Region updates

Bump11

30 minutes ago, CHSBLUE said:

I would say that you are correct, I think bump was just saying that its unfair that some only have to win one match to advance, while some have to run the gauntlet. I guess anyone that makes it to state has the chance for a magical run.

That is true...and I do get his point.

Another colossal mess...but courtesy, 100% of the TSSAA region placements.

heck, the boys can only wrestle what’s in front of them.

15 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

That is true...and I do get his point.

Another colossal mess...but courtesy, 100% of the TSSAA region placements.

heck, the boys can only wrestle what’s in front of them.

Well, unfortunately wrestling is like the other sports in that its what's best for the TSSSAA and not the wrestlers or the sport.

Just now, mrfixalot49 said:

Not sure how much it happens. But there are cases where the 3rd or 4th place kid ends up on top of the podium.

Wouldn’t doubt that, at all.......

Given that, would it really matter if that 3rd or 4th place kid only had to beat 1 kid to make it to state?

I would guess, not.

We should look back at the region results and see if we can come up with the 3rd and 4th place kids that you speak of, what do you think?

4 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

Wouldn’t doubt that, at all.......

Given that, would it really matter if that 3rd or 4th place kid only had to beat 1 kid to make it to state?

I would guess, not.

We should look back at the region results and see if we can come up with the 3rd and 4th place kids that you speak of, what do you think?

No idea T. You do have a legitimate point. Just saying I'm sure it's happened before. Is it fair or unfair. Guess that depends on who you ask. Doesn't seem fair to me that you wrestle 6 times verses 4 to win state. Everyone has an opinion and I'm no expert. Not sure how to fix it either. I do know Ga has multiple state champions and all those schools we've wrestled are tough. One thing for sure TSSAA isn't going to welcome change. Maybe there just turning a blind eye to change or just motivated by what's best for TSSAA and not so much the kids.

TSSAA does nothing that good for the kids, it's always been a bottom line for them. Sadly some coaches from smaller schools complained that they weren't ever going to win a state duals title and that is what's brought all this about. Had nothing to do with the kids but more about their ego of winning a state title. I don't think I mind so much doing it with the duals, but once duals are done individuals should be back to two divisions! Sadly people want quantity instead of quality of wrestling here. I love getting new programs started and everything, but it shouldn't come with watering down the competition to get that. Small school kids can rise to the top also when the public schools were not divided. 

My point, as pointed out above, was simply that it’s not fair to the kids who have to go through a 16 man bracket to qualify while others have a 5 man bracket. There could be a kid from one region who finishes 5th that’s more deserving that someone who has to finish 4th out of 5. I know it’s not the kids fault and I’m not blaming the kids. It’s not their fault. It’s tssaa. They are he ones who make jacked up Region alignments and won’t fix it. 

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

TSSAA does nothing that good for the kids, it's always been a bottom line for them. Sadly some coaches from smaller schools complained that they weren't ever going to win a state duals title and that is what's brought all this about. Had nothing to do with the kids but more about their ego of winning a state title. I don't think I mind so much doing it with the duals, but once duals are done individuals should be back to two divisions! Sadly people want quantity instead of quality of wrestling here. I love getting new programs started and everything, but it shouldn't come with watering down the competition to get that. Small school kids can rise to the top also when the public schools were not divided. 

Wants some more cheese with that wine. 

You honestly think a school with 500 students should compete with a school with 2200 students?

3 hours ago, Bump11 said:

It’s ridiculous. I have family who wrestles in another state and they have 5 divisions, 1A-5A. Each division has 4 regions. And the state tournament is 16 man brackets. AND they use the main arena in the state that seats 20k for the state tournament. There is no duals tournament. There are guys from literally every division, that go D1 and can compete anywhere. Yet we split classes so that the little guys get a chance. I know it’s like comparing apples to oranges. But if other states can churn out fair tournaments and proper seeding and top talent with 5 divisions, why can’t we do it with 3? Are we really that much worse talent wise than everyone else?

Bump, your people happen to be Hoosiers? If so, they DEFINITELY EARN  their way to the HS State Tournament!!!

36 minutes ago, Gerry Bertier said:

You honestly think a school with 500 students should compete with a school with 2200 students?

Individual State tournament should have nothing to do with school size. I don't even remember which school won the '78 tournament, but I remember most of the guys that placed. To me  It's about being the best individual , not school, at your weight at the end of the year.

Edited by inthagap

35 minutes ago, Gerry Bertier said:

Maybe i would actually give you some credence but you couldn't even get it right, it is "do you want some cheese with that WHINE." I have said on these forums I don't mind the split for duals, however the split was done because of ego instead of what is best for the wrestlers. We have a few that have won A/AA small school and it happened because their coaches whined about them having no chance at a state title since they were a small school. And I have yet to see a 500 student school win that either, so maybe we should get a A school champion with 500 and under, a AA with 1000 and under maybe a AAA for teams 1000-1500 and AAAA for those Over it so that everyone has a chance to win duals. 

9 minutes ago, inthagap said:

Individual State tournament should have nothing to do with school size. I don't even remember which school won the '78 tournament, but I remember most of the guys that placed. To me  It's about being the best individual , not school, at your weight at the end of the year.

What does Iowa or Ohio know about wrestling? I mean those guys have multiple divisions and I bet they have pretty dang good reasons for it.

The amount of teams in 1978 is nowhere near the amount of teams that have wrestling now. The aport has grown which is an amazing thing.