Henry County Patriots @ 6-0 Springfield Yellow Jackets

JacketLover

It's been a long drought since the Jackets have defeated Henry County , In 1980 Jackets won at Paris 29-7. The leading rusher in the game was the late Jesse Gray who had 123 yards rushing, he had also threw a touchdown pass from his half-back position in the ol' wishbone. Jesse is the father of current Oakland A's pitching sensation Sonny Gray , who also won back to back state titles at Smyrna as starting quarterback , moving on to Vanderbilt to be stand-out pitcher before turning pro. His grandfather Sonny Gray was a stand-out for the Jackets in the late 40's for coach Boyce Smith. Henry County leads the series 8-1 . Springfield also played the old Paris-Grove High in the late 40's and early 50's four times. SHS went 3-1 against Grove High School. There is lots of excitement for this years game , wish we had the seating that Boyce Smith Field once had prior to the bleacher replacement in 2005 .

It's been a long drought since the Jackets have defeated Henry County , In 1980 Jackets won at Paris 29-7. The leading rusher in the game was the late Jesse Gray who had 123 yards rushing, he had also threw a touchdown pass from his half-back position in the ol' wishbone. Jesse is the father of current Oakland A's pitching sensation Sonny Gray , who also won back to back state titles at Smyrna as starting quarterback , moving on to Vanderbilt to be stand-out pitcher before turning pro. His grandfather Sonny Gray was a stand-out for the Jackets in the late 40's for coach Boyce Smith. Henry County leads the series 8-1 . Springfield also played the old Paris-Grove High in the late 40's and early 50's four times. SHS went 3-1 against Grove High School. There is lots of excitement for this years game , wish we had the seating that Boyce Smith Field once had prior to the bleacher replacement in 2005 .

I remember those days. Thanks for the interesting bit on Sonny Gray. I,too, wish the old seating was still available.

Springfield beat some pretty good Grove High Blue Devil teams in those days.

GO BIG RED

Alot of excitement on this thread! That's what I like to see. Reminds of old days on CoachT...

Commish - any tailgating going on around Boyce this year? Would love to hook up sometime before the game to catch up if possible.

Go Big RED!!!

Drew, since the Commissioner doesn't live too far from the stadium he should have a big tail gate at his house, ðŸ‘ðŸ‘!! I do not know of any personally, but I have seen some Springfield fans in the lot behind the visitors stands the last couple of games doing a little tail gating.

Sounds like it may be time to invoke TSSAA rule #40-117-v:

#40-117-v:  Any team, who is a visitor in week 5, and having lost their opener on the road, and having lost a subsequent game by one point on a last minute drive at home, and who is playing an undefeated team on the road, may substitute a defensive player who has not, as yet, been officially on the visiting team's roster, provided that player did not regularly play that defensive position at any time in high school previously and who is not currently on an NFL roster.

John Hudson is busy.  We choose Marsalis Teague.

Edited by FactsOnly

#40-117-v:  Any team, who is a visitor in week 5, and having lost their opener on the road, and having lost a subsequent game by one point on a last minute drive at home, and who is playing an undefeated team on the road, may substitute a defensive player who has not, as yet, been officially on the visiting team's roster, provided that player did not regularly play that defensive position at any time in high school previously and who is not currently on an NFL roster.

John Hudson is busy.  We choose Marsalis Teague.

Can't do it, Fax. This is week 6.

GO BIG RED

#40-117-v: Any team, who is a visitor in week 5, and having lost their opener on the road, and having lost a subsequent game by one point on a last minute drive at home, and who is playing an undefeated team on the road, may substitute a defensive player who has not, as yet, been officially on the visiting team's roster, provided that player did not regularly play that defensive position at any time in high school previously and who is not currently on an NFL roster.

John Hudson is busy. We choose Marsalis Teague.

I would not put it past Coach Counce to pull some obscure rule out of his hat to win a game, especially after the false start debacle at the end of the 2010 game in Springfield. We did not like it at all, but it was perfectly legal. Have to give credit where credit is due, though it took my blood pressure a year to level off after that night, 😂😂!

Drew, since the Commissioner doesn't live too far from the stadium he should have a big tail gate at his house, !! I do not know of any personally, but I have seen some Springfield fans in the lot behind the visitors stands the last couple of games doing a little tail gating.

Drew, I have had some discussion with the wife about some pre-game tailgating at our home.  We live about 2 blocks from the stadium.  Problem is I am helping with our Rotary Club golf outing that day.  I owe you and OldDevil for the three years you have been such gracious hosts to us.   Give me some time and let me see what I can do.  Would love to have you, OldDevil, MSURacer to drop by and meet LEON and Jacket Fan.  If not pre-game I will look you up at the game.  Since I won't have much time it will have to be something quick and easy.  I won't have the time to do something like those delicious rice and beans you feed us last year.

Edited by TheCommissioner