GCA at Jefferson County

gcapride

I don't know anything about Jeff. Co so can't comment much but I do know McKamey & company won't likely schedule a season opener with someone completely above their level. I'm sure they have done their homework and know they are capable of pulling a win. That said numbers can change a team in a single season and as you said they definitely have the kids in the halls, just don't know if they have them on the field. It'll definitely be interesting.

I remember you commenting on those 2 earlier in the summer. I'm interested to hear your analysis of them after the pads start popping. That seems to change the dynamic. I know how your boys respond to that, interested to see how JC does. Arms get shorter and focus on the ball soften with heavy steps in the area and a lil birdie told me the new DB coach in doing a good job down there.

Edited by crow

Jefferson County

Coach: Kenny Cobble (19-23, fifth season)

Last Year: 2-8 (missed playoffs)

Returning Starters: 10 (five offense, five defense)

Offense: Spread

Defense: 4-3

Headliners: Austin Jenkins (6-foot-5, 192, Sr.) threw for more than 1,200 yards last season. Former QB Noah Carter (6-0, 186, Sr.) led the team in receiving. WR/FS Gorel Soumare (6-4, 200, Sr.) is a college prospect. LB Dakoda Cody (5-8, 215, Sr.) is a top defender.

Newcomers: RB Treyson Mills (6-0, 172, Jr.) and RB/CB Michael Elay (5-11, 168, Jr.) could bolster the run game.

Why Jefferson County Will Win: The Patriots have a strong senior class. Jenkins will throw to a talented receiving corps.

Why Jefferson County Won’t Win: Some starters must be replaced on the offensive and defensive lines. Overall team depth must improve.

Grace Christian

Coach: Randy McKamey (76-19, ninth season)

Last Year: 10-4 (Class 2A semifinals)

Returning Starters: 16 (eight offense, eight defense)

Offense: Wing-T

Headliners: Senior strong safety Wade Sluss (5-10, 190) is a big hitter who can set the tone. Jimmy Clevenger ( 6-0, 175, Sr.) is a versatile playmaker on both sides of the ball. Senior Rhett Elwood (6-4, 220) is a two-time state discus state champion who doubles as an effective tight end and defensive end. Senior fullback/linebacker Tyler Beck (5-11, 195) might be the biggest key to the Rams’ offense. “As the fullback goes, so goes our offense,†McKamey said.

Newcomers: Quarterback Austin Kirby is a senior transfer from Central who can run and throw. Colt Treischmann, who moved from Missouri with brother Ashton, will be among the fastest players in the PrepXtra coverage area. Colt is a senior wide receiver/defensive back. Ashton is a sophomore running back/linebacker.

Why Grace Christian Will Win: Sixteen returning starters plus three impact transfers should help. The Rams have been to the state semifinals the past two years, and are hungry to break through.

Why Grace Christian Won’t Win: Only a bevy of injuries or major mental lapses should stop the Rams.

Grace Christian

Coach: Randy McKamey (76-19, ninth season)

Last Year: 10-4 (Class 2A semifinals)

Returning Starters: 16 (eight offense, eight defense)

Offense: Wing-T

Headliners: Senior strong safety Wade Sluss (5-10, 190) is a big hitter who can set the tone. Jimmy Clevenger ( 6-0, 175, Sr.) is a versatile playmaker on both sides of the ball. Senior Rhett Elwood (6-4, 220) is a two-time state discus state champion who doubles as an effective tight end and defensive end. Senior fullback/linebacker Tyler Beck (5-11, 195) might be the biggest key to the Rams’ offense. “As the fullback goes, so goes our offense,†McKamey said.

Newcomers: Quarterback Austin Kirby is a senior transfer from Central who can run and throw. Colt Treischmann, who moved from Missouri with brother Ashton, will be among the fastest players in the PrepXtra coverage area. Colt is a senior wide receiver/defensive back. Ashton is a sophomore running back/linebacker.

Why Grace Christian Will Win: Sixteen returning starters plus three impact transfers should help. The Rams have been to the state semifinals the past two years, and are hungry to break through.

Why Grace Christian Won’t Win: Only a bevy of injuries or major mental lapses should stop the Rams.

And could very well have another transfer from Maryville. Grace will be a handful