Oak Ridge vs Powell Thursday Night

keepitmoving

Very impressed with Powell QB. His accuracy on the long ball was outstanding and the last TD throw was tremendous. The freshman WR # 9 had a tough night for Powell but my goodness that guy has some bigtime talent- can definitely see why high major programs are already all over him.

Oak Ridge is much better than a 5-4 record indicates. They have really improved over the course of the year. They can play with and beat anybody in 5A on a given night, IMO.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Norman Dale said:

Very impressed with Powell QB. His accuracy on the long ball was outstanding and the last TD throw was tremendous. The freshman WR # 9 had a tough night for Powell but my goodness that guy has some bigtime talent- can definitely see why high major programs are already all over him.

Oak Ridge is much better than a 5-4 record indicates. They have really improved over the course of the year. They can play with and beat anybody in 5A on a given night, IMO.

Solid post all around. 

Just now, Norman Dale said:

I agree about us (OR). I mean, I would’ve loved to win this game, but as young as our team is compared to Powell, I feel good coming out of this game. We just put up nearly 250 yards rushing on arguably the best defense in East Tennessee (at least) in 5A. Whoever plays us better strap it up, because we’re getting better by the week.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Norman Dale said:

Solid points, all. 

I was wrong and I apologize.  I thought Powell would destroy us (OR) but we've improved more than I thought possible. Did anyone see this difference in size up front? OR gave the Powell QB way too much time to throw. The better team won but OR made a statement. If this loss doesn't get OR down and if they'll come back strong against Fulton, most teams won't want to see them in the playoffs. Jackson is a beast, and Romano is a beast. Isaiah Johnson and Jonathan Stewart can ball. Gibbons won the game but the refs called it back. Did anyone else notice that all of a sudden OR starting getting penalties at the worst possible time in the 4th quarter? The OR punter needs to improve. This was an exciting game and for the second week in a row the OR team represented great. I'm proud of the team and I hope they play that hard against Fulton. I don't know what the playoffs look like but I hope OR plays Powell again. 

18 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I was wrong and I apologize.  I thought Powell would destroy us (OR) but we've improved more than I thought possible. Did anyone see this difference in size up front? OR gave the Powell QB way too much time to throw. The better team won but OR made a statement. If this loss doesn't get OR down and if they'll come back strong against Fulton, most teams won't want to see them in the playoffs. Jackson is a beast, and Romano is a beast. Isaiah Johnson and Jonathan Stewart can ball. Gibbons won the game but the refs called it back. Did anyone else notice that all of a sudden OR starting getting penalties at the worst possible time in the 4th quarter? The OR punter needs to improve. This was an exciting game and for the second week in a row the OR team represented great. I'm proud of the team and I hope they play that hard against Fulton. I don't know what the playoffs look like but I hope OR plays Powell again. 

The non-pressure on Trussley killed us. Can’t give a guy that much time to throw with that kind of talent at the wideout position and expect it to not bite ya in the ying yang in the end. Credit to their OL though, them boys are good in pass blocking. Very proud of our guys though. We need to take care of business against Fulton, then you never know what can happen in the playoffs after that. OR has a very bright 3-4 years coming up though. Lots of talent in the wings and coming up from the middle schools. I’m with you on playing Powell again. I’d like to see them in the playoffs. Jackson will be a D1 prospect by his SR year-bank on it.

Edited by SweetScience

I am confused and here is why...since the spring I have tried to pump the team up. I even went so far as to say the Cats would go 15 - 0. I really thought with this junior class and some seniors and sophomores we were in for something special. All I heard back was OR was too slow and too small.

Now, tonight I read many positive posts about OR. People are coming around to see things I saw for half a year. HOWEVER, I don't feel so positive now. If Powell didn't drop so many passes the game would have been a blow out.

I just wonder are we good, meaty okra or lucky?  I am going to sleep on this question for several days and try and make sense of where the Cats stand in Week 10 of the season.

I echo all of you who are pulling for the Cats to get back to winning against Fulton.

\\\\

6 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I am confused and here is why...since the spring I have tried to pump the team up. I even went so far as to say the Cats would go 15 - 0. I really thought with this junior class and some seniors and sophomores we were in for something special. All I heard back was OR was too slow and too small.

Now, tonight I read many positive posts about OR. People are coming around to see things I saw for half a year. HOWEVER, I don't feel so positive now. If Powell didn't drop so many passes the game would have been a blow out.

I just wonder are we good, meaty okra or lucky?  I am going to sleep on this question for several days and try and make sense of where the Cats stand in Week 10 of the season.

I echo all of you who are pulling for the Cats to get back to winning against Fulton.

\\\\

Well, we also had a TD called back, and early in the game Heyward was wide open but Gibbons threw the ball about 20 yards OOB. Strange throw by Mitchell, but that play had a really good chance of being a TD or at the least a huge gain, so we had a couple plays go against us as well. But yeah, they dropped at least 2 TD’s, but as good as that freshman is, he’s still a freshman, so that’s what you get when you put a freshman in positions like that. As talented as he is, those drops were drops a freshman kid makes. Either way, Powell was clearly the better team. I’m most impressed with how well we ran the ball against them. There’s a lot of positives to take away from tonight from the standpoint of OR.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Well, we also had a TD called back, and early in the game Heyward was wide open but Gibbons threw the ball about 20 yards OOB. Strange throw by Mitchell, but that play had a really good chance of being a TD or at the least a huge gain, so we had a couple plays go against us as well. But yeah, they dropped at least 2 TD’s, but as good as that freshman is, he’s still a freshman, so that’s what you get when you put a freshman in positions like that. As talented as he is, those drops were drops a freshman kid makes. Either way, Powell was clearly the better team. I’m most impressed with how well we ran the ball against them. There’s a lot of positives to take away from tonight from the standpoint of OR.

Thanks SS, all of your points are well taken.

Fun trip tonight.  Playoff atmosphere. OR won the 1st half 21-7. Plow won  the 4th qtr 20-0.  Refs were fair.  Great HS game.  Proud of our players, another gutsy effort. Coaches had the team prepared. Alot of OR "fans" stayed home and watched on tv, as usual. The real Cat fans showed up and brought  it hard again tonight, cause that is what we do. Plow had several drops that would have been game changing plays.  OR held on for 47 min and 44 seconds. 

21-7 start of 4th qtr. To beat a good team on the road, we have to be able to move the chains and close it out.  Two or three first downs would have done it on  either of the last two times we had the ball.  The W was there for the taking come winning time.

I think we came out of the game without significant injuries, thank goodness.  And we  are definitely improving.  IF we can pull out 2 road wins in a row, (Fulton and the 2 seed out region 4),  we will be right back at Plow, 3 weeks from tonight for a  playoff rematch.   Proud of everybody that made the trip tonight.  Go Cats!

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

Great post everybody I slept the hurtfulness off lol. The game went pretty much how I expected. I had no doubt in it not being close after the mt Juliet game. In all realty we have enough athletes to sneak games or win games! Defense eh maybe not but they play hard which makes up. I knew we would have to stop the pass or “could” get ugly and to be honest we got a bunch of help in that! Adarius is elite talent his routes and speed is amazing! He just had an awful night but with that being said qb deep ball is money with JJ foust making senior catches! Good game by both..I didn’t like the calls on oak ridge in 4th at all! Pass interference on Preston was bogus! It wasn’t one! I can’t speak on the holding call because I didn’t see it tbh. Just insane calls last minute imo. 58 lineman for Powell is a stud I credited him last week as well! I’m actually cheering for Powell this playoff you have to respect that team plus I like Matt Lowe: oak ridge will bounce back

• Like 1