West Tn Class A

Intense

11 minutes ago, BullShark said:

Saw an incredibly exciting game tonight USJ v TCA.  TCA held on for a 61-60 win as USJ's last shot fell short.  Through 3.5 quarters, I was penciling in TCA to Murfreesboro.  They are quick, athletic and long.  Great defense!  However, the last 3 minutes were a disaster for TCA ( eerily similar to the Peabody game).  Ill advised shots when they should have run clock.   Makes me second guess them making the state tournament. If #4 is on like she was tonight, they have a chance; if she is off and they finish like they did tonight, then probably not.  anyone else see the game?

If Wilkins has wits about him he will faceguard Macey Lee and Sally Howell and tell whoever is guarding them to stay put and don't leave them for help side defense same way we did Greenfield with Moore and Darby and should definitely create havoc for them. If you get beat with players other than Lee and Howell or Darby and Moore you just get beat. One thing GC does have consistent is shutdown defenders. 

I thought Wilkins over coached  the last game GC and TCA played and played way too conservative. First time I can ever say that.  TCA has the best player on the court, but GC was the more complete team. GC never aggressively attacked the basket, but when they did they got good results.  Not sure what to make of the new 8th graders that TCA has. The depth def helps.  Intense said they played well tonight in a "hostile environment" and they did okay,  but they were in a "hostile environment" at home. They looked okay if they were who I thought they were.  Couldn't be near as hostile environment as a district tourney at GC or regional tourney  at Elam Center will be, but we will see. IMO, they cake walk next year through D2A next year and play for a gold ball, but this year remains to be seen.

7 minutes ago, BullShark said:

I thought Wilkins over coached  the last game GC and TCA played and played way too conservative. First time I can ever say that.  TCA has the best player on the court, but GC was the more complete team. GC never aggressively attacked the basket, but when they did they got good results.  Not sure what to make of the new 8th graders that TCA has. The depth def helps.  Intense said they played well tonight in a "hostile environment" and they did okay,  but they were in a "hostile environment" at home. They looked okay if they were who I thought they were.  Couldn't be near as hostile environment as a district tourney at GC or regional tourney  at Elam Center will be, but we will see. IMO, they cake walk next year through D2A next year and play for a gold ball, but this year remains to be seen.

It was the 8th graders first real game.  The environment was much more pressurized than the Halls or Madison game when the game was never in doubt.  I thought they handled the pressure really well.  The younger Lee girl scored a basketb and didn’t turn it over.  The younger Goehring girl had a toe injury and was limited but did play well with no turnovers.  They make a huge difference in depth.  Doesn’t matter whether it’s home or away when TCA plays USJ....it’s hostile!

7 hours ago, BullShark said:

Yeah they looked like we're playing in 12 inches of sand instead of a hard floor and trying to play a slow game and run the clock out. They have sped it up since then and been in more attack mode  and hopefully they play like they did at our Christmas Tournament when we played Sikeston, Dyersburg and South Side. That was the best I have seen them play. That was after we lost to Dyersburg at their place. 

10 hours ago, BullShark said:

Saw an incredibly exciting game tonight USJ v TCA.  TCA held on for a 61-60 win as USJ's last shot fell short.  Through 3.5 quarters, I was penciling in TCA to Murfreesboro.  They are quick, athletic and long.  Great defense!  However, the last 3 minutes were a disaster for TCA ( eerily similar to the Peabody game).  Ill advised shots when they should have run clock.   Makes me second guess them making the state tournament. If #4 is on like she was tonight, they have a chance; if she is off and they finish like they did tonight, then probably not.  anyone else see the game?

Yep two well coached teams that don't like each other going at it. Did USJ ever lead. Jones girl from USJ is a baller. Took charge down the stretch. Almost pulled it off. Lee may be the best shooter I've seen this season. Great crowd, tournament atmosphere. Women's basketball is the 2nd most popular sport behind football in West Tennessee!

49 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Yep two well coached teams that don't like each other going at it. Did USJ ever lead. Jones girl from USJ is a baller. Took charge down the stretch. Almost pulled it off. Lee may be the best shooter I've seen this season. Great crowd, tournament atmosphere. Women's basketball is the 2nd most popular sport behind football in West Tennessee!

USJ never led.

15 hours ago, Intense said:

TCA just beat USJ girls 61-60 tonight.  USJ girls are the 2nd ranked team in D2A.  The Jones girls from USJ are the real deal.  Anna Jones is their older sister who is playing at MTSU.  Macy Lee had 32 points, 9 reb and 5 assists for TCA.  I don’t think folks believe TCA is legitimate and it seems that most people think the Gibson Co win was a fluke.  I think the slip up against Peabody is why fans are not sure about TCA.  Two 8th graders played really well tonight In a very hostile environment.  Huge crowd tonight,as always, in this big rivalry.  Peabody comes to the Lions Den next Friday night.  Will TCA respond?

