Marion vs Trezevent (Mathis man against this White man)

Roy Dillard

I'll take my crow Memphis style. 

Willie and other T fans, I usually don't post on weekends as I am caring for an ageing relative in Carter Co. Once my help gets here during the week it frees me up some.

I was all ready to get on here and blast everyone in sight this morning. Trezevant has had a grade scandal that we still have no idea how it will play out, and Marion is on probation again. We should be able to do better. The TSSAA is a sham organization and everyone here knows it. They couldn't manage microwaving a pop tart unless it involved giving them 50% of the proceeds.

But Saturday's game had so much GOOD in it, that I am leaving those items for now. Maybe forever. So much that happened Saturday was a reminder of the great in people, athletics, and this message board.  

I have a few thoughts.

- Boy I am a believer in Trez. A second year makes us go back and look at the first year more closely. As dominant as Marion was in getting to C'ville, Trez was equally as dominant of Marion both times basically.

- The Jackson kid for T is nothing short of a hero. It's obvious not only his internal character, but the character of those who raised this young man. What an absolutely touching story. He taught us all a lesson in class, quick-thinking, humility, and God fearing.

- Let us not forget the Zeman kid, who I have made it clear I am a huge fan of. That kid isa fighter and a winner. So grateful he is going to be ok.

- #14 for Trezevant was a man's man Saturday.

- Marion, if you forget the botched punt and the 4th down fail with 9 min remaining in the 4th, was very much in this game.  I'd love to rip their coach for going fo rit but I understand why he did it. He felt that his D was finished. I disagree with him, but he made a desperate attempt to keep some positive momentum going after a star was knocked out cold. The play would have worked and I did think there was PI, but it is what it is.

- Marion's 1st and 3rd TD drives were absolutely brilliant. A nice mix of plays with some short and long gains. The 2 play drive to end the half was some opportunistic stuff and nice also, but I was more impressed by the aforementioned sustained drives.

- #4 is a load also. Willie was right.

- #5 CR might have only gotten 60+ yards, but he scored two red zone TDs on 1st down that were both electrifying. What a special kid he is.

- I thought #78 and #17 for Marion both played like soldiers. Two very gutty talented kids.

I am also a huge Sayers fan. 

All in all, Marion, some will say, are the Buffalo Bills of 2A. My take is this- ask any fan of the Bills or the AFC teams they pummeled what they think of the Bills now. The answer is that history will reflect extremely positively on this group of Warriors. It's a huge task to make it to Cookeville once, much less 3 straight years. In all 3 cases they had their shots, but lost to probably better teams. There is no shame in that. Marion fans, minus some of their false humility and a little more cockiness this year, are the type of fan base that any school should be proud to have. Passionate, knowledgeable.

- I have some things to say about T, their coaches and fans.

First, I was wrong about them in so many ways.  Not just the Jackson kid, although he is a huge statement to the character of the program, but all the T kids in general seemed to be good kids who played a clean hard hitting game. #9 got elevated once, but it is the state playoff final. Overall I think they are good young men. More than good. They are true champions in every sense of the word.

Second, I sold that staff short too. I was wrong. To do what this guy has done back to back is an all time great achievement. Kudos to Coach White.

Finally, this is the second straight year I have ventured into the Trezevant section with a couple of old buddies of mine to watch a football game. Three guys in their 60s. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the T fans were the nicest folks you could ever be around. Folks chatted with us and we chatted with them. Thruout the game. They were very sweet people who love their Bears and that's it. To the poster who claimed they were singing or chanting during Zemen's injury I can state unequivocally that that accusation is FALSE. It was completely silent other than a few whisperings. T fans were VERY respectful. They also were cheering loudly when Zemen gave a thumbs up (what a moment eh??). T fans got that Zemen was a true Warrior, and they appreciated his fight, and wanted him to be ok. To insinuate otherwise is asinine. 

What a game and what a two years of competition. 

Congrats to both programs on back to back appearances. Both programs have much to be proud of. 

