TSSAA MID CYCLE ENROLLMENTS

Southtowner

2 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Current enrollment! Next year, the projection is 250 or so...easily within the 1A window. However, they may choose to stay 2A the next two years. Just not sure.

Enrollment totals submitted to the state office this month will be used to determine which schools have had a change in enrollment of 20% or greater since the last time enrollment was reported in September 2016. For each of those schools, the state office will determine if the increase or decrease causes the school’s new enrollment to fall outside the school’s current classification enrollment range in each classified sport. Schools with an increase significant enough to move up a class will be placed in the new class and assigned an appropriate section/region/district by the state office. Schools with an decrease significant enough to down a class have the option of changing classes but are not required to do so.

The enrollment totals received at this time from independent schools currently participating in Division I will be used to classify those schools for Division II during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years.

8 minutes ago, RTD said:

If that happens then who would replace Cascade

Nobody. One of those Regions (assuming Eagleville drops of course), Region 4-2A or Region 5-2A would have just 5 total teams. Just a thought, they could move Cascade over with Community and Forrest in that scenario, leaving Region 5 with 6 teams and Region 4 with just 5 teams. Not sure what their process is for that though? Seems natural for Cascade and would be a welcomed change, away from a non-traditional crazy geographical situation they are currently in.

What I do not understand is this:  Why is TSSAA taking mid cycle enrollment figures if they are not going to adjust the classification scale at the mid cycle 2 year point.  It makes sense to go ahead and balance out the state.  With the remaining 5 privates out  (1 in 1A, 3 in 2A, and 1 in 5A) and a few moving because of the 20% rule.  It would make sense to go ahead and let the schools decide if they want to play up a class or stay in current class and then balance out the state.  with how it stands now, we will have some schools playing in a lower classification with a higher enrollment than the scale dictates and vice versa.  We will have about 4 schools playing 5A ball with 6A enrollment.  It trickles down into the lower classes as well.  If they do not balance out the state, there is a chance some schools could miss out on playoff possibilities if they are playing in a higher class than the class that their enrollment dictates.  Am I nuts for thinking this?

Edited by ocac

Just now, ocac said:

What I do not understand is this:  Why is TSSAA taking mid cycle enrollment figures if they are not going to adjust the classification scale at the mid cycle 2 year point.  It makes sense to go ahead and balance out the state.  With the remaining 5 privates (1 in 1A, 3 in 2A, and 1 in 5A) and a few moving because of the 20% rule.  It would make sense to go ahead and let the schools decide if they want to play up a class or stay in current class and then balance out the state.  with how it stands now, we will have some schools playing in a lower classification with a higher enrollment than the scale dictates and vice versa.  We will have about 4 schools playing 5A ball with 6A enrollment.  It trickles down into the lower classes as well.  If they do not balance out the state, there is a chance some schools could miss out on playoff possibilities if they are playing in a higher class than the class that there enrollment dictates.  Am I nuts for thinking this?

They do this every 2 years.  It's the middle of the 4 year classification period.  If one has increased or decreased significantly enough by said rules then that's the only movement allowed. Otherwise we would just reclassify every 2 years instead of 4.

3 minutes ago, ocac said:

What I do not understand is this:  Why is TSSAA taking mid cycle enrollment figures if they are not going to adjust the classification scale at the mid cycle 2 year point.  It makes sense to go ahead and balance out the state.  With the remaining 5 privates (1 in 1A, 3 in 2A, and 1 in 5A) and a few moving because of the 20% rule.  It would make sense to go ahead and let the schools decide if they want to play up a class or stay in current class and then balance out the state.  with how it stands now, we will have some schools playing in a lower classification with a higher enrollment than the scale dictates and vice versa.  We will have about 4 schools playing 5A ball with 6A enrollment.  It trickles down into the lower classes as well.  If they do not balance out the state, there is a chance some schools could miss out on playoff possibilities if they are playing in a higher class than the class that there enrollment dictates.  Am I nuts for thinking this?

