Round 2: Hampton (11-0) hosts Austin-East (9-2)

Dawgfan88

Hope so, but AE is a handful!

They will be faster than anyone you have seen this year. I'm unsure if you guys realize the score going in to the 4th tonight was AE26 North 25. North gave up 22 in the 4th.   Hampton will not let them hang around that long before stepping on the gas. If Hampton is up by 14 at the half I look for a 35 point win. If not then 21 will be my call.  Plus AE will not have the Home field they so desire.

With all that said if they have a bad game like Elizabethton tonight they could be in the same situation fighting to pull it out. That is why I personally hate weak games at the end of the season. Teams get soft.

Once again Good Luck.

Edited by Woodby30

AE is such a hard opponent.They don't run the ball well, they don't protect the QB well and they give up tons of yards rushing. All of that makes them sound like a terrible team, but man oh man is Harper a player at QB. IMO they don't make the playoffs without him and they might make the state title game because of him.

They will be faster than anyone you have seen this year. I'm unsure if you guys realize the score going in to the 4th tonight was AE26 North 25. North gave up 22 in the 4th.   Hampton will not let them hang around that long before stepping on the gas. If Hampton is up by 14 at the half I look for a 35 point win. If not then 21 will be my call.  Plus AE will not have the Home field they so desire.

With all that said if they have a bad game like Elizabethton tonight they could be in the same situation fighting to pull it out. That is why I personally hate weak games at the end of the season. Teams get soft.

Once again Good Luck.

This is a picture of the home field advantage AE had last week when GCA came to play. I thought I had went to the wrong place and went to a pee wee game somewhere by accident. I've seen more people than that at a four way stop sign.213ra03.jpg

I'm going to ask a question to the Hampton fans why in the past few years when going to the playoffs they stumble at the gate. I have not seen your team play but I'm very impressed looking at all those wins on your schedule and the margins of victory. If I were just glancing at it quick I would think I was looking at Fulton or Maryville's results but they seem to go out right from the start when the playoffs begin. I don't think I've seen anything past a second game in the playoffs looking back the past five or six years. Anyways comparing scores this will be a great game this coming Friday Night and hope you all the best.

Barney we have had several years where off the field issues has resulted in not having our best players. Others have been due to injury and a small school like ours that play a lot on both sides of the ball, when you have one guy out its like having two guys out. Plus, most years we had a first round bye and those make it look like we faulter. This year and this team are different. Focused and they wanna play. Looking forward to next weeks game.

Edited by gr8tplay
  • Upvote 1

Ur correct gr8t, 3 years ago we had THREE skill starters suspended 20 hours before kick off of 2nd round...2 years ago we missed a FG for the the win in 2nd round and lost in OT with a team mainly sophomores...Last year the QB played 2nd round on broken ankle and wasn't able to do what he did last night and all season.

One goes down in these small schools and you're usually in trouble!

2009 and 2010 we played RW and Boyd...They were just stronger teams

AE is such a hard opponent.They don't run the ball well, they don't protect the QB well and they give up tons of yards rushing. All of that makes them sound like a terrible team, but man oh man is Harper a player at QB. IMO they don't make the playoffs without him and they might make the state title game because of him.

He is patient! But against GCA the dang RB was the truth!

Interesting match up for us

Good points gr8tplay. You were spot on.  Barney, another reason is that Hampton is a small rural school in the mountains of East Tennessee. The latest census has Hampton with an entire population of only 4058 people. Teams like we have this year only come around once every 10 years or so. We just don't have the numbers in order to have a powerhouse every year. Hampton was only 6 students shy of being single A. We are the second lowest populated school in Double A, next to Cosby.

With that being said, what our coaching staff accomplishes year in and year out to produce a competitive football team is a testament to them. They always get the most out of the players they have. Heck they have won our region 10 out of the last 11 years (and tied for first that other year).

This years team is one of those top teams Hampton has ever had. I believe they will surprise some people but that is JMO.  Also looking forward to next weeks game. Go Dogs!

Edited by dogtruth