Trezevant, Undisputed Champs of 2A, 2015, 2016.  

f98f26696cf4f386436c6a112610f1a2.jpg

Trezevant wins second straight 2A title

John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com 6:38 p.m. CST December 3, 2016

COOKEVILLE â€” Trezevant football coach Teli White has been quiet since returning from a five-day suspension as part of allegations into grade-changing at his program.

But he had plenty to say Saturday after his Bears made history, becoming the first school from the former MIAA to win consecutive championships with a 42-20 victory over Marion County in a rematch of last year's title game.

"You can't say you're all about kids and then give up on kids," he said. "You can't just say 'oh, that kid doesn't respect me.' You have to be with them all the time ... show them that you care.

"My mother was in the hospital for 13 weeks because of all that (the grade probe). She was in intensive care for 10 weeks, only got out on Tuesday. Tubes in her mouth ... but I was there at school every day for those kids. Every day at practice. They knew I was there for them.

"These are excellent kids. Don't take away chances from them because of the perception you have. 'Those kids.' Don't just say you're about children, do something for them. If you grab them (early) they may stray ... but they won't get away."

It was sweet validation for White, who was coaching in the fourth title game of his career, second among Shelby County coaches behind Bobby Alston of MUS. The Bears join the Owls, MUS and Bishop Byrne as the only Shelby County schools to win consecutive football titles.

And they did so without a 100 percent healthy Cordarrian Richardson. The Mr. Football winner â€” who has committed to Clemson â€” ran for 67 yards and scored twice despite an ankle injury that limited him to just two carries in last week's semifinal victory over Waverly.

"I asked him how he was and he said, '85 percent,'" said White. "I said, 'well, that automatically makes us two touchdowns better.'"

The Bears got a Most Valuable Player performance from quarterback Tywon Johnson, who ran for 200 yards and scored three touchdowns, including the go-ahead on a 77-yard run on third-and-27 after Marion County (13-2) had battled back to the game at 20.

"I'm an athlete," said Johnson. "That's what I can do. I think they were expecting us to depend on Cordarrian like we did last year (when he set BlueCross Bowl records for yards and carries).

Johnson's touchdown run was huge. Much like last year's game, Marion County fell behind early but then seized the momentum with Toney Sampson's 27-yard pass to Hunter Zeman on the last play of the first half and Hunter McClain's two-yard run with 7:17 to go in the third that tied it.

"There was a lot of cussing on the sidelines," said White. "I asked (defensive coordinator) Antwoine Wellington, 'can we not (tackle) one guy?' But you know he played linebacker for Notre Dame ... and he kind of yelled at me so I said, 'okay, I just won't say anything then.'"

Added Joshua Reed, who had 10 tackles to earn defensive MVP honors, "It was very physical. I loved Marion County's effort. But we just had to lift our heads and keep fighting."

Richardson's second touchdown, a 17-yard run with 7:11 to go in the game, came after Zeman was seriously injured on a punt return. The Marion County player lay motionless for several minutes, with Trezevant's Tristian Jackson underneath him. Zeman was stretchered off and was reported to have numbness in his lower back and legs.

"I asked if he was okay and he didn't respond so I just stayed still," Jackson told the Chattanooga Times-Free Press after the game. "We all wanted to win today but at the end of the day he has family to go home to and his life to live and I didn't want him hurt worse."

Jonathan Gatewood, who had a terrific juggling catch for a crucial first down earlier in the fourth, iced the game with a 26-yard touchdown run off a fake punt.

"I said, 'Lord God, Gatewood,'" said White. "I didn't know he had it in him."

At 10-5, Trezevant will finish the season with more losses than any of the BlueCross Bowl champions. But White said for 'those kids' to perform the way the did, well, he couldn't be prouder.

"May 2017 is going to be the happiest time of my life," he said. "We came up here to state in 2010 and we had a player named LaMarcus Stewart. He hit the (opposing) punter in the back (illegally) and I put him off the team. But his dad asked me to give him another chance.

"So I talked with him every day, worked with him. And now he's graduating from college (Missouri State) in May. He was an at-risk kid but he's going to graduate in four years. Give these kids a chance ... that's all I ask."

