Football coaching salaries

In the school system I retired from, less than 1/2 of 1 per cent of the total school budget went to coaching supplements...all sport coaching supplements, not just football...so saying coaching supplements are taking away from academics is bogus...

Edited by cofo
  • Upvote 1

Don't most school systems have the policy if your going to pay your coaches extra money it should/must go thru the payroll office? I don't think they care how much a coach gets paid as long as everything is legal, taxes, ss, medicare, etc.

yes, but when coaches get that money through the school, lots of teachers gets their panties in a wad about pay, not knowing its not taking away from them or the school budget.

at the very least

Coaches in my county have enjoyed a significant raise over the past six years. In increments, salary has increased from $6,500. to $11,000 per year. I'm not for taking advantage of people...most coaches don't apply for the income anyway, but if you increase coaching supplements to the level being discussed that would change. I'd rather have someone coaching my kid for the love of the game, and for the kids than a "career choice" where it's financially motivated only. Yes, $11,000 is still meager for the time invested, and I'd love to see salaries keep escalating to the $20,000 range, where at least they would be fairly compensated for their time, just don't want some jerk with an agenda abusing high school athletes to further his career.

I have two very successful coaches in my immediate family (regarded by most as two of the best in their respected sports), and neither EVER grumbles about their salary, in fact both would probably keep coaching if only their expenses were covered.

Scotts Hill recently hired a new football coach at $8,000, who promptly increased player numbers by around 300%, booster support by over 200%, gate revenue by over 200%, and win total by 350% in two seasons...all at the same salary as the previous coach. We were a young program with no history, bad facilities,a poor financial community,  and in five prior seasons before the current coach's hire, two wins were our best season...if we can hire a great coach, anybody can.

Sorry to be long winded,but to answer the "just what is your point" question...my point is that we've got great coaches in the state, so the "system" isn't broken enough to make monstrous increases in salary. It's just plain mathematics that there will only be so many successful programs in any sport, as success comes at others expense. If your school can't find "the right" guy to lead the program, just throwing enormous money at the problem won't fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

This Ron m. Obviously is not a football coach. I'd be curious to no if he would like to make more money at his current job. Wonder if he would like to have a bonus for a job well done. Wonder if he could get a 100,000 bonus for his current job would he give 97,000 back to education of our youth. Education has income from local, state, and federal sources. If a coach can get paid well more power to them don't say or use the education thing they have there hands in plenty of pockets. Also coaches do more then "coach" if u have ever been one u no that.

Edited by Simplefacts

Nobody needs to base pay around what Alabama does.  Their state ranks anywhere between 41-43 when it comes to state education.  TN is not much better in the upper 20's.

So think about that, schools are paying a coach $125k a year to coach and not teach.  If they were really thinking about the kids, they would take that salary and pay the first year tution for 8-10 college bound seniors.

I don't know very many people that would go see the debate team on a Friday night.

If a coach can get paid well more power to them don't say or use the education thing they have there hands in plenty of pockets. Also coaches do more then "coach" if u have ever been one u no that.

I'm not sure how to read this.  Obviously education is not a priority or ever has been in your life.  Throw in a comma or period every now and then.

I don't know many students who play football after their senior year. Most people (Simplefacts excluded) try to use the knowledge they gained in high school after they graduate.

You are right most students who play football in high school don't play after their senior year. Football is more than just a sports at that age. It teaches you work ethic, discipline, overcoming adversity, a since of family (a lot of kids don't have that these days), etc. I learned more on the football field from my coaches that I apply to everyday life than I ever learned in a text book. That's why I volunteered at a local high school while I got my degree from UT. Guess who the players who are still in college and out of college call when they need some life advice? Their coach not their math teacher

You are right most students who play football in high school don't play after their senior year. Football is more than just a sports at that age. It teaches you work ethic, discipline, overcoming adversity, a since of family (a lot of kids don't have that these days), etc. I learned more on the football field from my coaches that I apply to everyday life than I ever learned in a text book. That's why I volunteered at a local high school while I got my degree from UT. Guess who the players who are still in college and out of college call when they need some life advice? Their coach not their math teacher

Very true.