Reclassification for 2017-2021

TCVeritas

I agree that the TSSAA is trying to get all privates to go D2.  But, with the crazy enrollment numbers (only 7 schools qualify for the top division), it doesn't sound very enticing for those privates at 266 or above to "get" to play against Ensworth and Brentwood Academy if those schools choose to not play up.  Based on 2014, that would include Boyd, Silverdale, Goodpasture, and Grace Christian.  I also heard Columbia Academy has grown enough to be in this class as well.

Seems like TSSAA's actions could have the opposite effect - these privates will go to great lengths to stay in D1.

By the way, since MBA and MUS are all-male, their enrollment figures are doubled.

Those monster Privates and not gonna play down. What on earth would they benefit from that. D1  1a could be a dang good division.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, without the multiplier, the D1 1A private schools are under 266.  The largest 1A school in D1 is MTCS with an actual enrollment of 214.

That's right.  But, 3 of the 5 D1-2A schools are above 265: Boyd, Silverdale, and Grace Christian.  Trinity and Jackson Christian are just under it by 20-25 students.  Of course, these are 2014 numbers. And like I posted earlier, I heard Columbia Academy's enrollment would put them over 265 this year as well.

And some ask why Ensworth and BA would not play up.  If they choose to play up, they will join a league of 7 schools stretching from Memphis (3 schools) to Chattanooga (2 schools).  So, they are guaranteed to travel to Memphis and Chattanooga at least once each year for regular season games.  And then they would face the same schools in the playoffs.  They would also have to fill the remaining 4 open dates, which is increasingly hard to do (that is why they play 2 or 3 out of state games each year).  

If they stay where TSSAA slated them to play, they would be in a division of 7 schools in the Greater Nashville area.  And they could still play the AAA teams in non-conference games if desired.

I hope that Heritage gets to stay in 5a I heard they're going to get rid of the super 32 teams in 6a I just hope that the travel stays the same as it has been don't want it going back to about 7 yrs ago where we would have to go to Mcminn Soddy Ooltewah and Bradley those are all 1 1/2 to 2 hr drives

1 and 2A in East Tennessee has always traveled that far and most likely always will no matter how they reclassify. Just not many small schools close together in these mountains. I can remember being excited about ONLY traveling an hour and a half to a region game!

Well you know what happens when you assume??? It makes a A Well you know. TCA already plays St George, ECS, USJ. So it does not scare us. But the scary part is with our enrollment we are slotted with D2 A. And guess what that is not the quote big boys. But we might play up for the competion. So Troll on Big Boy!!!!! good try though. Same goes for JC!!!!

Edited by BigEdMo

I would 100 percent assume TCA and Jackson Christian stay where they are in 1A, and basketball district 15-A. They would get hammered in D2, especially in football.

We split with ECS is a home and home series in 13 and 14. Beat SG in 13 and lost by 1 in 14. Got whipped last year because we hadn't made the change in lineups. Probably would have still lost but would have been much closer. Killed USJ in 13 and 14 and would have beaten them last year if we had played at end of season with new lineup. Game we lost last year was not a hammer. I don't think we have gotten hammered by their top 3 teams. One of those 3 always wins that District and we have competed well. TCA certainly wouldn't dominate that district but would compete most years. They would have a down year on occasion and also have a banner year on occasion while finishing in the middle most of the time. Hammered is not likely.

Thank you for that offer. Boyd has always had a great program and a solid, respectful fan base. TKA has a good coach who has done very well everywhere he has been. I'm not sure what they have this year but there are big things happening in that school in multiple sports.

Best of luck to you guys this year. I'll be keeping tabs on your season

Other than softball what is TKA doing well in? Their AD seems in over his head IMO.

Well you know what happens when you assume??? It makes a A Well you know. TCA already plays St George, ECS, USJ. So it does not scare us. But the scary part is with our enrollment we are slotted with D2 A. And guess what that is not the quote big boys. But we might play up for the competion. So Troll on Big Boy!!!!! good try though. Same goes for JC!!!!

playing up occasionally for the competition and to keep travel down a bit; probably ant a bad plan......but if u were implying that yall would move up and make DII AA your home; probably not a good idea

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

playing up occasionally for the competition and to keep travel down a bit; probably ant a bad plan......but if u were implying that yall would move up and make DII AA your home; probably not a good idea

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Oh no, I don't think he meant D2 AA as it currently stands. I think he meant D2 AA with new reclassification. Assuming Brentwood and Ensworth moved up TCA would be fairly competitive in AA.

So we all know that if they was to split the teams & put the bottom 32 in terms of enrollment into 1 division and made it the new 1A that we would have some serious travel problems or would we??... so I did some work on the schools with the smallest enrollments *(That Play Football) *. This way everyone can get an idea of just what the Region's or District's would look like and therefore seeing how much travel teams would have to do.

Currently, 57 teams participate in 1A Football. All having enrollments under 400 students. If you take out the Privates, aside from Columbia Academy, who is attempting to stay in 1A and not be moved to DII then that number drops to 51 teams.

So if you take the bottom 32 teams it would leave just 19 other schools. I guess you could just lump the last 19 schools into 2A or you could split that 51 # into 2. Either way, I will list the theory on just keeping the bottom 32 schools in one group for now so we can see who's left.

Region 1:

Unaka - 290

Hancock County - 286

Cloudland - 193

Oakdale - 188

Region 2:

Midway - 289

Greenback - 209

Coalfield - 182

Sunbright - 173

Region 3:

Sale Creek - 306

Copper Basin - 227

Lookout Valley - 204

South Pittsburg - 245

Region 4:

Fayetteville - 318

Cornersville - 293

Huntland - 214

Moore County - 197

Region 5:

Monterey - 339

Gordonsville - 318

Clay County - 264

Pickett County - 248

Red Boiling Springs - 200

Region 6:

Wayne County - 319

McEwen - 308

Collinwood - 278

Hollow Rock-Bruceton - 209

Region 7:

West Carroll - 295

Humboldt - 263

South Fulton - 245

Lake County - 243

Greenfield - 210

Gleason - 161

Region 8:

Middle College - 233

That is a list of the schools with the 32 smallest enrollments that play football & are in 1A currently, aside from Privates. All grouped in what Region they currently compete in for this season.

Almost crazy how much equal each Region is except for the Memphis teams in Region 8, which actually has just 4 total teams in it this season and needs to be fixed and perhaps put into another Region all together. Could this type of configuration work? Honestly I think so and it's a whole lot less travel than I was expecting! This could work, IMO.

**All numbers come from enrollment figures provided prior to the 2015 season.**

**List does not include the 3 Memphis schools that have closed or do not participate in Football now (Northside, Carver, Dubois)**