TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

But it is going to change. What Alabama, Georgia, New York or whomever does is irrelevant simply because of the geography and school size in this state. Check the school sizes in Alabama and see if they have a larger disparity in school size. I do not know but I bet they do.

Yea it does... Especially when people are arguing that Tennessee doesn't have the population to justify 6 classes and you look at a state that has a significantly smaller population like Alabama that has 7. And to answer your question, yes, Alabama does have a larger disparity in enrollment. You look at their largest 7A school, Hoover, that has an enrollment of nearly 2,000 and the smallest 7A school has 900. Heck they have 5A schools that are the size of Alcoa. Tennessee's classes are much more even in terms of enrollment numbers and people are still saying we have too many classes and it isn't fair.

If we went back to 3 or 4 classes the rich would just get richer. Since it would be a whole lot tougher to get into the playoffs kids would flee their schools to go to nearby powerhouses like Maryville,Alcoa etc and those schools would be even more dominant. It wouldn't make things any more competitive. Secondly.. People keep talking about how more teams making the playoffs= blowouts which is stupid because there's always been blowouts in the playoffs. I guarantee you the majority of the 1st round matchups for 6a will be very competitive except for the 1 vs 8 matchups. I personally like the current set-up and didn't have a problem with the last one either. Heck I wouldn't even mind the old 5 class system. I just think 3 or 4 classes would be stupid.

I disagree with your first 2 sentences. Speculation and no facts to back that up. Your third sentence is just plain false. 50+ teams is more competitive than 70+ teams??? More teams = more competition for the good teams the ok teams and the bad teams. Saying it would be "stupid" to go to 4 classes is not a valid reason. It is an opinion. Give me a reason.

Yea it does... Especially when people are arguing that Tennessee doesn't have the population to justify 6 classes and you look at a state that has a significantly smaller population like Alabama that has 7. And to answer your question, yes, Alabama does have a larger disparity in enrollment. You look at their largest 7A school, Hoover, that has an enrollment of nearly 2,000 and the smallest 7A school has 900. Heck they have 5A schools that are the size of Alcoa. Tennessee's classes are much more even in terms of enrollment numbers and people are still saying we have too many classes and it isn't fair.

Sounds like Alabama is worse than Tennessee and not a standard in which we need to emulate. I believe in competition and not giving everybody a trophy for participation. Just the way I was raised. 6 classes is one too many for this state. I have already stated the reasons why.

• 2 weeks later...

The Legislative Council will

meet in Executive Session at

9:00 a.m. Thursday.

At approximately 9:30, the

public/private study session

will begin, open to anyone.

The meeting is being held at the

Embassy Suites Hotel &

Conference Center in

Murfreesboro.

Edited by Indian

Go back to 5 classes. Take the top 24 in enrollment since there is a big gap for 5-A. Top 16 make the playoffs. That way it means something. Breakdown the other classes evenly. Allow privates that do not have financial aid to move up more than one class after the multiplier. Put a small multiplier on the open zoned none rural schools. Then be done with it. Play ball!!!!

Rural/urban with schools under 400 per sq mile as rural, above as urban was pushed. It wasnt really made clear if that meant the county each school is in or something else. If so it would only classify Davidson, Shelby, Knox, Hamilton, Rutherford as urban, leaving Williamson, Blount all others as rural.