Riverdale throwing game

ecu

Coach Barrett's job is to be an influence on young girls as they become young women, not to win gold balls. Basketball is just the venue he chooses to do that. If he ever loses focus on that goal, then he should consider a different profession. If a school endorses this type of game, then they need to rethink their mission in athletics.

My fear is that all of the Rutherford County schools need to rethink their mission.

Sometimes it takes more guts to go in an unpopular direction than to go with the popular vote.  Coach B is a great leader and mentor of his team and is loved by the Riverdale family.  He has their trust I can assure you.  I can also assure you that at Riverdale, the job as Head Coach is to be in contention every year for a Gold Ball.  Just having a winning record does not cut it.

Riverdale has a reputation of winning at all cost and this is just the latest example. Goes back to football where the coach couldn't beat Brentwood Academy so he cried until they were moved to private division. Then the girls basketball program was caught cheating or recruiting middle school girls. I guess if you don't get caught it is ok with you too. Shame on Riverdale and the administration for allowing these things to go on. As long as you win there it doesn't matter how you do it.

I was at that Riverdale vs BA Championship game in 1995.  BA was loaded.

I have stated my hopes, but sadly know NOTHING will be done. The only thing that may take place is, hey you should not have done that please do not let it happen again from the administration. 

Principal should fire him but it will never happen because they don't care as long as they win.

My comments are already on this board. I think what took place in the game between Riverdale and Smyrna was disgraceful. However, the more this board becomes about bashing everything Riverdale, the more people will be turned off to the central issue at hand., namely the game Saturday afternoon.

I turned the online broadcast on in the third and thought that Smyrna was holding the ball with a small lead, maybe 27-23, to maybe pull Riverdale out of a zone and listened to the crowd booing. Without going through all of the details (you can listen and watch the videos to do that) I was astounded that these teams were blatantly playing a game to lose. When the announcer said that one team or the other was asking the officials if they were allowed to shoot free throws on the OTHER team's goal, I had to turn it off.

As I stated last night, Riverdale has fallen a long way in two years. Yes, Smyrna was just as much to blame (their "mistake" was getting the lead :( ) but this is RIVERDALE. They may win the state, or come in second, but they totally took Riverdale off the pedestal.