Whitwell Football

GeorgeWBush

Yep, I,ve also heard that consolidation is a done deal. School will be close to center of county. Hmm........ wonder who will be the head football coach?

Not Slick Ricky.....and with 65 - 70 million needed for a new school & facilities the consolidation is a pipe dream by a HEEP of Jasper folkes that is plum sick of puke purple! Edited by OLD PIRATE

I have had some talks with some people involved and the ball is going to start rolling pretty quickly. I believe it is about to happen. Should have 20 years ago actually. Its a win win, saves the county a ton of money and we would all be on the same side for a change. Man, these boards would be boring......lol

In the end, it won't save the county as much money as you think, especially if things are done correctly.  The student to teacher ratio should be maintained at certain levels.  You mentioned 15 minute drive from WHS to the center of the county but that doesn't take into account the drive from The Pocket or Griffith's Creek to the center nor Hog Jaw Valley to the center.  Plus, if you look around the state, you will see that big consolidated schools don't magically translate to better academics and better athletics.  Some of the worst prepared students I see coming into college come from the largest H.S.

In the end, it won't save the county as much money as you think, especially if things are done correctly. The student to teacher ratio should be maintained at certain levels. You mentioned 15 minute drive from WHS to the center of the county but that doesn't take into account the drive from The Pocket or Griffith's Creek to the center nor Hog Jaw Valley to the center. Plus, if you look around the state, you will see that big consolidated schools don't magically translate to better academics and better athletics. Some of the worst prepared students I see coming into college come from the largest H.S.

You are correct on all accounts. You are totally accurate in all assessments. Old Pirate is right as well. If they built all of the facilities it's a 60 plus million dollar project. They are still trying to figure out where they are going to come up with 15 million for a new Jasper Middle, much less 60 plus.

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct on all accounts. You are totally accurate in all assessments. Old Pirate is right as well. If they built all of the facilities it's a 60 plus million dollar project. They are still trying to figure out where they are going to come up with 15 million for a new Jasper Middle, much less 60 plus.

maybe we should all ask that Ross feller how to get more money out of them. I think he has it all figured out.

• 3 weeks later...

Whitwell will find out how good of a coach they had.  He was as good as they are going to get.  To survive in this community you have ignore popular opinion and do what is right.  Helton didn't give a rip and did his thing. He would have done a whole lot more. He will do a whole lot more but at his next job, if he decided to take more compensation for less aggravation who could blame him?

Note to all Marion County citizens: Anyone coaching or teaching in this county is making a sacrifice monetarily so it doesn’t take much for someone who is good at what they do to make the jump somewhere else. Anyone who stays for an extended period either loves it here and is willing to give up money and put up with the hassles or no one else wants them.

Note to County school administration: When considering coaching candidates for a community such as ours people skills and dedication to the community are more important than a flashy resume. To be successful here a coach must convince ordinary boys that they can do extraordinary things, most of the time the gold ball for us will come down to defeating superior talent.  In other words a successful and long tenured coach must understand and embrace small town culture, be a rough customer (thick skinned), and be an exceptional motivator.  Look for these qualities, look for an excellent teacher. 

Edited by rikberry