Offishull Catholick att Mairvul thread

STARSNBARS

On 8/23/2017 at 0:17 AM, smoltz said:

IIs it true, the "WHITE HAT" for this game was Barry Mathis? If true, this would be completely unethical. I hear he is not only a very loyal Maryville alum, but he was also a star QB for Maryville back in the day. I have also heard 2 other Maryville grads were on that crew.

I know there is no way to make sure all Friday night football crews are perfectly matched up and assigned so nobody calls a game for their former high school. I do think it is a MAJOR difference and a serous conflict of interest IF the "WHITE HAT" was an alumni and former star player for a team in a game that featured the 2 top ranked teams in this area. This should never happen.

You can't throw flags on 5 plays that resulted in 1st downs, overlook an intentional grounding, call a pass that short hops the receiver a catch, have a line judge call holding on a player that didn't even make contact with a defender, and have all of these penalties go against one team and all in the 2nd half and not have people start wondering if this crew was partial to one team. 

I thought it was someone joking when they said on coacht last week that if it was a close game, Catholic better get ready to lose by 1 referee. I will feel so much better if someone in the know can tell me this is not true concerning "Barry Mathis" being the "WHITE HAT" and his alleged ties to Maryville. And for the record, in my opinion only, I think if these 2 teams played 10 times, each team would probably go about 5-5. And even if this was a "homer" ref crew, it doesn't diminish the heart and characer that the Maryville players displayed to come back in this game. 

+1