Oak Ridge ( 0 - 1 ) at Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett ( 1 - 0 )

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

It does suck, for sure. Just about every team besides Maryville and Alcoa have gone through it in the past 20 years though ha. What really strikes me as odd though is that the kids who are JR's now went undefeated as freshmen. That is odd to me. Obviously a lot can change in 2 years time.

Several members of that undefeated Freshman team had little to no varsity play time last year, and about the same so far this year.   Time will tell.  RWR!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Looking at your schedule there's a real good possibility you all might be 0-5 going into the the Clinton game. I wasn't joking when I ask what the fans reaction would be if they went 4-6 but after last night 2-8 might be a stretch.

I’m not sure any win is a given this season. Man, that hurts me to say, but it’s true. I never expected it to be this bad. You worry about the mentality of 15,16,17 year old kids after a start to the season like this that wasn’t expected. OR just isn’t used to having seasons like this. We’ve had 5 (I think) losing seasons since the 1943 season. Oh well, hopefully we can get a W against CC. 

Edited by SweetScience

9 hours ago, SweetScience said:

It does suck, for sure. Just about every team besides Maryville and Alcoa have gone through it in the past 20 years though ha. What really strikes me as odd though is that the kids who are JR's now went undefeated as freshmen. That is odd to me. Obviously a lot can change in 2 years time.

One thing that helped the Freshman team that may hurt them now is that they had several kids already topped out in puberty.  I mean, a 5'7" kid can do well against 9th graders but are small for varsity.  I have nothing but respect for Gaddis and All the players I know like and respect him.  He's good to the players.  However...and this is  basically a vent...I feel that some talented kids were lost via the rms program that could be helping the team today .  The boy who was QB then was treated so badly that he never would play that position again .  He is now 6'4".  I can think of 2 others who were fast and athletic that quit after middle school.  I wish the best for Gaddis and this team.  I do think they will settle down and do better, but I wish potential players weren't being run off at the middle school level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORcats said:

One thing that helped the Freshman team that may hurt them now is that they had several kids already topped out in puberty.  I mean, a 5'7" kid can do well against 9th graders but are small for varsity.  I have nothing but respect for Gaddis and All the players I know like and respect him.  He's good to the players.  However...and this is  basically a vent...I feel that some talented kids were lost via the rms program that could be helping the team today .  The boy who was QB then was treated so badly that he never would play that position again .  He is now 6'4".  I can think of 2 others who were fast and athletic that quit after middle school.  I wish the best for Gaddis and this team.  I do think they will settle down and do better, but I wish potential players weren't being run off at the middle school level. 

I remember that Robertsville QB. Seems his last name was Reynold’s, if I’m not mistaken? He was a pretty dang good sized kid then and I was excited at the prospect of him being the future QB @ ORHS after going to watch the Rams play a few times that season. Without getting into fine details, what the heck happened there?

Edited by SweetScience

Im thinking of someone else, but it may be the same story.  Just no encouragement  or ever giving credit.  Putting them down to other kids. I remember the best player being on the sidelines for "punishment" for bs stuff , although that player is still playing (#21).  Cost several games in a year they never won any.  The QB  was only 12 and had been a RB prior. .  He was new at QB, young, and small but he had a good arm.  I think making these kids love the game at that age is huge.  THEN maybe they'll keep playing.  An occasional "good job" can make all the difference.  Those kids never got it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ORcats said:

Im thinking of someone else, but it may be the same story.  Just no encouragement  or ever giving credit.  Putting them down to other kids. I remember the best player being on the sidelines for "punishment" for bs stuff , although that player is still playing (#21).  Cost several games in a year they never won any.  The QB  was only 12 and had been a RB prior. .  He was new at QB, young, and small but he had a good arm.  I think making these kids love the game at that age is huge.  THEN maybe they'll keep playing.  An occasional "good job" can make all the difference.  Those kids never got it. 

Are you saying the RMS staff was to blame for that or the OR staff ?

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Are you saying the RMS staff was to blame for that or the OR staff ?

This was all at rms.  think the OR staff is good to the players.  At least,  I never hear any complaints.  The kids like and respect Gaddis and that tells me all I need to know about the way he treats them.   So, yeah, My point is I think the middle school is costing us players.  I've quit paying attention there so it may or may not be better now. This was all maybe 3 or 4 years ago. 

Edited by ORcats

12 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Come on man. 

Who is really going to challenge DB in 6A/R1?    Bearden (0-2)??   Farragut and Hardin Valley both 1-1??    Science Hill (0-2)??       Other than Jeff Co (2-0) I just do not see R1 looking that great this year.    DB will probably lose to Alcoa in the last game, but what if they ran the rest of the table and ended up 9-1?

2 hours ago, rolltriberoll said:

Some of you folks are starting to get a little carried away with DB being 2-0. Remember, this is a really weak OR squad, and TH High isn't very good. 

Believe me when I tell you that Farragut, HVA and Bearden will all be very tough matchups. 

I don't know what kind of offensive line any of the remaining teams have but If DB runs up against a good one they will get burned. The pass rush is the only pass defense they have. Stop the rush and there's wide open receivers all over the field.