Edited by kwc

TSSAA CLASS 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

At Cookeville, Tenn.

TREZEVANT 42, MARION CO. 20

MARION CO. 7 6 7 0 — 20

Trezevant 6 14 0 22 — 42

Trez — Cordarrian Richardson 19 run (pass failed)

MC — McClain 1 run (McElroy kick)

Trez — Tywon Johnson 5 run (run failed)

Trez — Tywon Johnson 8 run (Joshua Reed run)

MC — Zeman 27 pass from Sampson (run failed)

MC — McClain 2 run (McElroy kick)

Trez — Tywon Johnson 77 run (run failed)

Trez — Cordarrian Richardson 17 run (Tywon Johnson run)

Trez — Johnathan Gatewood 26 run (Johnathan Gatewood pass from Tywon Johnson)

MC      TREZ

First downs                                    12         15

Net yards rushing                        168        345

Net yards passing                         73          47

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing â€” Marion Co., Saylors 11-72. Trezevant, Tywon Johnson 15-207, Cordarrian Richardson 21-87, Joshua Reed 5-60.

Passing â€” Marion Co., Sampson 7-16-73-0. Trezevant, Tywon Johnson 3-6-47-0.

Receiving â€” Marion Co., Zeman 3-59. 

Records â€” Marion Co. 13-2, Trezevant 10-5.

Edited by kwc

I'll take my crow Memphis style. 

Willie and other T fans, I usually don't post on weekends as I am caring for an ageing relative in Carter Co. Once my help gets here during the week it frees me up some.

I was all ready to get on here and blast everyone in sight this morning. Trezevant has had a grade scandal that we still have no idea how it will play out, and Marion is on probation again. We should be able to do better. The TSSAA is a sham organization and everyone here knows it. They couldn't manage microwaving a pop tart unless it involved giving them 50% of the proceeds.

But Saturday's game had so much GOOD in it, that I am leaving those items for now. Maybe forever. So much that happened Saturday was a reminder of the great in people, athletics, and this message board.  

I have a few thoughts.

- Boy I am a believer in Trez. A second year makes us go back and look at the first year more closely. As dominant as Marion was in getting to C'ville, Trez was equally as dominant of Marion both times basically.

- The Jackson kid for T is nothing short of a hero. It's obvious not only his internal character, but the character of those who raised this young man. What an absolutely touching story. He taught us all a lesson in class, quick-thinking, humility, and God fearing.

- Let us not forget the Zeman kid, who I have made it clear I am a huge fan of. That kid isa fighter and a winner. So grateful he is going to be ok.

- #14 for Trezevant was a man's man Saturday.

- Marion, if you forget the botched punt and the 4th down fail with 9 min remaining in the 4th, was very much in this game.  I'd love to rip their coach for going fo rit but I understand why he did it. He felt that his D was finished. I disagree with him, but he made a desperate attempt to keep some positive momentum going after a star was knocked out cold. The play would have worked and I did think there was PI, but it is what it is.

- Marion's 1st and 3rd TD drives were absolutely brilliant. A nice mix of plays with some short and long gains. The 2 play drive to end the half was some opportunistic stuff and nice also, but I was more impressed by the aforementioned sustained drives.

- #4 is a load also. Willie was right.

- #5 CR might have only gotten 60+ yards, but he scored two red zone TDs on 1st down that were both electrifying. What a special kid he is.

- I thought #78 and #17 for Marion both played like soldiers. Two very gutty talented kids.

I am also a huge Sayers fan. 

All in all, Marion, some will say, are the Buffalo Bills of 2A. My take is this- ask any fan of the Bills or the AFC teams they pummeled what they think of the Bills now. The answer is that history will reflect extremely positively on this group of Warriors. It's a huge task to make it to Cookeville once, much less 3 straight years. In all 3 cases they had their shots, but lost to probably better teams. There is no shame in that. Marion fans, minus some of their false humility and a little more cockiness this year, are the type of fan base that any school should be proud to have. Passionate, knowledgeable.

- I have some things to say about T, their coaches and fans.