Good points! I’m exhausted trying to figure out what in the world the TSSAA is thinking or doing?! It’s the same organization that continues to use non-Region games/overall record for tiebreaker scenarios, so fairness and balance is not one of their strong suits!!

15 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

They do this every 2 years.  It's the middle of the 4 year classification period.  If one has increased or decreased significantly enough by said rules then that's the only movement allowed. Otherwise we would just reclassify every 2 years instead of 4.

Just a couple of examples:  McMinn County has an enrollment of 1407 and will be required to play 6A ball & Gallatin has an enrollment of 1621 and will get to play 5A ball.  I understand the 4 year process, but it only makes sense to adjust at the 2 year point.  Teams schedule on 2 year contracts.  Do the same with classification.

Edited by ocac

Let me say this:  I have absolutely nothing to do with McMiinn County, or any other school I have mentioned on here.  I actually live across the state from McMinn.  I just like to see what is right and makes sense.  There are 7 schools with higher enrollment #s than McMinn County has that will get to play 5A ball in '19, while McMinn will be in 6A.  Does that make sense?  I am sure it is the same in lower classes as well.  Maybe not as prevalent as 5A or 6A.  It would require absolutely no effort or actual thinking to take place to go ahead and adjust the scale now at the 2 year point. As my wife says (who is a math teacher), #s don't lie.  TSSAA has already alerted all the schools in the state to not schedule yet because of possible enrollment changes.  

4 minutes ago, ocac said:

Let me say this:  I have absolutely nothing to do with McMiinn County, or any other school I have mentioned on here.  I actually live across the state from McMinn.  I just like to see what is right and makes sense.  There are 7 schools with higher enrollment #s than McMinn County has that will get to play 5A ball in '19, while McMinn will be in 6A.  Does that make sense?  I am sure it is the same in lower classes as well.  Maybe not as prevalent as 5A or 6A.  It would require absolutely no effort or actual thinking to take place to go ahead and adjust the scale now at the 2 year point. As my wife says (who is a math teacher), #s don't lie.  TSSAA has already alerted all the schools in the state to not schedule yet because of possible enrollment changes.  

I understand what you're saying and reclassification every 2 years wouldn't be much of a big deal.  But for the reasons you're stating one can use the same argument for reclassification every year as well.

TSSAA has informed schools to hold off on signing contracts because of the possibility of movement on those that had a 20% increase or decrease that would cause them to be moved out of the class they're in.

25 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I understand the 2 year contract.  And that's because no one can move in that 2 year period. 

Why not reclassify every year then?  Schools increase and decrease every year. 

2-year is the absolute minimum obviously! You have to be able to play home-and-home in Region games and Non-Region games for that matter. Common sense. Changing to a 2-year cycle would be more fair as quick as many of these school districts are growing, but such is life I guess? Obviously, an annual re-classification is laughable for the scheduling purposes and balance mentioned above.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Nobody. One of those Regions (assuming Eagleville drops of course), Region 4-2A or Region 5-2A would have just 5 total teams. Just a thought, they could move Cascade over with Community and Forrest in that scenario, leaving Region 5 with 6 teams and Region 4 with just 5 teams. Not sure what their process is for that though? Seems natural for Cascade and would be a welcomed change, away from a non-traditional crazy geographical situation they are currently in.

That's not fair to teams in the region with Cascade TC and Watertown already have a hard time scheduling games that's why TC at 2a are having t schedule teams that are 5a and 6a and make 2-3 hour road trips an hour drive for a region game for Cascade isn't that bad compared to travel of the other team's would have to have to schedule another non region game take Trousdale for example they are having to look at teams in Ky they have even had to play team from Alabama because teams close to Trousdale refuse to play them and the teams from farther away will not travel to TC so, in my opinion, only reason Cascade wants to move is because they can't compete in the region they are in now or if they move another team should be forced to take Cascade place in the region