Week 6: Upperman @ Oneida

crow

4 hours ago, JustABlueFan said:

For the record, I do not like Upperman, and I'm an LA fan. I root against them just like they root against us. That being said, a few notes. Offense: QB is good and durable, however he is more apt to beat you with his feet than his arm. They will run more often than throw. They will take their chances at least 2-3 times on what I remember as a 26 Trap (old days). The kid who runs it is a soph WR. Skinny little guy but fast. They sprung it on us for a TD. Offensive line is stout and tough. Not particularly quick but disciplined in the trenches. They get away with holds better than any o-line I've seen this year.  WRs are quick, decent, cocky. RBs are effective as a committee. Nothing earth shattering but get the job done. In short, it all revolves around their QB.  Defense: best defense you will play all year. Front 7 will shut down the run. So you'll beat them with your arm, right?  We (LA) have one of the best QB/WRs in the state. We got 10 points. Couldn't get in any rhythm. The quick outs were there but they were quick to close. Just enough penetration to limit anything deep. Other notes: make sure you have a good punter and make the field long. Our punter did a fantastic job. If your kicker has a leg, limiting the returns helped for us. They gave up several personal foul calls (rivalry game, frustrated, whatever). If you smash them in the mouth as much as they will smash you, you will have a shot. But honestly, I don't see it. As much as it pains me, Bees by at least 2 TDs.      

I liked your post till the very end! I believe if this Oneida team shows up then they have a shot. I can promise you one thing that Upperman honestly may have not been smashed in the mouth like they will Friday night. If Oneida is known for anything it’s smash mouth football and wearing teams down. They will hit you from kickoff till final horn. 

We have a really good punter that can flip the field with almost every punt. He has a very strong leg and will pin opponents deep quite often. I understand that Upperman has a very good QB but an Oneida coached team will be after him from the first snap and will hit him as many times as they can. He may want to throw the ball a little after he gets hit a couple times trying to run Friday night. 

Edited by OmahaOmaha

3 hours ago, OmahaOmaha said:

I liked your post till the very end! I believe if this Oneida team shows up then they have a shot. I can promise you one thing that Upperman honestly may have not been smashed in the mouth like they will Friday night. If Oneida is known for anything it’s smash mouth football and wearing teams down. They will hit you from kickoff till final horn. 

We have a really good punter that can flip the field with almost every punt. He has a very strong leg and will pin opponents deep quite often. I understand that Upperman has a very good QB but an Oneida coached team will be after him from the first snap and will hit him as many times as they can. He may want to throw the ball a little after he gets hit a couple times trying to run Friday night. 

Well the LA game was a bruiser. Both teams were feeling it afterwards.  I can guarantee your coach will not be throwing anything the QB hasn't already seen. He's been their starter 3 years and is a good leader. LA got some heavy shots but he wouldn't stay down. Don't get me wrong, I hope your assessment is right.  I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong, I just don't think it will happen. 

1 hour ago, JustABlueFan said:

Well the LA game was a bruiser. Both teams were feeling it afterwards.  I can guarantee your coach will not be throwing anything the QB hasn't already seen. He's been their starter 3 years and is a good leader. LA got some heavy shots but he wouldn't stay down. Don't get me wrong, I hope your assessment is right.  I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong, I just don't think it will happen. 

He may have seen it all but Oneida has one of the best if not the best defensive minds in the state in their head coach. He could very well be at a college as a D coordinator. I can assure you that he will have a dang good defensive scheme headed into this game. I’m not saying that he will shut them down completely because with the QB of that caliber you don’t shut them down you just try to slow him down. We will see what happens but I foresee a very hard played defensive battle. 

Edited by OmahaOmaha

1 hour ago, OmahaOmaha said:

He may have seen it all but Oneida has one of the best if not the best defensive minds in the state in their head coach. He could very well be at a college as a D coordinator. I can assure you that he will have a dang good defensive scheme headed into this game. I’m not saying that he will shut them down completely because with the QB of that caliber you don’t shut them down you just try to slow him down. We will see what happens but I foresee a very hard played defensive battle. 

