Maryville's baby brother vs. CAK

Govolsknox

The Alcoa freshman can flat out sling the ball. That kid will be the real deal before his high school days are over. I hope the starter will be back soon. Everyone knows how good the Alcoa defensive front is but their secondary gave up 0 tds tonight and picked off 3 passes. I know a lot of that has to do with the constant pressure the qb was under but that defensive unit is as good as you'll see. When you hold an offense like CAKs to 7 points, that's impressive!

Yup, that was a great defensive performance!

I think Cole Smith is one of the top two or three QB's in East Tennessee. Alcoa may have the best defensive line in the entire state, They gave Maryville fits and I knew going into this game CAK would not be able to do any better. Soon as the ball is snapped your running for your life. Alcoa will win the state in my opinion because of the defensive line.

I think Cole Smith is one of the top two or three QB's in East Tennessee. Alcoa may have the best defensive line in the entire state, They gave Maryville fits and I knew going into this game CAK would not be able to do any better. Soon as the ball is snapped your running for your life. Alcoa will win the state in my opinion because of the defensive line.

Agree!

What's the verdict on Coach B's decision to retool his offense and convert his Div. I receiver into a RB for the Alcoa game? Creative/outside the box thinking? Or did it play into Alcoa's hands by giving DL's and LB's first crack at trying to tackle 31 rather than a CB or S? Will he try the same approach if the Warriors are lucky enough to face the Tornadoes again?

Edited by Warriors2011

What's the verdict on Coach B's decision to retool his offense and convert his Div. I receiver into a RB for the Alcoa game? Creative/outside the box thinking? Or did it play into Alcoa's hands by giving DL's and LB's first crack at trying to tackle 31 rather than a CB or S? Will he try the same approach if the Warriors are lucky enough to face the Tornadoes again?

Not a bad move if you're trying to find different ways to get one of your playmakers the ball. Alcoa's D looked impressive!

I think the news he got at the end of the week just didn't give the team enough time to physically or mentally deal with trying to retool the offense.

**NOT saying these factors make up a 26 point deficit. Alcoa was the better team last night by far**

But finding out that you lost your #1 offensive threat (WR Phillip NIchols #15) due to concussion just before the biggest game of the year so far was a huge blow.

#15 makes all the other weapons better, not just what he does individually, because he requires resources to be focused on him, that create opportunity for the other offensive players. He also is by far our biggest down field, deep threat, and allows us (if the QB has time, to stretch the field.

It would have been a huge challenge to compete with Alcoa with ALL our weapons, but without 4 of your top 6 players, it's a killer. #1 offensive WR concussion, #1 DL #55 and future college player Layton, ACL, #1 RB #45 ACL. and #1 leading tackler 2 years running #30 ILB, ACL. It would have been tough to lose any 4 starters, but to lose 4 of your top 6 players (QB and future Vol Pope were available) was a death nail. As I said before the game, and still believe, Alcoa is again, the team to beat in 3A. And no, I'm sorry but Betsy is not going to beat them. I don't believe CPA will either, but partly it will depend on whether their QB heals up, and / or how the freshman QB adapts to being the starter if the SR can't heal up in time for a championship game. (Prayers out to this young man; I hope he is able to finish out his SR season)

To answer your question, I think it was a mixed bag. Against that defensive front, put a 6-5 220 lb physical player in the backfield to both serve as a weapon, and block for the QB, in a pass oriented attack. I feel like that though Pope has been stellar on offense at times, he has not had the quantity of touches, and the possession (Davis Howell) type over the middle opportunities that I expected this year. He has been very good, but under utilized, so I felt this might be a way to insure that he got some touches. I should point out that Pope has been an absolute force this year on Special teams coverage and defense when he has played there, at ILB. In my opinion, the biggest turning point of the game, unfortunately, was a great run by Pope which was then fumbled on the first drive of the second half as CAK was moving the ball. They had seemed to have settled in to the new scheme and new personnel in the 2nd quarter, and after that fumble and resulting TD, CAK never looked the same again.