Should be a good game! 32 min of pressure from Peabody can TCA handle it? Didn’t last time. TCA and GC as I have said before are supposed to win district this yr, but I don’t imagine Peabody gonna just give it to them. Btw 20+ turnovers for TCA last time vs PHS what I was told, and did you notice the foul trouble Peabody had from their best players sitting on the bench? Just messin with you Intense from an earlier post you had made, it’ll be a good game no matter who wins! Good luck to both teams! 

14 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

If Wilkins has wits about him he will faceguard Macey Lee and Sally Howell and tell whoever is guarding them to stay put and don't leave them for help side defense same way we did Greenfield with Moore and Darby and should definitely create havoc for them. If you get beat with players other than Lee and Howell or Darby and Moore you just get beat. One thing GC does have consistent is shutdown defenders. 

Pioneer42 You kill me. If you think Tess and Chloe are all that Greenfield has you have your head in the sand. The first time we played you can forget that game. Eddie Darby was in a cast and didn't play, she may be the best freshman in west Tennessee.  When we play next time Gibson County has depth but Greenfield will have the 3 best players on the floor and its hard to double team 3 players. Greenfield has a solid 5 players now so buckle your seat belt.

3 minutes ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Pioneer42 You kill me. If you think Tess and Chloe are all that Greenfield has you have your head in the sand. The first time we played you can forget that game. Eddie Darby was in a cast and didn't play, she may be the best freshman in west Tennessee.  When we play next time Gibson County has depth but Greenfield will have the 3 best players on the floor and its hard to double team 3 players. Greenfield has a solid 5 players now so buckle your seat belt.

I didn't say double team any of them. I said faceguard them and if somebody else gets beat on our team for the one's that are guarding Darby and Moore to stay put. Naturally others can play helpside defense, but it is not a true double team. We didn't double team anyone last team we played Greenfield. 

You didn't have to double team Greenfield because we had two freshman playing who had never played and no Edie Darby, you couldn't have caught us at a better time. I told you before the game that GC should win but the injury to Edie gave a lot of girls playing time the next 10 games and helped us develop some girls. Now Edie is back and you had better guard Reese Biggs and Caroline Crouse now or they will beat you. I just hope you can take care of TCA because they are getting better every game & Trenton could beat anybody. I'd love to see GC and Greenfield in Region Championship and then State Championship. That would be awesome for west Tennessee.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

17 hours ago, Intense said:

TCA just beat USJ girls 61-60 tonight.  USJ girls are the 2nd ranked team in D2A.  The Jones girls from USJ are the real deal.  Anna Jones is their older sister who is playing at MTSU.  Macy Lee had 32 points, 9 reb and 5 assists for TCA.  I don’t think folks believe TCA is legitimate and it seems that most people think the Gibson Co win was a fluke.  I think the slip up against Peabody is why fans are not sure about TCA.  Two 8th graders played really well tonight In a very hostile environment.  Huge crowd tonight,as always, in this big rivalry.  Peabody comes to the Lions Den next Friday night.  Will TCA respond?

Congrats to TCA that was a long overdue rivalry win for them. They have good play from every position. I think the 8th graders moving up ( and they are 2 good ones) will help with their depth, kinda like with Greenfield last year. What concerns me with them is the tendency to blow big leads. Is this a coaching problem or girls just not having any ball sense. Up big in the second half and rushing down shooting as fast as you can doesn’t make sense.Im not saying stall for 6 minutes but work the ball and get easy baskets. It’s not the first time they have done that this year. But the girls are playing great. They are better than Peabody but Peabody is just a bad matchup for TCA. And I think Peabody wins the coaching matchup in this one

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

You didn't have to double team Greenfield because we had two freshman playing who had never played and no Edie Darby, you couldn't have caught us at a better time. I told you before the game that GC should win but the injury to Edie gave a lot of girls playing time the next 10 games and helped us develop some girls. Now Edie is back and you had better guard Reese Biggs and Caroline Crouse now or they will beat you. I just hope you can take care of TCA because they are getting better every game & Trenton could beat anybody. I'd love to see GC and Greenfield in Region Championship and then State Championship. That would be awesome for west Tennessee.

I made a comment to play TCA defensively faceguarding TCA like we did Greenfield and you backfired about Greenfield. TCA is our next meaningful opponent so they do have our attention I will assure you as does Peabody and whoever else. And for the record, GC will guard whoever Greenfield steps out there I will assure you. They won't be anyone left alone.