Mairvul goes two Hairataige

STARSNBARS

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that meaningless late TD and Heritage going for 2 and making it in 1982. I believe the play before the late TD Heritage starting running clock to end the game. Heritage should have won 3-0 but won 11-0. The very next year after every Maryville TD They went for 2 and made it.

On my way home from that 1983 game I remember listening to WGAP. Glen Morton asked Don Story why he went for 2 so much. Don Story's response was " Why didn't you ask Jack Renfro that last year"

I'm a big fan of DW. Murvil was struggling to kick xtra points in 83. Matback took the square-toed kicking shoe with him the year before.

Tennessee needs to get rid of the mercy rule. I don't have a problem with huge scores because it's the other team's responsibility to stop them.

Dave I read your post and got to thinking about it some this morning. There are some coaches that have some respect about them that they would turn to the last kids on the team to play and then you have a few for what reason would score a hundred on someone and I'm sure that rule was put in place just for that few. The fans lose when the evening is cut short like that but maybe the coaches should meet together at halftime and make that decision could be one answer. If both were in agreement then they could play out the game. The other answer is to have someone or a group to really dissect each team or school down to a science and put them in the proper class they need to be in. I know we go by enrollment but you take two schools that have a thousand kids and one serves a distance of a thirty mile radius and another serves a three mile radius would have a factor in the equation. Out of zone would be another heavy factor in getting teams in the right slot. If the TSSAA had a brain at all and looked at all the mercy rule games that happen they would quit counting money for a few minutes and do the right thing as I mentioned.

Dave I read your post and got to thinking about it some this morning. There are some coaches that have some respect about them that they would turn to the last kids on the team to play and then you have a few for what reason would score a hundred on someone and I'm sure that rule was put in place just for that few. The fans lose when the evening is cut short like that but maybe the coaches should meet together at halftime and make that decision could be one answer. If both were in agreement then they could play out the game. The other answer is to have someone or a group to really dissect each team or school down to a science and put them in the proper class they need to be in. I know we go by enrollment but you take two schools that have a thousand kids and one serves a distance of a thirty mile radius and another serves a three mile radius would have a factor in the equation. Out of zone would be another heavy factor in getting teams in the right slot. If the TSSAA had a brain at all and looked at all the mercy rule games that happen they would quit counting money for a few minutes and do the right thing as I mentioned.

I don't mind the mercy rule, but I would prefer to see it only instituted beginning in the 4th quarter.  A large, large, majority of coaches get their young kids in the game when up big in the third quarter.  Friday night PT is important to them, and I see nothing wrong with 3s/4s playing against the team that is behind's 1s in the third quarter.  Start the running clock in the 4th quarter.  

I don't mind the mercy rule, but I would prefer to see it only instituted beginning in the 4th quarter.  A large, large, majority of coaches get their young kids in the game when up big in the third quarter.  Friday night PT is important to them, and I see nothing wrong with 3s/4s playing against the team that is behind's 1s in the third quarter.  Start the running clock in the 4th quarter.  

The schools lose on concession sales and then you have those people that have to be the first to get there and the first to leave and you know their gone by halftime.

I agree with you.