Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

I appreciate everyone keeping things civil to this point. I think there is a great dialog to be had here, so I'd like to add to the discussion. I hope others will follow and continue to keep things civil.

I'm white, I was born and raised in east TN, although neither of my parents are from the south; my dad grew up in central Ohio, while my mom was a USAF "brat" (born in the UK, grew up in western Ontario and NW Ohio). I'm a "to each his own" kind of guy, so I understand that the aforementioned flag means something very different to a lot of folks. I'm in my mid-30s, and I'll admit that I continue to struggle with that flag and what it represents (to me). However, there's another aspect of this debate that rarely gets brought up, and I think it deserves to be pointed out.

Seeing people in east TN defend that flag as part of their "heritage" is difficult for me to stomach, as a history buff. I love east TN, and I am proud to call it my home, but if we are specifically defending that flag as part of this region's heritage, then we are denying the proven fact that east Tennesseans were overwhelmingly sympathetic to the Union cause during the Civil War; 70% of east TN (90+% in many rural counties) opposed the secession ordinance, compared to the ~86% of middle/west TN voters who favored secession from the Union. Heck, East TN came within a whisker of pulling a West VA in 1861; if not for the state legislature rejecting the proposal (which shouldn't come as a surprise, since middle/west representation supported the Confederacy), it likely would have happened.

150 years later, this gets lost on many East Tennesseans, and I'm not sure why. I'm proud of the fact that this region stood against secession during the Civil War, yet I can't understand why so many folks proudly sport the flag that their great-great grandparents stood against, and many risked their lives to take that stance. I guess my hope is that if we're really going to celebrate and honor our region's heritage, we probably should get our story straight. Just some food for thought.

Bingo!! It's so stupid. This area was Pro-Union as you said. And even if it is someone's heritage it isn't an heritage to be proud of I know that much. Nazism is Germany's heritage as well, but do you think the ones living today are proud of that heritage? I'd sure as he#$ hope not. Just ridiculous logic.

The rebel flag has come to be widely seen as a symbol of southern pride and culture. As I said earlier, symbols only have meaning if we attach meaning to them. Furthermore, those meanings can change. The state of Tennessee is a southern state and is more culturally aligned with the other southern states than the rest of the country. And yes, a lot of Tennesseans were against secession but when push came to shove the state sided with the other southern states. It cannot be denied that the flag has been used by certain people and movements for evil purposes. It also cannot be denied that the flag also has a very positive meaning for many people. I've known a few black people who even like it.

Please explain the "positive meaning" of the flag for some people?

Not difficult to pinpoint the idiots in this thread. My goodness. This is a football board. Take the racism whining elsewhere. We see enough of that crap on the news. It's almost 2017. I would like to read updates on the MHS HC search, not whining about the rebel flag.

And the flag should've probably been left in 1969. Racism is still alive and well. It's not like it ended with the civil rights movement, and no matter how much you cover your ears and stomp your feet, that is just a fact. 

I was born and raised in West TN, but I've never had much use for the rebel flag. I've always seen it as a symbol of this country's dark past, similar to the swastika in Germany. If you need the rebel flag to represent your "southern pride", then chances are you're pretty simple minded. I've also never understood why southerners are so bent on preserving a symbol of a war they LOST. Seems like something I'd want to move on from, especially 150 years after the fact.  

Batmandevil your a good man and i can tell you was raised up right. I just wish u took off the Maryville pom - poms being a Greeneville fan, but that's neither here nor there. If this was opposed on this thread then it was a serious concern. This really doesn't need to be fully a race debate cause nothing i say or other blacks, or how many black friends u have are going to bridge the gap, we are so divided

There will always be people that don't like me or mine and the same for you Compton.I have a son that is a good cop and because of a few bad ones and a few people that see cops as all bad,my son has a very dangerous job.Life is just not fair sometimes and we have to make the best of it.

And the flag should've probably been left in 1969. Racism is still alive and well. It's not like it ended with the civil rights movement, and no matter how much you cover your ears and stomp your feet, that is just a fact.

I was born and raised in West TN, but I've never had much use for the rebel flag. I've always seen it as a symbol of this country's dark past, similar to the swastika in Germany. If you need the rebel flag to represent your "southern pride", then chances are you're pretty simple minded. I've also never understood why southerners are so bent on preserving a symbol of a war they LOST. Seems like something I'd want to move on from, especially 150 years after the fact.

Right on brother

Not difficult to pinpoint the idiots in this thread. My goodness. This is a football board. Take the racism whining elsewhere. We see enough of that crap on the news. It's almost 2017. I would like to read updates on the MHS HC search, not whining about the rebel flag.

Can we talk about the recruiting and tuition players pay instead?  That alone should have the Rebels in the private school division. 

folks this right here, pinpointed right herei wish somebody post this person pictures so we all can get a good look at whomever. This very reason is why we stay seperated, instead of tackling these issues we run from them.

What would posting my pictures prove? I'm not running from anything. This is a thread about Quarles leaving MHS & the coaching search for his replacement. If you all want to discuss your perceived issues and problems I suggest creating a new thread for that.

What would posting my pictures prove? I'm not running from anything. This is a thread about Quarles leaving MHS & the coaching search for his replacement. If you all want to discuss your perceived issues and problems I suggest creating a new thread for that.

He's a Maryville hater, just like all the rest that the Red Rebels tattooed that big L on over and over and over

Hi momma. Momma don't use lol when u mean it. This topic needs to be addressed and then i will forget my password for awhile. Sitback and watch if 1 of them 2 blacks gets the head coaching job, the rumbling between whites and blacks.

First of all, very few people can call me Momma and you aren't one of them. I put lol because I'm laughing at you