McGill freshman RB from William Blount transfers to maryville

fooseball95

2 minutes ago, MLREB said:

I'm not so sure that statement is 100% accurate. I am sure it is the perception, though. Do you care to expand on that statement?

Absolutely. Citing numbers from the TN DOE website, WB has an economically disadvantaged student percentage of 22.4%, and Maryville's is at 11.9%. Socioeconomic factors and educational performance are never as simple as numbers on a chart, but there is a correlation between schools with a higher percentage of impoverished students and school-wide academic success.

Here is where I obtained my numbers: https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/report-card

4 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

Absolutely. Citing numbers from the TN DOE website, WB has an economically disadvantaged student percentage of 22.4%, and Maryville's is at 11.9%. Socioeconomic factors and educational performance are never as simple as numbers on a chart, but there is a correlation between schools with a higher percentage of impoverished students and school-wide academic success.

Here is where I obtained my numbers: https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/report-card

Fair enough....thanks for expanding on this. 

Edited by MLREB

36 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

I don't mean to be contrary, but I believe that a child's academic success has much more to do with parenting and natural-born ability than anything that happens at school. Maryville's student body is different than WB's as a whole, but that doesn't mean anything about WB as an academic institution. WB has excellent teachers and is an excellent school. 

If we're talking about academics instead of football, I will just leave this here: https://sites.google.com/a/blountk12.org/latest-news/news/threewilliamblountstudentswinscholarships

But if we're talking about football, I must say that this whole thread is a little unsettling. I see a lot of posters seemingly excited about WB's misfortunes, and I'm not really sure why.  I wish the player the best of luck at Maryville. It wouldn't be the first time a former Governor has won a ring wearing red and black (as a player or coach). However, for everyone who feels it's necessary to insult William Blount, I must say that I wouldn't trade my time in orange and blue for anything, and those memories mean more to me than my rings. 

You can achieve great things from either school. I have noticed that the floor or baseline is higher at Maryville, because of all the work they are all expected to complete. I know Merit Scholars, Vanderbilt Law Graduates, University of Chicago PhD candidates, engineers, etc... who have come through WB. I enjoyed my three years there, and unlike THROWDESLANT likes to say, I was not in auto body.

• Upvote 1