4A Semi-Final Springfield vs Haywood

DutchMantel

7 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

I personally felt like we were better than SS but pretty even with Lexington, mind you both of those games were on road, a good 3 hour trip each time, but we have to move on.....

I didn't mean to sound negative, just that I feel that it will take a complete game for Springfield to have a shot at the end. Past game experience will not let your kids get down if they fall behind early, but to beat Haywood I believe y'all need the lead before halftime. 

Springfield has seen speed with Pearl Cohn, Beech, and some sprinkled out on other teams for the last 3 or 4 yrs so I don't expect us to be surprised. Haywood will have the respect from the Yellow Jackets. The question is can our speed and heart contain Haywood's speed and heart?

The 2nd half of our season we have had a privilege of several players just playing one side. Since this is do or die, SHS may need to put all of their speed guys on both sides of the ball for the most part....jmo

Edited by brian2000

54 minutes ago, Lejerwin said:

No disrespect to the  Yellow Jackets ,but Haywood is Beech on steroids. The team that you played in the 1st round they played in a 2 weeks before the season,and won 70 to 0 they would have beaten SS 63 to 14, they didn't won't to play SS because it wouldn't help them get better Oakland wouldn't play Haywood this year. The  guys that play offensive don't play defense.

Here we go again with common opponent score comparison, NONE of that matters. Haywood is very a good ball team no doubt, but everyone this time of year is a tough out for anyone. Both teams will have to play there best game to come out with the win, not just relying on our team beat said team by x amount of points so that means we should win the game. 

1 hour ago, Lejerwin said:

No disrespect to the  Yellow Jackets ,but Haywood is Beech on steroids. The team that you played in the 1st round they played in a 2 weeks before the season,and won 70 to 0 they would have beaten SS 63 to 14, they didn't won't to play SS because it wouldn't help them get better Oakland wouldn't play Haywood this year. The  guys that play offensive don't play defense.

Oakland didn't want to play Haywood bc they thumped that tail last yr 52-6. Would have been a waste of time for them apparently . Instead they played a team that wins championships almost every yr.....Maryville.

1 hour ago, Lejerwin said:

Most of our starters also play one way.

2 hours ago, Lejerwin said:

Lejerwin, looking at your profile, I see you became a CoachT member today.  Welcome!  I usually lurk on the boards since I don't care for trash talk, but I have a couple of questions about your post.  What makes you think Haywood is Beech on steroids?  I respectfully disagree.  Where do you get your information concerning Haywood's scheduling?  Look at Haywood's schedule from 2015 and 2016.  I can assure you Oakland wasn't afraid to play us in 2017.  As for South Side, HHS and South Side have somewhat of a rivalry in basketball, but we haven't played each other in football very often, so I have my doubts that there was a serious attempt to schedule South Side this year.

As for this week's game, I hope both teams play a clean injury free game.  Best of luck to both the Tomcats and the Yellow Jackets, but I'll be cheering for the Tomcats in Springfield's brand new stadium.

43 minutes ago, Poundtherock23 said:

I love it when we are the under dog, been this way they whole playoffs, apperantly West Tennesseans are the only people who play good football.....

I'm from West Tennessee. I said earlier that Springfield was better than SouthSide or Lexington, and have no doubt that "good football" is played from Johnson City to Memphis. Believe me when I tell you that I have no knowledge of most teams you've played this year (White House, Lexington, and SouthSide are it). I have no bias in this game, and for what it's worth I think the 'Jackets are pretty good...the fact remains that Haywood is one of the three or four best teams west of the river (excluding Memphis), and probably the best of even those. Play the underdog role to the hilt if you like, but this is the first game where that shoe fits.

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Lejerwin, looking at your profile, I see you became a CoachT member today.  Welcome!  I usually lurk on the boards since I don't care for trash talk, but I have a couple of questions about your post.  What makes you think Haywood is Beech on steroids?  I respectfully disagree.  Where do you get your information concerning Haywood's scheduling?  Look at Haywood's schedule from 2015 and 2016.  I can assure you Oakland wasn't afraid to play us in 2017.  As for South Side, HHS and South Side have somewhat of a rivalry in basketball, but we haven't played each other in football very often, so I have my doubts that there was a serious attempt to schedule South Side this year.

As for this week's game, I hope both teams play a clean injury free game.  Best of luck to both the Tomcats and the Yellow Jackets, but I'll be cheering for the Tomcats in Springfield's brand new stadium.

Enjoyed your username because it reminds me of the old STACMOT drive-in restaurant in Brownsville. Would go over from Covington and visit it 50-odd years ago while in high school, meet some girls, etc. (For those not in the know, spell it backward).

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Enjoyed your username because it reminds me of the old STACMOT drive-in restaurant in Brownsville. Would go over from Covington and visit it 50-odd years ago while in high school, meet some girls, etc. (For those not in the know, spell it backward).

Thanks Chargerfan.  I've enjoyed reading your posts as I have lurked around the boards.  We must be around the same age, and I think we share a somewhat similar philosophy.  I'm sure you remember the smoke-breathing dinosaur that served as the chimney for the Stacmot.  Stacmot is also the name of Haywood's mascot.  Haywood and Byars-Hall were pretty big rivals back in the day.  It sure would have been one heck of a game (and crowd) if Haywood and Covington had resumed their rivalry this year.  I wish the Chargers the best of luck against Pearl-Cohn.