5A Playoff Predictions

Bump11

22 hours ago, JNewman said:

Hmmmm. I think I will skip ahead to the third round match ups that I think will come to pass. I am not as confident on the QUAD 2 and 3 picks as I am with Quad 1 & 2.

Quad I Round 3: Sevier County @ South Doyle
Quad II Round 3: Fulton @ Oak Ridge
Quad III Round 3: Gallatin @ Beech
Quad IV Round 3: Clarksville NE @ Henry County

I know Catholic and Beech are everyone's favorites---but I don't think either makes it to Cookeville. I think Beech finishes at 13-1 while Catholic finishes at 8-4. I also have a feeling that the 5A state championship will be decided in the Quad 2 quarterfinal game---regardless of who it is. My gut says it will be a rematch of the week 11 contest between Fulton and Oak Ridge. .

That’s bold. I agree that whoever comes out of quad 2 goes to Cookeville.  But I don’t know who beats Beech out of 3 or 4. A Beech-Henry Co rematch would be ideal as a fan of just the game if football. That’s the one team I think can beat Beech. But idk if they will. My guess is no

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, thegreatone36 said:

Catholic makes it out of the East IMO

As an Oak Ridge fan, Catholic scares me big time. They have developed an almost invincible reputation despite 3 loses. Can someone please post what are the Irish's strengths and weaknesses? Thanks.

As for OR, we have a difficult task against a Knox West team that can disrupt our offense. Should be a great game.

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

As an Oak Ridge fan, Catholic scares me big time. They have developed an almost invincible reputation despite 3 loses. Can someone please post what are the Irish's strengths and weaknesses? Thanks.

As for OR, we have a difficult task against a Knox West team that can disrupt our offense. Should be a great game.

Dominating line play with 3 starters having multiple Power 5 offers and the other 2 will play at the next level. . Solid offensively with the return of a RB that was injured earlier. Bussell has elite speed and is a game changer. Not a ton of depth if there are injuries. Biggest weakness has been discipline/penalties. Having different officials should help.

The three losses are to teams that are currently 27-1. All three should win the state in their respective division. Eagles Landing is the best team I've seen live in 40+ years of watching high school football.

48 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Dominating line play with 3 starters having multiple Power 5 offers and the other 2 will play at the next level. . Solid offensively with the return of a RB that was injured earlier. Bussell has elite speed and is a game changer. Not a ton of depth if there are injuries. Biggest weakness has been discipline/penalties. Having different officials should help.

The three losses are to teams that are currently 27-1. All three should win the state in their respective division. Eagles Landing is the best team I've seen live in 40+ years of watching high school football.

Thanks but you just made me more worried if OR is lucky enough to play them :D This reminds me of being at St. Mary's Catholic School in Oak Ridge and putting Jesus, Mary and Joseph on my test papers.

5 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Thanks but you just made me more worried if OR is lucky enough to play them :D This reminds me of being at St. Mary's Catholic School in Oak Ridge and putting Jesus, Mary and Joseph on my test papers.

Not as explosive as last year. Rodgers and Kuerschen are playing big minutes at Clemson and Tulane as true freshmen. Kuerschen has led Tulane in tackles in 3-4 games already. Graduated  7-8 starters but others have stepped in to fill their shoes! Should have beat Maryville after leading about 48 minutes but were blown out by Brentwood and Eagles Landing. Definitely played a schedule to get us ready for playoff time!

1 hour ago, IrishBBall said:

Not as explosive as last year. Rodgers and Kuerschen are playing big minutes at Clemson and Tulane as true freshmen. Kuerschen has led Tulane in tackles in 3-4 games already. Graduated  7-8 starters but others have stepped in to fill their shoes! Should have beat Maryville after leading about 48 minutes but were blown out by Brentwood and Eagles Landing. Definitely played a schedule to get us ready for playoff time!

Honest question, IBB. Do you think the Catholic gravy train will slow down once Butch is let go @ UT? If, and when that happens of course.

Edited by SweetScience

23 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Honest question, IBB. Do you think the Catholic gravy train will slow down once Butch is let go @ UT? If, and when that happens of course.

Honestly no. Catholic Youth Football has been very successful for the past few years. Currently only two coaching connections kids have been big contributors in Jake Mahoney and Jack Jancek. I think the program itself along with coaching, facilities and exposure are what makes Catholic successful. We've been consistently sending players to the next level for 10+ years and I think that is attracting good players from outside the feeder system.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:02 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

Willie .. I can' see West scoring enough to beat y'all.. West defense pretty good but your offense will find some points .. as far as Catholic with what they have recruited there .. there is no way they should loose to teams around here .. huge line . Big backs ..  Big play Wr's.. they have it all . Defense gives up some points from time to time but their coaching staff has under achieved and got outcoached a number of times .. last year Fulton went to KC in playoffs and beat them soundly 45-14 Or something like that .. they had Rogers and Kuerchen .. Rogers never caught a pass and Kuerchen only a couple .. with all the studs they had they should never loose around here .. and they have more talent this year .. they get a bunch of unsportsmanlike penalties and coach has not been able or has not been willing to do anything about it .. but they still have talent to overcome .. this week they have a huge advantage in the OL and DL play .. huge .. and should be a heavy favorite .. the only Private school in Tennessee to still be playing public .. huge advantage for them . How they get away with it I don' know but they have. . As costly as it is to go to school there .. and for me knowing a couple families .. they musta hit the lottery to be able to afford it but TSSAA allowed it .. Good Luck in 3rd round if you meet them .. at least you gottem at home