Greeneville @ DB

I remember what an old ball coach once said.I didn't like it but it was fact.In short he said it wasn't his job not to score but your job to stop his team from scoring.People can pess and moan but these kids are out there playing a game they love.Fact is, Greeneville could have pulled their starters after the National anthem and won.A kid can get hurt in practice .I know because it happened to one of mine.Stupid to think it's about stats because he already has a D1 ride waiting . It's about a team being as prepared to win as they can.I think our coach is better then any in this  area when it comes to That.Our second and third team plays a bunch and every week they go against a lot better in practice then they will see most Fridays.....

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, darook70 said:

This is embarrassing for DB to lose to a 4A school by such a large margin considering the near unlimited resources that DB has. Go back 20 years and take away the wins against the smaller county schools they played and you have at best a below average team. I’m taliking about schools they should never lose to like Sullivan Central, Volunteer, David Crocket, and Daniel Boone. When they have to play schools their size, especially city schools, they have a really bad record.

You are 100% incorrect. In the past all the larger schools had smaller schools on their schedule. Mostly because of travel expenses etc. Most recently the 6A schools are all playing more schools closer to their size. So in your formula you only want to take away DB's wins over smaller schools but leave all the other 6A schools wins intact. Obviously shows a clear bias on your part. Also, I would argue the resources comment. Just take a look at the Greenville program and tell me they have anything less than the resources needed. They have what is most likely in the top three coaching staffs in Tennessee high school football, a brand new stadium, rabid and loyal fan base, and all the money they need. And before you start don't bring up the size of the student body. It has nothing to do with how good your football team is going to be. (see Alcoa). 

Pryor to 2005 DB played more schools their size being in the Big East conference. In the early 2000's was when DB had their best teams. That was also the era of Coach Watson as DC. He was the motivator and it was his defense that kept DB in tough games long enough for Clark to get his act together and call a few good plays. Loosing coach Watson was the beginning of the downfall of the DB program. So I've given you the reason DB has lost so many games since 2005. I believe DB won the Big East conference something like 11 out of 12 years playing against schools their size. So I don't get what kind of math you're using.

19 minutes ago, barb said:

You can continue to put forth that argument until everybody else moves on, but that doesn't mean you are right or that anyone but Mav and that pot stirrer Victorioussecrets with 5 Coacht posts will agree with you. I believe we now have to get ready for the next victims er...opponents from Hamblen County. Maybe Ballard can rest the whole second half next week at Burley.

Barb I’m sure it’s COWSinflight making another username. Hard for him to understand that Stanton Martin isn’t the best qb in 4a. 

Edited by DevilMan03

39 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Back when those schools came off the schedule, I told my DB friends that those 9 and 10 win seasons were going to be a thing of the past, and so far, that's held true. Having those schools on the schedule was better than having 4 extra open dates, as it gave your starters a couple of quarters of work, then let your backups get plenty of game experience. 

I'll keep saying it. Taking those schools off the schedule has nothing to do with DB not having 9 or 10 win seasons. 

1 minute ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I'll keep saying it. Taking those schools off the schedule has nothing to do with DB not having 9 or 10 win seasons. 

Wouldn't it be crazy if Kingsport had acquired a building that happened to have a football stadium and then found a way to split the school so that DB dropped in classification and yet all of the athletes went to DB.

Not going to happen, but just saying SH and DB are in the same boat.  6A is a death note for teams in our area.  West Ridge will run into the same problem (unless they can ship off 300 kids to East and stay in 5A).  5A is still fairly good but SH and DB would run over most teams fairly easy.  4A this year is a road block for anyone who isn't named Greeneville.

I've heard you say it before and you'll keep saying it.  Kingsport city schools do not care about building a football program like they used to have because they still sell tons of tickets and football is just not that important anymore.  Until everyone is on the same page from pee wee to Friday night in high school, it'll be a repeat.  Same story for SH.  6A is going no where as far as success goes.