First, I was wrong about them in so many ways.  Not just the Jackson kid, although he is a huge statement to the character of the program, but all the T kids in general seemed to be good kids who played a clean hard hitting game. #9 got elevated once, but it is the state playoff final. Overall I think they are good young men. More than good. They are true champions in every sense of the word.

Second, I sold that staff short too. I was wrong. To do what this guy has done back to back is an all time great achievement. Kudos to Coach White.

Finally, this is the second straight year I have ventured into the Trezevant section with a couple of old buddies of mine to watch a football game. Three guys in their 60s. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the T fans were the nicest folks you could ever be around. Folks chatted with us and we chatted with them. Thruout the game. They were very sweet people who love their Bears and that's it. To the poster who claimed they were singing or chanting during Zemen's injury I can state unequivocally that that accusation is FALSE. It was completely silent other than a few whisperings. T fans were VERY respectful. They also were cheering loudly when Zemen gave a thumbs up (what a moment eh??). T fans got that Zemen was a true Warrior, and they appreciated his fight, and wanted him to be ok. To insinuate otherwise is asinine. 

What a game and what a two years of competition. 

Congrats to both programs on back to back appearances. Both programs have much to be proud of. 

Trezevant, Undisputed Champs of 2A, 2015, 2016.  

Nice take I know we are all on here just for the fun and I will say knowledge so just know that my smack talk is all in fun. Now about the game I feel that Marion keyed on CR to a fault. I know it seemed like if you stop him you can beat Trezevant but what his injury showed was that there were more capable athletes on the team. Now it helps to be playing in 2A but that's where we were placed. They have a couple of players who would star on other teams but they had to take a back seat to CR and that's not including the interior lineman and fullback. With that being said Marion was up to the challenge they were in position to make tackles but either a stiff arm or speed hurt them on 4 or 5 plays. The coach is taking much heat for the 4th down call to go for it. But I think he went with his gut because of the injury to Zeman it really seemed to put a damper on the game. From my perspective it was definitely a pass interference but hey it wasn't called. Then once the second kid got injured it really was like let's go ahead and get this game over because it was starting to feel weird too me. No one wants to see boys carried off on a stretcher from playing a game. I believe though that the injury to Zeman made it possible for Trezevant to show the state that we are not hoodlums and thugs. It was beyond words the compassion showed for Zeman by the fans and especially Tristan Jackson. I have put several names of the athletes I believed was going to be factors in this game and indeed they were (Reed, Mason, Gatewood). But Tristan Jackson became the story of the game and hopefully ESPN will pick it up to show this team in a better light. I watched the defeat on the eyes of #17 for Marion and I just wanted to tell him GOOD GAME because they gave all they had and left it on the field but it just wasn't to be. This game was 20-20 and I was nervous but I knew we had playmakers and they made them. It has been fun on the 2A boards but it looks like we will be back to the underdog role on the 3A boards but we have 4 years to get back up there and I hope we can do it. If we can play Greeneville, Fulton, Marion I think we can play with Alcoa too. 

"Then once the second kid got injured it really was like let's go ahead and get this game over because it was starting to feel weird too me"

Willie this is an excellent point. 

Yeah Tristan even said it in an interview that both teams wanted to play hard and win but at the end of the day everyone wants to go home healthy. As Zeman lay there motionless I promise you it was more prayers going up in that stadium than at my church yesterday.

The Trezevant boys played good but I still think our coach coached harder in this game. We were about to win this game when two of our best players got hurt. I know for sure that coach had some special plays he was saving for the fourth quarter and then we couldn't run them when these players got hurt. Coach did the smart thing and just saved them for next year after they got hurt. Our coach and our team is still the best. Trezevant got real lucky when we lost our starters in the last quarter. That team was tired and was about to get beat. I just wish we could have run those special plays he was saving for the last quarter. He was very smart and was going to do them in the last quarter so Trezevant could not adjust to them. Good game for Trezevant but bad luck for us. 

FEAR THE TEAM, FEAR THE WING, FEAR THE BEARD 2017!