Crockett football team not allowed to practice, Coach Sensabaugh under fire

blazer1set

Just now, formerblazer said:

Nothing about five years here http://tssaa.org/tssaa-coaching-requirements/

He just needs to approved, reported to the TSSAA, and complete the safety courses.  I've never heard of five years coaching experience.  Where did you get that one?  As far as the state laws go, it just means he has to pass a background check.

This was my mistake and I'll own up to it.  That used to be a rule, but it turns out they repealed that rule just this year.  It's #5 below in changes to the bylaws.

handbook.pdf

7 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Stranger things have happened, but I don't see a school system issuing a statement that is a lie that opens themselves up to go to court.  It's an EASY way to get into court if they are lying.  If they are telling the truth you wouldn't see Sensabaugh fighting it because the way he would be fired would be "willingly putting a player into physical harm regardless of a doctor's note."

Paper trail, paper trail, paper trail on the county's part

That's the thing.  Schools aren't in the habit of releasing public statements begging for a lawsuit, especially when the guy in question has plenty of money to hire the best lawyers around, if they don't feel it's a slam dunk.  GS says the trainer agreed with him, they have a statement from the trainer saying that he/she felt "bullied" by Sensabaugh.  Etc.

There's more going on here than his social media "activism."

2 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

This was my mistake and I'll own up to it.  That used to be a rule, but it turns out they repealed that rule just this year.  It's #5 below in changes to the bylaws.

handbook.pdf

Ah ha, got ya.  Well good timing on WC part for that.  Also, and I know that is the update, it says five years experience, not coaching experience.  Experience could be playing football from 8-12th grade if that was what the word experience meant.  If it was "coaching" experience then yes, you are absolutely right, but he was hired back before they had this rule change.

1 minute ago, BlueDevil58 said:

That's the thing.  Schools aren't in the habit of releasing public statements begging for a lawsuit, especially when the guy in question has plenty of money to hire the best lawyers around, if they don't feel it's a slam dunk.  GS says the trainer agreed with him, they have a statement from the trainer saying that he/she felt "bullied" by Sensabaugh.  Etc.

There's more going on here than his social media "activism."

A trainer can agree with a coach, but when a kid goes to a doctor, he can't be released by the trainer, it has to be the doctor.  Now, if it said "can not participate in practice" then you can't really do anything besides have them watch.  If it said no contact you can put them in a helmet and they can walk through things.  I guess it all depends on what that note actually said.

7 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

A trainer can agree with a coach, but when a kid goes to a doctor, he can't be released by the trainer, it has to be the doctor.  Now, if it said "can not participate in practice" then you can't really do anything besides have them watch.  If it said no contact you can put them in a helmet and they can walk through things.  I guess it all depends on what that note actually said.

Exactly.  I don't think they're going take chances here.  If they have a note in writing, it's open and shut.

GS is probably used to the NFL way of doing things, where team doctors will routinely clear players right at gametime.  The thing is, this is an athletic trainer, not a doctor, as you point out.

An experienced coach would have known this.  If a coach practices a player who's been ruled out by a doctor, that's an automatic firing because of the risk it puts that player under.  You see it happen every year.

A few years ago Union County's coach got canned because he put a kid in for a few plays on his senior night with the parent's permission... but a doctor's note had already said he couldn't practice or play.

Edited by BlueDevil58

25 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

It is so hard to discern truth from falsehood on either side.    About the practice issue, I would just wonder this....  Crockett's last practice would have been Thursday 10/5/17, if this was such a big deal then why do we only hear about it last night (10/9) ??

From what the Director of Schools said last night on the news it sounded like there are two issues there.  One is him practicing a kid that was under a doctor's care and not supposed to practice.  The other was he allegedly bullied/intimidated the kid and a trainer, and she made it sound like at least some of this occurred after they reported him, i.e., he retaliated against them for turning him in.  As others have said, this is either all documented and they have the witnesses/documents to back it up or they don't.  If they do, he is toast IMO, aside from all of his FB antics and other allegations.

12 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Ah ha, got ya.  Well good timing on WC part for that.  Also, and I know that is the update, it says five years experience, not coaching experience.  Experience could be playing football from 8-12th grade if that was what the word experience meant.  If it was "coaching" experience then yes, you are absolutely right, but he was hired back before they had this rule change.

It was 5 years coaching experience normally at the high school or middle school level as an assistant. I didn't realize that this new change was in place. My school had actually hired a new baseball coach that wasn't on staff so they had to name a faculty member to be the "head coach" on paper.