New AP poll

Blaze45

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question....  should AP rankings be about how good a team is NOW or how good you may have been in past games of the current season?

Case......  Farragut lost to DB but is still ranked, DB is unranked.    DB is BETTER than Farragut right NOW.     Maybe back in August Farragut was better, we have no way of knowing that for sure.     DB has lost more games than Farragut, so I guess rankings are about how good/bad you were since Aug 18, not how good/bad you are right NOW.

Edited by blazer1set

OK first off you have to know where the 15-20 writers are that vote.  Most are in upper East Tn.  That is why it always burned me when they had DB as #1 every year vs teams like the 2005 R'dale team.  While DB usually went 10-0 during the regular season, they always folded in the playoffs while R'dale was usually at least in the Gold Ball game.

MJ you are rated that low because the writers outside Nashville do NOT know your team and you are not consistently there year after year.

Same thing goes for West Tn teams.  The writers do know Germantown as it is the one team besides WH that has won the gold ball and used to be in the running like R'dale WAS.

Biggest thing is what game the writers that vote have actually seen!  Most may have seen a game or two on TV, but when was the last time you have seen them at ANY game.  Krieger is the only one I can name and he rarely gets outside of Rutherford County.

'IF' a team wants respect they will get it only after they win the Gold Ball!

On 10/9/2017 at 3:24 PM, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Yes and that's the sole reason you chose to post this... so many MJ haters could feed you all the opinions you want to hear and make you feel better about Blackman being behind Mj lol

This is MJ year. Been a long time coming. Germantown is on the rise but they will be put out when they have to play the teams from middle.

13 hours ago, pizzpatriot said:

This is MJ year. Been a long time coming. Germantown is on the rise but they will be put out when they have to play the teams from middle.

MJ has to come through the East side of the bracket because they play in Region 4 this year. They will more then likely have to beat Blackman, Oakland, and Maryville, in that order, to make it to the championship game. If this is there year, then that's what they will have to do this year to get there.

Edited by kwc

On 10/9/2017 at 4:37 PM, FBfan26 said:

Why is Whitehaven #5 and there the Champs?? Kinda starting to see what Kwc talking about

they were the champs from last year.   there may be a few changes as in graduation, new players stepping up, or better competition.  i've never understood why teams get rated on last years performance.  they could very well win it all again this year but last years rank shouldn't automatically give them the top rung this year... IMHO

^ I just don't look at it that way. Teams are definitely either given credit in rankings or not, based on their program and how good they are on a consistent basis. I think last year's 6A champ with a 1 td loss to another state champ last year should be higher than 5 IMO if Maryville is going to be @ #2 with a loss to last year's 6A runner up. This is all just opinion though ofcourse. These polls will all work out. Blackman and MJ (H-ville as well depending on how these last 2 games go) have the two toughest roads to the state championship game. Either are going to have to beat Oak or Maryville. Going to be some GOOD playoff games coming soon

Edited by thegreatone36