South Pitt vs. Marion (Moore man against that Ross man)

Roy Dillard

Maybe this won't jinx them, but Seq's LL Juniors and Seniors are both undefeated and playing in the finals Saturday. Juniors vs Jasper, Seniors vs South Pittsburg. Seniors won 27-20 and 14-12 vs SP in the season so either could win Saturday. One of the Seniors' players ran for 2000+ yards and 28 touchdowns so far. He had 250 yards and 4 touchdowns last Saturday vs Jasper and had 350 yards against North Jackson. I believe one of their other good runners has been injured since about halfway through the season. Those 2 and several more have a lot of potential out of that group and should be moving on to middle school ball next year. All four of Seq's LL teams are in the finals.

Well recon clears things up a tad. Them Rose Colored Glass wearing kinfolkes round the jailhouse has been boasting about their return to dominance, recon us fellers knows about lying lips!! LOPAO. ...... Congrats to SC the real dominate team this........year!

Truth is it doesn't matter how good little league is if the high school doesn't get their problems fixed.

Identify the problems? The problem with ALL public schooling is it ain't what it once was! Politics & State mandated regulations severely restricts the public schools authority. That is exactly why there are all the privates now. Politicians run the schools with bigger agendas in mind. Take the politics away, give the schools back their authority everyone gains, except the politically motivated. WHITWELL,Jasper, SP & SC are recent examples of the lack of institutional authority. Wondering, jest where do you support? Edited by OLD PIRATE

Identify the problems? The problem with ALL public schooling is it ain't what it once was! Politics & State mandated regulations severely restricts the public schools authority. That is exactly why there are all the privates now. Politicians run the schools with bigger agendas in mind. Take the politics away, give the schools back their authority everyone gains, except the politically motivated. WHITWELL,Jasper, SP & SC are recent examples of the lack of institutional authority. Wondering, jest where do you support?

As much as I love the rivalry, the best chance you can give these kids to succeed is one high school. I know a lot of people on here will bash that idea but honestly that's what needs to happen. Not sure it ever will but there's so much more you can offer the students if all the money is going into one school. Just my opinion.

As much as I love the rivalry, the best chance you can give these kids to succeed is one high school. I know a lot of people on here will bash that idea but honestly that's what needs to happen. Not sure it ever will but there's so much more you can offer the students if all the money is going into one school. Just my opinion.

Don't know about the east, but over here in the west that model has failed. Small community connected schools preform at a higher level academically than the bigger consolidated schools. Not relevant to the schools, but important none the less, are the communities themselves. Close the school and doom the community, it's been done.

The proof is in the pudding...check the greatschools website, they rank the schools individually on preformance, and the small rural schools are (for the most part) above the larger ones. Be careful what you wish for...once changed, it's over and done for our generation, no going back soon.

For the monetary gain...figure the cost of a new facility, then factor the increase in busing (mileage) to a central location...long time to recoup the initial expense, if ever, as the transportation increase is infinite. Now consider the source of the monetary gain offered by centralizing...cutting salaries...sounds good on paper, but which teacher at your school would you volunteer to "fire"?

Sorry to stray from the topic, just that I've done lots of research on the subject, and it's something that I feel strongly about.

Edited by tradertwo

I garuntee you that Griffith man needs to consolidate these schools. We might could get that Rankin msn to come coach those boys. You think im joking but im not.

Don't know about the east, but over here in the west that model has failed. Small community connected schools preform at a higher level academically than the bigger consolidated schools. Not relevant to the schools, but important none the less, are the communities themselves. Close the school and doom the community, it's been done.

The proof is in the pudding...check the greatschools website, they rank the schools individually on preformance, and the small rural schools are (for the most part) above the larger ones. Be careful what you wish for...once changed, it's over and done for our generation, no going back soon.

For the monetary gain...figure the cost of a new facility, then factor the increase in busing (mileage) to a central location...long time to recoup the initial expense, if ever, as the transportation increase is infinite. Now consider the source of the monetary gain offered by centralizing...cutting salaries...sounds good on paper, but which teacher at your school would you volunteer to "fire"?

Sorry to stray from the topic, just that I've done lots of research on the subject, and it's something that I feel strongly about.

Sounds like you have done your homeowrk. When you see schools in dire need of repair or replacement and know the state isn't going to do anything its disturbing. You have 3 high schools in this county with 500 in one maybe 350 in one and a little over 200 in another it would seem plausible to consolidate.

Jasper fans remind me of some guys I know who went to Vandy.

Why is that? Because they can actually read the name on the side of the school? It cracks me up that some of you guys just absolutely despise the fact that over 100 years ago they named the high school in jasper Marion County since it was funded by the county instead of the city in which it was located. Lol
  • Upvote 1

As a college professor, I think good smaller schools are better than "average" junior college sized schools due to the impact it has on socialization etc.  At the end of the day, teacher student ratios have to be maintained.  You may save on administrators but you lose on busing.  You may be able to offer a few more specialty courses, but that sometimes doesn't pan out as billed initially. 

Edit:  One more thing, there is a reason there has been a growth in private schools over the past 25 years. I mean the number of schools and not just the size.

Edited by rlh