South Pitt vs. Marion (Moore man against that Ross man)

Roy Dillard

Well recon clears things up a tad. Them Rose Colored Glass wearing kinfolkes round the jailhouse has been boasting about their return to dominance, recon us fellers knows about lying lips!! LOPAO. ...... Congrats to SC the real dominate team this........year!

I recon so too. I believe coach Ross learned real good about those lying lips from the faculty at S.P. Recon that's why he wasn't employed there too long.Lol

Why is that? Because they can actually read the name on the side of the school? It cracks me up that some of you guys just absolutely despise the fact that over 100 years ago they named the high school in jasper Marion County since it was funded by the county instead of the city in which it was located. Lol

Actually I call it Jasper because it makes my buddy Steve mad. He went to Jasper. I figure if it gets to him it must bother others. Win/Win. You see those Jasper fellers aren't to smart. They think when their school gets tired of being beaten and cancels a game it's because the other guys were skerd.

As a college professor, I think good smaller schools are better than "average" junior college sized schools due to the impact it has on socialization etc. At the end of the day, teacher student ratios have to be maintained. You may save on administrators but you lose on busing. You may be able to offer a few more specialty courses, but that sometimes doesn't pan out as billed initially.

Edit: One more thing, there is a reason there has been a growth in private schools over the past 25 years. I mean the number of schools and not just the size.

I really love this rivalry as much as anyone but if there was a way to maintain student teacher ratios and offer more classes/sports/vocational opportunities then I would fully support it. Combining these schools would not make it a large school by numbers compared to your 5a and 6a schools in Tennessee. As far as transportation I can see how it could impact this decision. Marion County is a very large county. It is also a poor county as far as average income goes. I would love to see how much the county forks out to maintain three high high schools, the newest of them built in 1973 I believe. Also the salary for 3 principles has got to be pretty large.

Sounds like you have done your homeowrk. When you see schools in dire need of repair or replacement and know the state isn't going to do anything its disturbing. You have 3 high schools in this county with 500 in one maybe 350 in one and a little over 200 in another it would seem plausible to consolidate.

Not pointing fingers, and I know nothing about your system...but...it is the county's obligation to maintain its schools. Our system is currently finishing up a five million dollar upgrade...on our own(no assistance from the county commission)...it can be done.

2010 W Boyd-Buchanan 22 Marion County 6

2009 W Boyd-Buchanan 28 Marion County 6

2009 W Boyd-Buchanan 21 Marion County 7

2008 L Boyd-Buchanan 6 Marion County 7

2008 W Boyd-Buchanan 21 Marion County 20

2007 W Boyd-Buchanan 28 Marion County 0

2006 L Boyd-Buchanan 17 Marion County 20

2005 W Boyd-Buchanan 16 Marion County 6

I'll just leave this here. Boyd was so scared after winning 5 of the last 6 that we ran away. Lol

Starting next year no more running away.

• Upvote 1

Not pointing fingers, and I know nothing about your system...but...it is the county's obligation to maintain its schools. Our system is currently finishing up a five million dollar upgrade...on our own(no assistance from the county commission)...it can be done.

Not sure if the county is supposed to or not here. Doesn't seem like it. 5 million??? Not possible here I wouldn't think.

Not sure if the county is supposed to or not here. Doesn't seem like it. 5 million??? Not possible here I wouldn't think.

If business people were in charge consolidation would have already happened. Spend more now to save in the long run. With government being in charge I don't think consolidation will ever be given any serious thought.

Tifwiw

Edited by orangeslice13

Just make the payments...lol ! funny but true. Also, there's a study (don't recall from which source) that could be google searched...the optimal school size for student achievement is in the 600-650 range.

Identify the problems? The problem with ALL public schooling is it ain't what it once was! Politics & State mandated regulations severely restricts the public schools authority. That is exactly why there are all the privates now. Politicians run the schools with bigger agendas in mind. Take the politics away, give the schools back their authority everyone gains, except the politically motivated. WHITWELL,Jasper, SP & SC are recent examples of the lack of institutional authority. Wondering, jest where do you support?

OP hit the nail on the head.  The government has made it impossible for teachers to discipline their students in public schools.  And it bleeds over into sports. It is not THE reason South Pittsburg is down this year, but it is certainly one of the reasons.

Don't know about the east, but over here in the west that model has failed. Small community connected schools preform at a higher level academically than the bigger consolidated schools. Not relevant to the schools, but important none the less, are the communities themselves. Close the school and doom the community, it's been done.

The proof is in the pudding...check the greatschools website, they rank the schools individually on preformance, and the small rural schools are (for the most part) above the larger ones. Be careful what you wish for...once changed, it's over and done for our generation, no going back soon.

For the monetary gain...figure the cost of a new facility, then factor the increase in busing (mileage) to a central location...long time to recoup the initial expense, if ever, as the transportation increase is infinite. Now consider the source of the monetary gain offered by centralizing...cutting salaries...sounds good on paper, but which teacher at your school would you volunteer to "fire"?

Sorry to stray from the topic, just that I've done lots of research on the subject, and it's something that I feel strongly about.

The Jasper game is over and done with.  I don't think there's a topic to stray from at this point..

I also believe that if our kids had more opportunity then we would not lose near as many of them to schools like Boyd, Baylor, McCallie, N.D. ect.... This county has a ton of athletes that leave here for the private sector. Not saying all of them would stay but I believe most would. Soccer, golf, swimming, lacross, track, are just a few things that could be possible for all kids in the county just to name a few on the sports side.