If these 2 meet again, I think a lot depends on if we get #15 back or if he continues to be held without release for concussion, as to how many snaps Pope will see out of the backfield.

Is it just me or was it Coach Bradley's ego that keep Cole Smith in so late with the game out of hand? What good does it do to get a late score vs. risking an injury when Alcoa was teeing off on him (and them)?

GVK and Warrior 2011... your thoughts?

I thought the same, and my best guess was that unfortunately due to injury, we are much more limited with playmakers, and CRB felt like this group needed all the reps they could get between them and any opportunity they have to compete with them if they meet again.

I will say, that over the years, I have not seen CRB worried about style points, so right or wrong, I suspect that he had a reason that he felt it best to keep him out there.

Any clue why we didn't see 9 or 5 in the game? Or 78, who has had some good reps on OL in recent games?

I think the news he got at the end of the week just didn't give the team enough time to physically or mentally deal with trying to retool the offense.

**NOT saying these factors make up a 26 point deficit. Alcoa was the better team last night by far**

But finding out that you lost your #1 offensive threat (WR Phillip NIchols #15) due to concussion just before the biggest game of the year so far was a huge blow.

#15 makes all the other weapons better, not just what he does individually, because he requires resources to be focused on him, that create opportunity for the other offensive players.

It would have been a huge challenge to compete with Alcoa with ALL our weapons, but without 4 of your top 6 players, it's a killer. #1 offensive WR concussion, #1 DL #55 and future college player Layton, ACL, #1 RB #45 ACL. and #1 leading tackler 2 years running #30 ILB, ACL. It would have been tough to lose any 4 starters, but to lose 4 of your top 6 players (QB and future Vol Pope were available) was a death nail. As I said before the game, and still believe, Alcoa is again, the team to beat in 3A. And no, I'm sorry but Betsy is not going to beat them. I don't believe CPA will either, but partly it will depend on whether their QB heals up, and / or how the freshman QB adapts to being the starter if the SR can't heal up in time for a championship game. (Prayers out to this young man; I hope he is able to finish out his SR season)

To answer your question, I think it was a mixed bag. Against that defensive front, put a 6-5 220 lb physical player in the backfield to both serve as a weapon, and block for the QB, in a pass oriented attack. I feel like that though Pope has been stellar on offense at times, he has not had the quantity of touches, and the possession (Davis Howell) type over the middle opportunities that I expected this year. He has been very good, but under utilized, so I felt this might be a way to insure that he got some touches. I should point out that Pope has been an absolute force this year on Special teams coverage and defense when he has played there, at ILB. In my opinion, the biggest turning point of the game, unfortunately, was a great run by Pope which was then fumbled on the first drive of the second half as CAK was moving the ball. They had seemed to have settled in to the new scheme and new personnel in the 2nd quarter, and after that fumble and resulting TD, CAK never looked the same again.

If these 2 meet again, I think a lot depends on if we get #15 back or if he continues to be held without release for concussion, as to how many snaps Pope will see out of the backfield.

Edited by Warriors2011

Any clue why we didn't see 9 or 5 in the game? Or 78, who has had some good reps on OL in recent games?

9 got hurt during practice this week, and has a cast on his left wrist / arm. He did play a couple of plays on special teams and a couple of plays at ILB, but as you know, the B back in CRB offense, has to be able to catch the ball as well as block. And my take was that the kid who has a broken "something" just wasn't ready to play a full game yet. Yet another injury. I didn't mention him earlier...

5 is going to be a player, but as a freshman, IMO has shown too much tendency during crucial times to go east west, in situations that in the future he will stay north south and get what he can get and move on. I've seen it a multitude of times over the years when kids come from being able to make that work in middle school, and have to transition to the fact that it doesn't work against HS players, especially when you are a freshman....He's just not ready for significant PT against top tier opponents IMO. He will get there.

No clue on 78's status.

Overall, I saw drops, and miscommunication on routes last night that I haven't seen in years of watching CAK.