the game after the first quarter. I still think Greenback should be in the conversation for the top spot in the east in 1a. Lost a close game to a very good Oneida team.

These are just random observations.  First off, GB has a fine football team and the game lived up to it's advanced billing. (how there was no write up in the Knox paper is beyond me)  I agree that Anderson is an excellent back and from where I was it didn't look like they used him inappropriately for the most part.  On his TD run the strong side linebacker was on an inside blitz call which ended up clearing him a lane to run untouched.  On his reverse run that netted a first down (great run) there was an obvious hold on the play (#40 essentially got tackled by two OL) which was why TL got so hot over his BP probably hit an all time high.  Yes, Anderson is a excellent player but GB is not a one trick pony imo and getting others involved is sound coaching from what I was seeing.  Someone mentioned the Meigs Co.- Rockwood score and it could very well be because they have overused Long (another dynamic back) to such an extent that the kid could be worn out after five games. (something to ponder) 

Oneida manned up on that last drive.  Yes, they jumped offsides on the fouth and one but you can't assume GB would have made the stop the way Oneida was moving. (and I'm not saying I assumed we would have gotten it but we were pushing well)  I kept quiet about #19.....I guess the word is out!  One last thing.....on the Hail Mary, there was an obvious offensive pass interferance that did not get thrown and, in the risk of ticking someone off, that game was as clean as 4 total flags. (2 Oneida/2 GB)

BOTH teams are good.  I don't think the fans should put that outcome entirely on the GB coaching staff.  They are 4-1 for a reason.  My two cents.

Kazzy :thumb:

P.S.  GREAT GAME BY TWO EXCELLENT TEAMS.

For the most part i agree.Coaches dont short arm passes and let them bounce off their hands for a pick,coaches dont telegraph who they are passing to.My only opinion is number 1 WAS the best athlete on the field as he has been every game the past two yrs,yes you can over work your mule but we havnt let him break much of a sweat since the first two games.We have some nice backs no doubt,buts its hard to win tough games rotating 4 backs.Rhythm my friend,have to establish a rythym.19 didnt have a great first half got stuffed alot but they kept on plugging then he got his rythym!Last i will say about this one it was worth the price to watch.Good luck Indians.

I'm looking forward to the Onieda-Oakdale game. OHS had better watch out for them,they're for real. What radio station carries Onieda games I'd like to hear the Oakdale game online.

WBNT 105.5 FM. If u download the TuneIn app they are there also audio at www.hive105.com twitter @ohsradio for pretty much play by play text updates & ohsradio has a Facebook page with updates as well.

Ok, got up this morning feeling really good about a tough win.  Your starting Half-back goes down and you find a way to fight through it? Plain ole tough Oneida team.  Two backs in two weeks, off week looking really good right now.  

But, after reading everything here from Greenback was the better team on the field to blaming coaches, geezes it was a great game both ways, I would consider both teams equal.  Play it tomorrow, Greenback probably wins.  But take nothing away from the fightin Injuns, they did whatever it took to win the ballgame on Friday night.

Kind of ironic that the defensive backfield for the Indians played so well on a night after being run in the ground for weeks that they cannot defend the pass unless the line gets pressure.  Well, the boys played really great back there all night from closing in on tackles, breaking up passes, and TWO interceptions.  As the year goes on Bowling #20, West #7, Sexton #15, and who is found to replace Newport #33, could be a very tough unit to pass on as well as run based on how each has matured since the Rockwood game.

Fourth Quarter O-Line play-----------Exceptional, they decided it was time to work and they outworked GB.  Backs got bull-nosed and boy I could have swore I saw Earl Campbell running over defenders on his way down the field, had to look again and it was #19 in a orange and white uniform, great running Kid!

Great Game, both teams, but in response to other posts, Oneida was the better team on the scoreboard Friday night.  Just lucky it was Friday night and not today. 

Edited by thelawking