Miss Basketball Nominations

FridayMainEvent

No need to expand any.  Three is enough.  It is a given somebody very well deserving will be left out.  There are some really good players in the state this year. 

Bottom line is, there's too much regional bias. No way to assure that you have the "best three" candidates when media controls the "promotion" of the athletes via  newspaper and sportscasts. Players from rural schools sometimes have no media at all (no hometown paper) in the smaller classifications, and those with a vote seldom expend it outside their familiar area, regardless of the raw numbers without the hype. Numbers (stats) alone seem to have little bearing on those named finalists for the award, as a local player failed to be recognized after being among the state leaders in scoring, and having an impeccable off the floor (grades, personality) resume'...but was only a sophomore. She was a finalist in both her junior and senior seasons, but failed to win the award after being the states top scorer, outplaying the eventual winner both years in head to head matchups, and tallying 3,000 points in her career. Let me say that I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishments of any of the three finalists, just that there's usually eight to ten players who could arguably be among the top three.

I have not heard of any offers to anyone yet I think they are more focused on other things right now. Sarah Robinson's father coaches basketball at Milligan College so she has an inside track there. The twins will probably be able to name any school they want to go to, but they have a couple of more gold balls to win before they have to worry about that.

Wow! Very good point!

Not a single person has mentioned Lea Lea Carter from Dickson co.... USA basketball gold medalist under 16 last summer, averaging double double, top team in a very good district, Vanderbilt commit!!!!

got to watch her in the championship game against gatlinburg pittman in their christmas tourney and your right!  she is the real deal   

Not a single person has mentioned Lea Lea Carter from Dickson co.... USA basketball gold medalist under 16 last summer, averaging double double, top team in a very good district, Vanderbilt commit!!!!

No doubt she is a straight up baller!  Team is solid with several outstanding players. May have hurt her when it is all said and done.  She could average 30 plus points on a lot of teams.

As far as AAA goes no doubt to me the two best players are Crystal Dangerfield and MeMe Jackson of Blackman. Would be a shame if neither one of these ladies was a Mrs. Basketball finalist. MeMe a Tennessee commit and Dangerfield a UConn commit. Both are deserving.

Meme is a great player and extremely athletic but 8.5 ppg wont get her there to Miss Basketball. Her stats show her to be an unselfish player averaging close to 5 assists and 6 rebounds a game. I look forward to watching her play at UT. She is fun to watch. UT knows what they are doing. http://www.unapproved website.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=b3ff30e8-c82e-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&gendersport=girls,basketball

Edited by WarriorFan

Meme is a great player and extremely athletic but 8.5 ppg wont get her there. Her stats show her to be an unselfish player averaging close to 5 assists and 6 rebounds a game. I look forward to watching her play at UT. She is fun to watch. UT knows what they are doing. http://www.unapproved website.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=b3ff30e8-c82e-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&gendersport=girls,basketball

Agree!  She is great but her stats won't win her a Miss Basketball Award.  However, her stats and play will get her a free college education.  Not a bad consolation prize!

I guess warriorfan that is where I feel stats are misleading. She is one of the best players in the state and that is what the award is supposed tonrepresent. Yet she plays on a team with 4 other division one calibur players therefore doesn't have to score huge numbers. Second in many games they have huge leads over their opponent and she doesn't play much in second half. I have watched Blackman in person numerous times and watched her and Dangerfield just completely take over and dominate games. But as you said a full ride to Knoxville is not a bad consolation prize.