Clinton

Opie Shaggnasty

28 minutes ago, Pinocchio007 said:

Questions is does Admin want to be successful? It looks like a strong fan base wants someone in there that can change it around quickly. That can be good and bad. 

Also, why would Ellison be the Front-Runner? Was he not the interim at one point? Also, Head Coach at Powell for a few years? It seems he was unsuccessful at Powell  

Considering where things were when he started at Powell, I think Ellison did pretty well. That program was run into the ground by his predecessor, who was there for less than a year. That was rock-bottom for the Powell program when Ellison came in. He won a single regular season game in 2015 and again in 2016. They actually got to 5-5 in 2017, and they beat two playoff teams in the process (Halls and Lenoir City). Hard to say what the ceiling was for Powell had Ellison stayed longer, but he certainly pulled them out of the tailspin that they were in at the time. He absolutely deserves some credit for that.

Clinton could certainly do worse. There's talent in Anderson County, and the right HC could have some success there, although it will be a tall order as long as OR and AC are playing well. Tough to keep the kids close to home when you're sandwiched between two programs that are having a lot more success.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Considering where things were when he started at Powell, I think Ellison did pretty well. That program was run into the ground by his predecessor, who was there for less than a year. That was rock-bottom for the Powell program when Ellison came in. He won a single regular season game in 2015 and again in 2016. They actually got to 5-5 in 2017, and they beat two playoff teams in the process (Halls and Lenoir City). Hard to say what the ceiling was for Powell had Ellison stayed longer, but he certainly pulled them out of the tailspin that they were in at the time. He absolutely deserves some credit for that.

Clinton could certainly do worse. There's talent in Anderson County, and the right HC could have some success there, although it will be a tall order as long as OR and AC are playing well. Tough to keep the kids close to home when you're sandwiched between two programs that are having a lot more success.

Agree. Rodney is a good football coach and a good guy, to boot.  The guy from Chattanooga turned the Powell program in to a complete dumpster fire in less than a year, and his arrogant holier than thou attitude just completely turned off pretty much everybody that had been working in support of the program for years.  Couldn't have been a worse situation for Rodney to step in to.  

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I think Ellison really helped rebuild the foundation at Powell which helped the next coach in line.  I just don't understand why someone steps down after going through that hard work and would try it again in an even tougher situation.

I was not tuned in to what was going on behind the scenes at the time, but when it became apparent that Matt Lowe was available and interested in returning, I think that greased the skids just a tad. HTV knows a lot more about that situation that I do.

24 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Nut, was the Chattanooga guy the one that made the players stand behind the fence on the sideline?

Bingo. Packer had them on against Halls that year, and I remember at one point during the game that one of the cameramen focused on that scene. Led to an interesting on-air discussion between Packer and Austin Price.

He was suspended the following week and resigned a couple of weeks later.

Powell pushed Coach Ellison out to bring in Matt Lowe. Coach Ellison coached at Oak Ridge this season and he is a first class coach and a good guy and I was pleased to get to meet him. I really hope they could find him a teaching position here and he could stay at OR, but if not and he gets the Clinton job, that will be a good choice for the Dragons and he will do a great job.

42 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Powell pushed Coach Ellison out to bring in Matt Lowe. Coach Ellison coached at Oak Ridge this season and he is a first class coach and a good guy and I was pleased to get to meet him. I really hope they could find him a teaching position here and he could stay at OR, but if not and he gets the Clinton job, that will be a good choice for the Dragons and he will do a great job.

Yep. Rodney still teaches at Powell.  He coached at Catholic last year and then at Oak Ridge this past year.  He and his family live in Oak Ridge - his daughter graduated from ORHS and was a basketball player there, and his son either has or is going to graduate soon.  

He has a history with Clinton, and a positive one as the OC.  He had told me at one time that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be a head coach again, but if he has had a change in heart there then I hope he gets the opportunity at Clinton, if he wants to pursue it.  Good guy and a very good offensive minded football coach.  Clinton would do well to hire him, IMO.  

49 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Bingo. Packer had them on against Halls that year, and I remember at one point during the game that one of the cameramen focused on that scene. Led to an interesting on-air discussion between Packer and Austin Price.

He was suspended the following week and resigned a couple of weeks later.

yes, I remember watching that on tv. Very bizarre.  Never seen anything quite like that. 

3 winning seasons in 18 years is pretty tough.  I would say that not many programs in East Tennessee have a similar record.  This job will be hard to fill.  Either someone with deep ties will have to come back to Clinton, or the Administration is going to have to take a new approach.  Most coaches will look elsewhere because of the lack of success that different coaches have had.  McKamey was a hometown guy who had pretty good success elsewhere.  I agree that the yelling and lack of control may have been a huge part of the equation in letting him go, but It makes a prospective coach wonder.  Still...I think if the administration is willing to look a little outside the box, they could find someone who loves the kids and the community.  Discipline, Effort, and Improvement should be the measuring stick for the new coach who decides to take on this job. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:53 AM, BeachHound said:

Elaborate more???

The AD missed several football games for no apparent reason. He has absolutely botched several hired (baseball,football,soccer). Just has no clue what he is doing. It's like UT, when you get a guy that actually cares about the athletic department instead of collecting a check then you will become more successful as a program. Collette is just the AD because he failed as the baseball coach and they had no place else to put him as a tenured teacher.  

2 minutes ago, DragonVol said:

The AD missed several football games for no apparent reason. He has absolutely botched several hired (baseball,football,soccer). Just has no clue what he is doing. It's like UT, when you get a guy that actually cares about the athletic department instead of collecting a check then you will become more successful as a program. Collette is just the AD because he failed as the baseball coach and they had no place else to put him as a tenured teacher.  

AD is not a paid position in Knox Co.  I don't know about Clinton.  Is the guy a teacher or a principal?