Knoxville Catholic...

fredjones

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody please explain to me how the "Standard Parish Contribution" paid by the church to the school on behalf of a student is not financial aide?

As I understand it, KCHS has a "Catholic Student Tuition" and a "Non-Catholic Student Tuition". That's fine. Two different tuition rates for two different classifications of students is no problem.

But then there is this "Standard Parish Contribution" that a family can apply for to further reduce their tuition. If the church makes a contribution to the school "on behalf of the family", then the student's Catholic Student Tuition is reduced by an equal amount. Is that not financial aide by the T$$AA definition?

I guess technically, they aren't paying a portion of the student's tuition. The student's tuition just gets decreased by an amount equal to the church's contribution. :rolleyes:

Does this mean that any non-profit foundation can make a contribution to a school on behalf of a student, and the school can then legally discount the student's tuition by an equal amount without that being considered financial aide? :huh:

Yep....sit down and chat with some of the clergy tonite and theyll fill you in on how it works.....it will also help deflect the sting that u will b experiencin

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

what a croc this is.. catholic is running from competition like they always do.. they wouldnt be able to compete with d2 so they concoct a way to stay in d1... classic tssaa for you.. you cant tell me most of the people at catholic are catholic which means some of them including athletes, are receiving some form of financial aid somehow.. i hope they go to 5a.. this is bs and if i was one of the  schools in that region/district i would raise cain about this

what a croc this is.. catholic is running from competition like they always do.. they wouldnt be able to compete with d2 so they concoct a way to stay in d1... classic tssaa for you.. you cant tell me most of the people at catholic are catholic which means some of them including athletes, are receiving some form of financial aid somehow.. i hope they go to 5a.. this is bs and if i was one of the  schools in that region/district i would raise cain about this

I don't think they are running from competition. Their argument that there are no other Div2AAA schools in the Knoxville area and they would have horrible travel schedules in all sports is a legitimate problem for them.

However, if you want to act like a big dog, you gotta be able to run with the big dogs. The large privates log a lot of miles between Chattanooga and Nashville. Trips involving Knoxville would be no different.

There are no district teams within 100 miles. Not so much a problem with football since you only play 5 away games before the playoffs but with all the other sports it is a huge problem. The costs and travel time would make it very tough. Assuming you play a basketball game during the week in Nashville, the game would end around 10:00 Knoxville time followed by a 3 hour drive back to Catholic then a 15-30 minute or so drive home. Would you really want your kids out driving at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning on a school night? You make a very ignorant statement in saying most of the people at Catholic aren't Catholic. The numbers are probably about 85/15.

Catholic really runs from the competition considering we are having trouble getting enough games in football. I don't think we would have a problem scheduling some of the larger privates in football but to be in that district for all other sports makes no sense in any respect....

There are no district teams within 100 miles. Not so much a problem with football since you only play 5 away games before the playoffs but with all the other sports it is a huge problem. The costs and travel time would make it very tough. Assuming you play a basketball game during the week in Nashville, the game would end around 10:00 Knoxville time followed by a 3 hour drive back to Catholic then a 15-30 minute or so drive home. Would you really want your kids out driving at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning on a school night? You make a very ignorant statement in saying most of the people at Catholic aren't Catholic. The numbers are probably about 85/15.

Catholic really runs from the competition considering we are having trouble getting enough games in football. I don't think we would have a problem scheduling some of the larger privates in football but to be in that district for all other sports makes no sense in any respect....

you realize that there are plenty of schools in this state that do drive 3hrs or even out of state for bball games in the middle of the week and are fine. and thats including other sports as well its just part of it.. you cant tell me with the church funding behind the school that money would be a problem either... yeah they have problems finding PUBLIC school teams to play them for good reason.. catholic should be able to win state with all the resources they have at that place.. its easy to beat up on the little guys and think you are big but i mean come on... with you playing the carter's and anderson county's of the world then yeah you are good  come on now.......

you realize that there are plenty of schools in this state that do drive 3hrs or even out of state for bball games in the middle of the week and are fine. and thats including other sports as well its just part of it.. you cant tell me with the church funding behind the school that money would be a problem either... yeah they have problems finding PUBLIC school teams to play them for good reason.. catholic should be able to win state with all the resources they have at that place.. its easy to beat up on the little guys and think you are big but i mean come on... with you playing the carter's and anderson county's of the world then yeah you are good come on now.......