For reference, the UHS QB accounted for over 200 yards against Alcoa.

Well my take is this, neithere side really knows what to expect. No history playing, not even a common opponent that both have played this year. I've watched some film and know that Upperman is a good team no doubt. They have a very solid defense and the qb is a talentedkid for sure. Lots of good athletes for them on the field both sides of the ball. The closest thing to a common opponent is LA and we hung with them PRESEASON in a SCRIMMAGE. Yes I know it's not the same and teams get better and all the rah rah rah but it's all we have to compare. Simply put both sides will have to play a very good game or the other will likely exploit the others mistakes. 

I know Oneida has a great team and a great coach. No one from Baxter is taking this game lightly - especially the players and coaches. Upperman has a solid D and a pretty good offense. This game could go either way for sure. One thing that I am almost certain of is that the QB for the Bees won’t be intimidated by how hard anyone hits. He’s played ball since he was about 5 and he has been smacked hard by kids from some big programs - including Cookeville, Livingston and Alcoa. He has the heart of a champion. If the Bees lose, it won’t be because he ever quit bringing it and I feel confident in our coach’s ability to put together a good plan. The question will be how well the young guys can execute it. We have an awful lot of sophomores starting on both sides of the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Goldeaglefan said:

I know Oneida has a great team and a great coach. No one from Baxter is taking this game lightly - especially the players and coaches. Upperman has a solid D and a pretty good offense. This game could go either way for sure. One thing that I am almost certain of is that the QB for the Bees won’t be intimidated by how hard anyone hits. He’s played ball since he was about 5 and he has been smacked hard by kids from some big programs - including Cookeville, Livingston and Alcoa. He has the heart of a champion. If the Bees lose, it won’t be because he ever quit bringing it and I feel confident in our coach’s ability to put together a good plan. The question will be how well the young guys can execute it. We have an awful lot of sophomores starting on both sides of the ball. 

Y'all are picked 87% in the big ones so you might be in the minority thinking we have a shot lol. I dont think anyone is suggesting the Upperman qb will be physically intimidated by the hard hits if they occur. I think it may be the mental aspect, again not fear but if a defense can get to the qb and make him look for the pressure and distract from his progressionor disrupt timing then it helps limit production. We do that well, one of the key factors in us even staying on the field with greenback. I'm certain you bring a potent offense, I've saw it. But I know for a fact your defense is your shining star as least in what I've saw. 

53 minutes ago, crow said:

Y'all are picked 87% in the big ones so you might be in the minority thinking we have a shot lol. I dont think anyone is suggesting the Upperman qb will be physically intimidated by the hard hits if they occur. I think it may be the mental aspect, again not fear but if a defense can get to the qb and make him look for the pressure and distract from his progressionor disrupt timing then it helps limit production. We do that well, one of the key factors in us even staying on the field with greenback. I'm certain you bring a potent offense, I've saw it. But I know for a fact your defense is your shining star as least in what I've saw. 

I would definitely agree. Our offense lost an all state receiver and running back to graduation. They’re definitely missed - it’s taking some time for the younger guys to get enough game experience to step up. We’ve lost a couple of linemen to injuries which doesn’t help.  Game film looks like Oneida has some big guys on the line, so we will need our backups to come on strong this week. 

19 minutes ago, Goldeaglefan said:

I would definitely agree. Our offense lost an all state receiver and running back to graduation. They’re definitely missed - it’s taking some time for the younger guys to get enough game experience to step up. We’ve lost a couple of linemen to injuries which doesn’t help.  Game film looks like Oneida has some big guys on the line, so we will need our backups to come on strong this week. 

Yeah got some size, a little young in a spot or 2. I really am looking forward to this game. Don't play a lot of teams I never watched before. Gonna be fun.