2016-2017 Class AA State Finals

ballinup90

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, and it's a broken record now still. In Memphis/Nashville/Murfessboro those kids have skill trainers, they play on top level AAU teams. Kids in the Jackson and rural areas don't get that chance. And until somebody changes this, it's gonna stay the same.

It's some kids in these rural countys who play aau and have skill trainers. Now they may not be as many kids who take advantage of it. You can say the same for GBP. I understand your point

Not sleeping on anyone. I'm pulling for our neighbors to the North--the Westview Lady Chargers. Looking at Gat-Pittman schedule, they are a solid team with a lot of quality opponents. I hope that WV can get it done this year. IMO, WV has the pieces to do it. 2 Bigs, Great Ball Handler, multiple shooters that can nail the 3. They play the best defense in West Tennessee and sometimes it isn't pretty, but it's pretty enough. Some of the issues I've seen with WV is player-personnel rotation or lack thereof. Hopefully after last year's effort against East Nashville and what happened in the 4th quarter, they've figured it out and will get the players on the court which give the best chance to win. If WV rotates properly, let the bigs go get the ball and let your PG control the game...WV should get to the Championship. Nothing against GP, but 5 years in a row for WV is a hard feat to duplicate but their entire team has been on this stage every year of their high school careers. The opposite bracket with East Nashville, Upperman, South Side---that'll be the up and down the court bracket. I think SS matches up good with Upperman and the way they attack the boards and fly down the court. Levy is a great player, but her speed won't be any faster than SS's. SS's big is faster than most guards and she can leap. I'd love to see a WV/SS championship...for this year's Round 2 matchup. If that happens, I'm picking WV. Go Region 7AA.

Speaking of player rotation, I was baffled that the Tucker kid sat most of the game, whole 2nd Half. She played a few minutes in the 1st Half, hit a big three, and was taken out and never seen the floor. She played a lot and was productive in the state last couple of years. Edited by pioneer42

He might just be saying when you in a district like ours with 2 recent state champs and multiple girls signing D1 letters. It's makes them tuff. During this tournament even in the regionals I haven't seen a team better then east yet..

Guess you have now. I think Southside was the 2nd best team at the glass house in AA just ran into the best in 1st round.

Speaking of player rotation, I was baffled that the Tucker kid sat most of the game, whole 2nd Half. She played a few minutes in the 1st Half, hit a big three, and was taken out and never seen the floor. She played a lot and was productive in the state last couple of years.

I didn't have the computer up there this weekend, but I agree with you as well. I was kind of surprised Tucker never went back in the 4th and maybe OT. I do remember her playing in the first half and about 3 minutes in the third. In my opinion, it wasn't what Gatlinburg Pittman did it was what Westview didn't do...again....you can't go 12 for 24?? on the free throw line up there. I really enjoy watching Graves and Jones play, but they struggled on the free throw line. I also heard the flu bug had struck WV and 6 or 7 players had the flu. At the end of the game, Jones-Moore-Cantrell looked a little sluggish..but if they make free throws, they win the game regardless. I don't know if they could've beaten Pearl Cohn after watching them. They're lanky and fast. I'm sure WV will be contending again next year. One of their parents said on Thursday they are losing 6 seniors, but have some young horses coming up with the bigs and the 2 point guards coming back too. 

I didn't have the computer up there this weekend, but I agree with you as well. I was kind of surprised Tucker never went back in the 4th and maybe OT. I do remember her playing in the first half and about 3 minutes in the third. In my opinion, it wasn't what Gatlinburg Pittman did it was what Westview didn't do...again....you can't go 12 for 24?? on the free throw line up there. I really enjoy watching Graves and Jones play, but they struggled on the free throw line. I also heard the flu bug had struck WV and 6 or 7 players had the flu. At the end of the game, Jones-Moore-Cantrell looked a little sluggish..but if they make free throws, they win the game regardless. I don't know if they could've beaten Pearl Cohn after watching them. They're lanky and fast. I'm sure WV will be contending again next year. One of their parents said on Thursday they are losing 6 seniors, but have some young horses coming up with the bigs and the 2 point guards coming back too.

The seniors will be missed, but there is so much talent coming back next year for Westview. Juniors Jones and Graves will be back along with sophomores Johnson (big) and Gadlen (who really came around at end of this season) and then freshmen Callins and Yancey will be ready next season and add those missing pieces. They will be more athletic next year for sure!

District 14AA and Region 7A is far from weak. Now maybe this next 4 years it may be when they adding 3 single A teams. SS played Upperman good til 4th qtr. Anxious to know the rebound margin, which i think was the difference plus #11 hitting those timely 3s. First time jitters may have played a part as well, but i accept to see them back. Everybody on here us so bias to there area without seeing teams throughout the year. Westview has been to state like 5 consecutive times and they had to beat a food Haywood team to get there so saying districts and regions are weak is not REALISTIC!