As a parent and a teacher there's no way I want my child coming home at 3 am on week a night to play a hour and half game. You do realize this is high school not college. Catholic's resource are based on tuition paid by parents like me who also pays taxes that finance public schools. My kids attended Catholic (we are Catholic and their mom and I made that choice) they were four year varsity players and their academics meant something to their mom and me. It's clear you don't like private schools it's your right, if you want Catholic in D2 then get a masters degree in curriculum and instruction, apply for the principals job and put them where ever you want to. The principal made a decision based on the whole athletic program. You do realize that Catholic is Top 50 academic school. I know people like yourself think it's all football in this state but it's not. I doubt serious if the schools decision was to appease private school haters. It's funny when Catholic was losing to Fulton, Alcoa, Bearden and West (back in their 5A days) everyone called them overrated now they win state the same critics sing a different song. They are playing where the TSSAA placed them. If your team isn't in the same district then make sure your school doesn't play them. The whining on here is sad. Edited by QSouth89

you realize that there are plenty of schools in this state that do drive 3hrs or even out of state for bball games in the middle of the week and are fine. and thats including other sports as well its just part of it.. you cant tell me with the church funding behind the school that money would be a problem either... yeah they have problems finding PUBLIC school teams to play them for good reason.. catholic should be able to win state with all the resources they have at that place.. its easy to beat up on the little guys and think you are big but i mean come on... with you playing the carter's and anderson county's of the world then yeah you are good  come on now.......

Spot on, redzebra.  Everything zebra said ^

I call BS on anyone saying Catholic can't afford the travel expenses.  Come on, anyone who says that is just embarrassing themselves.  Catholic is loaded.  I've been there and seen the place.  Compare that to the public county schools in the state driving 3 hours on an old school bus.  Catholic is flat out scared to play in D2.  The whole state is shaking their heads at your cowardice. I hope no public schools will play you unless they are required to due to being in the same region or conference or whatever.  I hope you guys have to drive to Memphis to find an out of conference game.  I'm sure it will be on your big private buses and maybe you can get the pope to chip in for the meals.  SMH 

I'm not drinking Q's kool-aid either.  The TSSAA has not exactly been known for being mistake free.  You should be forced to go D2 in every sport.  Stop trying to justify your position, and stop and think about the public schools that have buckets scattered throughout the inside of the school when it rains, that have to play you all.  Those kids can't help that they have not been born into, or given the opportunity to attend the big private school.  Wow, you just aren't going to get it.

Edited by Pudding

As a parent and a teacher there's no way I want my child coming home at 3 am on week a night to play a hour and half game. You do realize this is high school not college. Catholic's resource are based on tuition paid by parents like me who also pays taxes that finance public schools. My kids attended Catholic (we are Catholic and their mom and I made that choice) they were four year varsity players and their academics meant something to their mom and me. It's clear you don't like private schools it's your right, if you want Catholic in D2 then get a masters degree in curriculum and instruction, apply for the principals job and put them where ever you want to. The principal made a decision based on the whole athletic program. You do realize that Catholic is Top 50 academic school. I know people like yourself think it's all football in this state but it's not. I doubt serious if the schools decision was to appease private school haters. It's funny when Catholic was losing to Fulton, Alcoa, Bearden and West (back in their 5A days) everyone called them overrated now they win state the same critics sing a different song. They are playing where the TSSAA placed them. If your team isn't in the same district then make sure your school doesn't play them. The whining on here is sad.

And the cheating at your school is sad.

Spot on, redzebra. Everything zebra said ^

I call BS on anyone saying Catholic can't afford the travel expenses. Come on, anyone who says that is just embarrassing themselves. Catholic is loaded. I've been there and seen the place. Compare that to the public county schools in the state driving 3 hours on an old school bus. Catholic is flat out scared to play in D2. The whole state is shaking their heads at your cowardice. I hope no public schools will play you unless they are required to due to being in the same region or conference or whatever. I hope you guys have to drive to Memphis to find an out of conference game. I'm sure it will be on your big private buses and maybe you can get the pope to chip in for the meals. SMH

I'm not drinking Q's kool-aid either. The TSSAA has not exactly been known for being mistake free. You should be forced to go D2 in every sport. Stop trying to justify your position, and stop and think about the public schools that have buckets scattered throughout the inside of the school when it rains, that have to play you all. Those kids can't help that they have not been born into, or given the opportunity to attend the big private school. Wow, you just aren't going to get it.

I get it more than others. Not all have sliver spoons, I work 9-5 like most people, We sacrificed a lot to send our kids their for an education. heck I could have sent my kids anywhere to play sports. Not all believe a school choice is sports related only. I get that most hate private schools but hey it's America. Just look at the democratic and republican candidates. The only voice that matters is our own huh? Edited by QSouth89