South Pittsburg vs Red Bank (Grider against this Brown man)

Roy Dillard

56 minutes ago, Wedontshakehands said:

Just explaining facts! I didn't say a thing about "small town." It is a great atmosphere at SP, and the town support is what makes that! The community support for RedBank has been divided by there being more schools in the area. As to the enrollment numbers, dressing around 60 players with a 260 enrollment is a testament to your coaches and separates you from most every 1A program in the state. RedBank dresses around 60 with their 800ish enrollment. Because of the tradition of your program, and the lack of other choices, your kids go to South Pittsburg and your town supports the school that is there. Many people that would support RedBank support Signal Mtn, Chattanooga Christian, Notre Dame, Baylor, McCallie, Boyd Buchanan, among many others. There are 17 public high schools in Hamilton Co. There are 5 major private schools that play football in Hamilton Co. These are facts. I would assume it is some of the reason why the crowd size is not what it used to be. When(early90's-early 2000's) there was not a Signal Mtn. High School, Chattanooga Christian didn't play football, T$$AA made the privates follow the same rules, RedBank had an enrollment of around 1500, played in the highest classification(5A), and generally had around 2000 people at every home game.

If you still had Sissy Mtn folks, Red Bank would still be 5A or 6A as well. 

53 minutes ago, Wedontshakehands said:

Just explaining facts! I didn't say a thing about "small town." It is a great atmosphere at SP, and the town support is what makes that! The community support for RedBank has been divided by there being more schools in the area. As to the enrollment numbers, dressing around 60 players with a 260 enrollment is a testament to your coaches and separates you from most every 1A program in the state. RedBank dresses around 60 with their 800ish enrollment. Because of the tradition of your program, and the lack of other choices, your kids go to South Pittsburg and your town supports the school that is there. Many people that would support RedBank support Signal Mtn, Chattanooga Christian, Notre Dame, Baylor, McCallie, Boyd Buchanan, among many others. There are 17 public high schools in Hamilton Co. There are 5 major private schools that play football in Hamilton Co. These are facts. I would assume it is some of the reason why the crowd size is not what it used to be. When(early90's-early 2000's) there was not a Signal Mtn. High School, Chattanooga Christian didn't play football, T$$AA made the privates follow the same rules, RedBank had an enrollment of around 1500, played in the highest classification(5A), and generally had around 2000 people at every home game.

Way off on who I am. Other side of the state from South Pitt, and not busting your chops for attendance at one particular game at all. Just was amazed at the reasoning for poor attendance in general, when "my" school has less than 500 students, in a town with no red light, and regularly has close to the amount of fans at a game that you say they used to have when it was good at Red Bank.

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Way off on who I am. Other side of the state from South Pitt, and not busting your chops for attendance at one particular game at all. Just was amazed at the reasoning for poor attendance in general, when "my" school has less than 500 students, in a town with no red light, and regularly has close to the amount of fans at a game that you say they used to have when it was good at Red Bank.

Do the students and people of "your" town have 5 private schools or 16 other high schools to choose to support? Or is there one high school that every kid goes to, all the people who still live in town went to, and the town closes on Fridays because everyone is already at the game?

Edited by Wedontshakehands

25 minutes ago, Wedontshakehands said:

Do the students and people of "your" town have 5 private schools or 16 other high schools to choose to support? Or is there one high school that every kid goes to, all the people who still live in town went to, and the town closes on Fridays because everyone is already at the game?

The point made above is what I and a few other posters were discussing when you interjected your thoughts and excuses about why Red Bank's attendance was down. Why do you keep trying to engage me in almost  argumentative fashion when we are making the same point, just on different sides of the equation? I couldn't care less why people who live in Red Bank had rather go disco dancing, to a bingo tournament, or a lawn and garden show than to a high school football game on Friday night... I also don't care if you think that we small town people only have that option for entertainment.

I'm completely done with this redundant back and forth discussion... if you want to argue with me about something, don't agree with everything I think.

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Many well thought out points about Signal Mountain, Soddy Daisy, East Hamilton, and the "many private schools" in the area siphoning off kids, parents, and their monetary support. You were very articulate in making your point, and it was evident that you (as an insider) know the area, the school, and the dynamic's of why the crowd size has dwindled for Red Bank. Allow me to apologize for blindly (wrongly) including y'all in what just may be a generalization that has no merit... that being the old "small towns are great" reply from all us hicks (guilty by association) that don't understand both sides of the equation. Just one small detail remaining like humming a song all day that I don't really like...   RB has 798. How does that fit?

That is how South Pitt or any other small town with one small school fits. The town supports the school. The alumni still come to games, kids grow up in the tradition and want to go to school there, all the businesses donate, lots more community pride. Sure there are more students at RedBank. Probably more single parents who may be working instead of coming to the game. Also I'm sure the RedBank student section was way less populated. More choices of things to do in a larger city. There are many reasons that contribute! 

I apologize for sounding argumentative. Not my intentions! Seems RedBank gets the same critique from many opponents, "their crowd is small...", just trying to explain my opinion of why! I would like nothing more than to see the stadium packed every game to support the kids and their hard work!

1 hour ago, Wedontshakehands said:

That is how South Pitt or any other small town with one small school fits. The town supports the school. The alumni still come to games, kids grow up in the tradition and want to go to school there, all the businesses donate, lots more community pride. Sure there are more students at RedBank. Probably more single parents who may be working instead of coming to the game. Also I'm sure the RedBank student section was way less populated. More choices of things to do in a larger city. There are many reasons that contribute! 

I apologize for sounding argumentative. Not my intentions! Seems RedBank gets the same critique from many opponents, "their crowd is small...", just trying to explain my opinion of why! I would like nothing more than to see the stadium packed every game to support the kids and their hard work!

By the way, welcome to the 'T... you and I may become friends after all.

6 minutes ago, Guidance1812 said:

I got one question , was there a game? It’s hard to tell with all the posts.. 

if so what was the score, if not , what is the short version of why there was no game

No game... lightning... kids had travel obligations Saturday... Red Bank wouldn't play Sunday... schedule conflicts rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, Guidance1812 said:

I got one question , was there a game? It’s hard to tell with all the posts.. 

if so what was the score, if not , what is the short version of why there was no game

The super short version I heard from someone close to the situation: The head of the TSSAA officials was at the game. He wouldn't let the teams on the field as long as lightning was visible. Even if it was heat lightning that was moving away. 

It couldn't be reschedule due to other commitments by both schools.

3 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

No game... lightning... kids had travel obligations Saturday... Red Bank wouldn't play Sunday... schedule conflicts rest of the season.

Thanks, but about that lightning, we ain’t had a storm last more than twenty minutes, in two months, ?????? Last i checked, we all under a dome of high pressure, 

Edited by Guidance1812