Crockett football team not allowed to practice, Coach Sensabaugh under fire

blazer1set

22 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Either way it's a cluster and once again the kids pay the price.None of this makes sense.If GS is the coach or not,those kids should be on the field and someone should be coaching them.

I'm guessing they just haven't been able to name an interim coach yet.  If there's no coach who's got certification by the TSSAA and has signed the paperwork yet, they can't legally practice.

Edited by BlueDevil58

I'll say this; while parents are fine with him speaking up to address these issues, I know several football parents who wish he'd waited until after the season to do so. As one of them told me today, it's caused a big distraction and it's hurting his team whether he wants to admit it or not.

3 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I'm guessing they just haven't been able to name an interim coach yet.  If there's no coach who's got certification by the TSSAA and has signed the paperwork yet, there's no practice.

Still doesn't hold water unless the whole staff is fired and there isn't a coach in the school that could not  have put them through some kind of weight training ,conditioning or something.I guess we will see when the smoke clears

54 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I wish.

I know a lot of people in that system and I've been following the stuff on Facebook after he news story broke.  I've taught and coached for years in other systems, too.  I just rolled my eyes as I read rant after rant from this jerk.

The stuff he's griping about is mostly just the reality of working in any county school system in TN.   If the counties had the money that Kingsport, Bristol, or Johnson City get they wouldn't have most of these problems, but they don't have that money so they have to make do with what they've got.  GS doesn't get that and has destroyed his team and burned his bridges because of his one man crusade to personally run the school system.

I'm betting that the truth is somewhere in between. I'm not defending Sensabaugh, but some of his concerns are very legitimate. He should be free to voice those concerns. Granted there is a time and a place to voice those concerns, but it is evident that he believes that he can fight the status quo and create some much needed change. The sad part is that he is using his platform in a reckless way, and ultimately that is going to have a negative effect on his players.

Edited by osunut2

This is really getting interesting. I'm guessing there are a few butt hurt coaches and people with some connection to the school board posting here. Pretty easy to spot but of course they'll never admit it. Could spell trouble for those school board members (good ole boys) if the community gets behind Sensabaugh. Looks like he has the support of his players which means he has the support of the parent's, which means he has the support of the community. If they fire Sensabaugh this could get real dicey.  Especially considering how quickly he's turned the program around.

5 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'm betting that the truth is somewhere in between. I'm not defending Sensabaugh, but some of his concerns are very legitimate. He should be free to voice those concerns. Granted there is a time and a place to voice those concerns, but it is evident that he believes that he can fight the status quo and create some much needed change. The sad part is that he is using his platform in a reckless way, and ultimately that is going to have a negative effect on his players.

This is exactly what I've been saying since GS started voicing his concerns. The majority of people I've talked to agree with him. They applaud him for raising concerns on these issues. They don't, however, like the way in which he's raised them. There's a feeling among most that he's going about this the wrong way.

3 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

This is really getting interesting. I'm guessing there are a few butt hurt coaches and people with some connection to the school board posting here. Pretty easy to spot but of course they'll never admit it. Could spell trouble for those school board members (good ole boys) if the community gets behind Sensabaugh. Looks like he has the support of his players which means he has the support of the parent's, which means he has the support of the community. If they fire Sensabaugh this could get real dicey.  Especially considering how quickly he's turned the program around.

I can tell you for a fact he does not have the support of all the parents of his players.

5 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Originally he had my support.  The lack of walls in that horrible floorpan at JES is something that should have been fixed a long time ago, but there actually is a real plan to replace that whole building.  The inmate labor is lousy, but the cost of hiring real groundskeepers to do that would be extremely expensive.

That school system was over a million dollars in the red last year and had to cut a ton of positions just to get to this year.  All of those were legit concerns, but the money's just not there and if he really wants those problems solved, he needs to lobby for a change in the way the county funds education--namely, a tax increase.  Or he could have paid for the walls at JES himself if it means that much.  Instead he's just ranting and ranting away with conspiracy theory garbage.

A lot of what he was sharing on Facebook were just plain false, like the thing about Johnson City Schools taking the new school that's being built to replace Boone's Creek.  When people called him out on it, he just shot them down and called them liars... and people believed him.

Then he started throwing teachers under the bus.  That's when he lost me.  That's when it became clear we have a millionaire jackass who doesn't know what he's talking about railing against working people who've done more and sacrificed more for these kids than GS ever will, all for a fraction of his income or his notoriety.

Now he's crash and burned his team's season because he had to tell the school system how to run things, even when he's made it obvious he has no clue how things work and there is no way they can afford to do that stuff.

Edited by BlueDevil58

13 minutes ago, WBNC83 said:

I can tell you for a fact he does not have the support of all the parents of his players.

All he needs is "most". He obviously has the support of "all" his players at this point. And that is gold. The "good ole boys" will win in the end but lose in the long run. 

Update from the Johnson City Press

Head football coach Gerald Sensabaugh said Monday the administration was not doing the right thing. Washington County Director of Schools Kimber Halliburton, however, said Sensabaugh was responsible for the cancellation of practice because of a safety issue involving an injured player.

“I really understand parents’ concerns about practice being canceled, but Coach Sensabaugh (previously) practiced a player who was under doctor’s orders not to practice,” Halliburton said. “After disregarding the doctor’s orders, the coach then approached the player, confronted the player and the trainer in what the trainer described as an intimidating and harassing manner.

“Other witnesses actually saw this confrontation, and this student was confronted in front of his peers, which was embarrassing.”

Halliburton said practice was canceled for the safety of the students.

“Coach Sensabaugh disregarded the student’s safety by practicing him, and then made him feel bad for disclosing it,” she said. “I want our parents to know the safety of our students is the No. 1 priority above football and above anything.”