William Blount Governors vs. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Governm

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be true but you have to keep in mind that the Govs are improving every week. Your defense might be able to get into our backfield alot but it will only take us getting good blocking a few times here and there to hurt you with some big plays in the passing game. The Govs have lots of big play ability if our O-line gives the QB time. I am not stressing too much about this game though. The Govs can afford to lose to Maryville, Dobyns Bennett,and Science Hill and still reach our goal of hosting a 1st round playoff game. However, we can't afford to drop another one to Jeff Co, Bearden, Bradley etc. Those are must win game. And we can and should beat those teams (Bradley, Bearden, Jeff Co,Hardin Valley)imo. Of course I'd like to see the Govs win the rest of the games from here on out. But I'd be content to see us playing hard and improving every week, staying healthy, and winning those games we need to win and should win to reach our goal.

To be fair,it's hard to tell at this point what teams will contend for those 4 spots .WB might  beat SH and DB and then lose to HV and JC.Outside of Maryville ,most teams would take a curb stomping against Alcoa ,so if your preparing for WB ,I'd throw that game out .It will all be clear in a few weeks .

I know this may sound strange, but I was impressed with our team coming out of the Alcoa beat down. The game was closer than the score if that makes any sense at all. WB was intimidated and Alcoa jumped up 21-0 right away, but after that it was a 14-7 game, and Alcoa didn't take their foot off the gas at all imho. Alcoa left their starting defense in the whole game. WB ran for about 150 yards against a HUGE d-line. Shad comes up with different formations and game plans each week, which is something new for this program. WB didn't quit which is something new for this program as well. Proud of our boys and I believe they will continue to improve each week. They still need more linemen though. For that matter, they need more players period. Depth is a serious issue this season. Don't have a guess for Friday night's score, but I know WB will come to play, and come to win. The boys have bought in to Shad and so have I.

I know this may sound strange, but I was impressed with our team coming out of the Alcoa beat down. The game was closer than the score if that makes any sense at all. WB was intimidated and Alcoa jumped up 21-0 right away, but after that it was a 14-7 game, and Alcoa didn't take their foot off the gas at all imho. Alcoa left their starting defense in the whole game. WB ran for about 150 yards against a HUGE d-line. Shad comes up with different formations and game plans each week, which is something new for this program. WB didn't quit which is something new for this program as well. Proud of our boys and I believe they will continue to improve each week. They still need more linemen though. For that matter, they need more players period. Depth is a serious issue this season. Don't have a guess for Friday night's score, but I know WB will come to play, and come to win. The boys have bought in to Shad and so have I.

I think we came out kind of flat in the first Qtr. That's not trying to take anything away from Alcoa by any means. I'm just saying we didn't look like we were playing our best ball by any stretch of the imagination. The moment that set the tone for the whole game, IMO, was when Alcoa fumbled it on their opening drive and WB got the ball and gave it right back by fumbling it themselves. I think if we managed to do something with that gift they gave us there it might have been a much closer ballgame. But they got the ball back and ended up scoring. That's one thing you have got to do against those good teams. When they give you a gift you have to make them pay. That's something we haven't been able to do yet but I'm confident that will come in time. You are right though, the score is deceiving and doesn't tell the whole story. We did some good things offensively and made them work for all of their points.

I think we came out kind of flat in the first Qtr. That's not trying to take anything away from Alcoa by any means. I'm just saying we didn't look like we were playing our best ball by any stretch of the imagination. The moment that set the tone for the whole game, IMO, was when Alcoa fumbled it on their opening drive and WB got the ball and gave it right back by fumbling it themselves. I think if we managed to do something with that gift they gave us there it might have been a much closer ballgame. But they got the ball back and ended up scoring. That's one thing you have got to do against those good teams. When they give you a gift you have to make them pay. That's something we haven't been able to do yet but I'm confident that will come in time. You are right though, the score is deceiving and doesn't tell the whole story. We did some good things offensively and made them work for all of their points.

You can expect DB to have a case of the dropsies, I would expect a couple of balls to be on the ground.    So when that happens you gotta do 2 things:  1)  fall on the ball, 2)  make something out of it.      I saw DB twice this year and let me tell you something, when the ball is on the turf they are not just standing around looking at the fans, they are very well coached to get on the ball.      So Govs should be practicing some ball recovery drills this week.        Never seen WB play, so this is just a guess based on tradition and reading stuff on the T

DB   31

WB  13

You can expect DB to have a case of the dropsies, I would expect a couple of balls to be on the ground. So when that happens you gotta do 2 things: 1) fall on the ball, 2) make something out of it. I saw DB twice this year and let me tell you something, when the ball is on the turf they are not just standing around looking at the fans, they are very well coached to get on the ball. So Govs should be practicing some ball recovery drills this week. Never seen WB play, so this is just a guess based on tradition and reading stuff on the T

DB 31

WB 13

Falling on fumbles has not been the issue. The issue has been not making the other teams pay when we get those gifts.