16 minutes ago, DevilMan03 said:

Barb I’m sure it’s COWSinflight making another username. Hard for him to understand that Stanton Martin isn’t the best qb in 4a. 

I’ll assure you I’m not. I also think you’re taking what I’m saying the wrong way. I’ve personally seen it from the sideline, a kid getting hurt when the game was well in hand. That changed my approach to it. I’m not saying don’t score  I think some have that wrong  put the backups in and let them score another 36 if they can  

In my opinion a healthy Greeneville is hands down the favorite to win 4A again. Ballard is what makes them go round and the kid has an awesome opportunity and ahead of him at West Point. Why leave him in? He has an X on his back and teams that are getting throttled will often times take cheap shots at the star. I’m not sure how good the backup QB is, but I’m sure there is a significant drop off. Would be devastating to not only the kid, but potentially the team as well.

It’s not an attack on your team at all, just a difference of opinion.  Greeneville will dominate 4A and I honestly don’t see a loss anywhere on the schedule. Good luck going forward. 

3 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Wouldn't it be crazy if Kingsport had acquired a building that happened to have a football stadium and then found a way to split the school so that DB dropped in classification and yet all of the athletes went to DB.

Not going to happen, but just saying SH and DB are in the same boat.  6A is a death note for teams in our area.  West Ridge will run into the same problem (unless they can ship off 300 kids to East and stay in 5A).  5A is still fairly good but SH and DB would run over most teams fairly easy.  4A this year is a road block for anyone who isn't named Greeneville.

I've heard you say it before and you'll keep saying it.  Kingsport city schools do not care about building a football program like they used to have because they still sell tons of tickets and football is just not that important anymore.  Until everyone is on the same page from pee wee to Friday night in high school, it'll be a repeat.  Same story for SH.  6A is going no where as far as success goes.

That building your thinking of (North) is going to be the new middle school combining Sevier and Robinson. And like you said, they don't think enough of the football program to even consider doing anything like that. The problems are the same at SH and DB. They hired average head coaches and then let them hire all their friends as assistants. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eers said:

I’ll assure you I’m not. I also think you’re taking what I’m saying the wrong way. I’ve personally seen it from the sideline, a kid getting hurt when the game was well in hand. That changed my approach to it. I’m not saying don’t score  I think some have that wrong  put the backups in and let them score another 36 if they can  

In my opinion a healthy Greeneville is hands down the favorite to win 4A again. Ballard is what makes them go round and the kid has an awesome opportunity and ahead of him at West Point. Why leave him in? He has an X on his back and teams that are getting throttled will often times take cheap shots at the star. I’m not sure how good the backup QB is, but I’m sure there is a significant drop off. Would be devastating to not only the kid, but potentially the team as well.

It’s not an attack on your team at all, just a difference of opinion.  Greeneville will dominate 4A and I honestly don’t see a loss anywhere on the schedule. Good luck going forward. 

Greeneville goes undefeated that we can both agree on. I as well don’t believe Dobyns-Bennett is that bad. Just Greeneville is that good! Look at their preseason scrimmages. Especially with Betsy. 

1 minute ago, WaCoJaCo said:

That building your thinking of (North) is going to be the new middle school combining Sevier and Robinson. And like you said, they don't think enough of the football program to even consider doing anything like that. The problems are the same at SH and DB. They hired average head coaches and then let them hire all their friends as assistants. 

Imo if the Greeneville Coaching staff was at Db last year they would have had a chance at a state title. 

20 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Sure it does. That was an extra 4 wins built in, and I'm not slighting DB for playing them, because they were conference opponents. I told those guys that they were trading 4 sure wins for games against teams (especially Murville) that could beat you on any given night. In fact, I applaud DB for stepping out to schedule Alcoa and Greeneville. They could just as easily kept THS, Volunteer, etc. as I'm sure those schools would have liked to have kept DB for the gate and concession money. 

5 minutes ago, eers said:

How many times have you seen a player get hurt because they left him in the game to long? It's very rare. I'd say there have been more players hurt stepping off the bus than there have been by staying in a game to long.

• Upvote 1