Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

2 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

If that is indeed the case, then scrap the current system completely! The TSSAA is responsible for checking and researching these cases before sending out an approval letter declaring his eligibility! That is on them 100%...never send out an "all clear" letter before verifying everything in these situations. It's the wrong way to handle it. It's confusing, careless, complicated, insulting, and stupid. Period.

And where do you think the money is going to come from to hire the investigators to cover over 40,000 square miles to fact check over 5,000 teams?  :roll:

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Nope... TSSAA is only responsible for processing the information provided to them by the school. That means that 100% of the liability is on the school to make sure all the correct information is included. Just to be clear, I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, or intent to "skirt" the rules as written... just that the part of the equation with anything to lose if not done properly is the school/team, so if anyone is at fault, it's them.

Wrong! It’s a horrible system, so change it!! You cannot have this stupidity of relying on the schools...mistakes will always be made! Change the system and it makes sense that the TSSAA research and verify these situations. You cannot give rulings and then change later after the fact. It’s flat wrong.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Wrong! It’s a horrible system, so change it!! You cannot have this stupidity of relying on the schools...mistakes will always be made! Change the system and it makes sense that the TSSAA research and verify these situations. You cannot give rulings and then change later after the fact. It’s flat wrong.

Can't argue with this guy, he makes zero sense... I'm out, because it's over and done.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, PullinGuard said:

Should have been made aware by whom, though, is the question?  Director of Schools believed it exactly as they did.  As far as I know, she's been in charge since FHS was created and worked through all of this with the TSSAA.  Not a soul in the system understood this, and seemingly, neither did Bernard Childress in September. 

I have no idea how any of them could have understood this before October.

You get a senior transfer student in, has a Principal and head coach, you better be looking at the transcripts from the various schools, custodial permissions, addresses etc.  If these 2 don't know, how do you expect the TSSAA to know without an investigation?  That happened and the paper work was turned in wrong.  Case closed.  There are multiple precedents.  I am neutral in this.  I would have liked to see Freedom Pop and Fayetteville City High stay in the playoffs with their 10 - 0 records.  This is my last post in this thread.  My last few posts have been very clear and to the point. 

Edited by rlh

Imo, the bus route rule is ridiculous, however, I've heard from an AD or two that said the rule has been in place for a while, and always took the rule into consideration. 

So, as bad as I hate it for Fayetteville, the initial blame has to go on them. However, Childress is at fault as wel for the initial all clear.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Imo, the bus route rule is ridiculous, however, I've heard from an AD or two that said the rule has been in place for a while, and always took the rule into consideration. 

So, as bad as I hate it for Fayetteville, the initial blame has to go on them. However, Childress is at fault as wel for the initial all clear.

This is essentially my take on this as well. 

Bus route rule may be OK for some situations but not in every scenario. Lincoln County High and Fayetteville are both in Fayetteville. The schools are less than a mile apart as the crow flies. There is more animosity than cooperation between the two. They both view Lincoln County as their territory and to rule the athlete is eligible at one school but not the other is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So let’s take this a step in the other direction. Athlete lives in a county with three high schools. Two are county schools and the third is a city school. Athlete does not live within the bus route of the city school. Athlete decided at start of 9th grade to go to city school and provide own transportation, should they be ineligible? 
if they decided after 9th grade to transfer to the county school that does provide bus to their home would they be eligible without an address change? 

23 minutes ago, baJenkins said:

So let’s take this a step in the other direction. Athlete lives in a county with three high schools. Two are county schools and the third is a city school. Athlete does not live within the bus route of the city school. Athlete decided at start of 9th grade to go to city school and provide own transportation, should they be ineligible? 
if they decided after 9th grade to transfer to the county school that does provide bus to their home would they be eligible without an address change? 

The answer to your question (as far as athletics and TSSAA are concerned) is that the Coach, the Athletic Director, and the Principal bear the responsibility to acquire and understand the policy, and to ascertain whether or not the player is eligible to the best of their knowledge BEFORE petitioning TSSAA to grant eligibility. By submitting all the athletes information and circumstances for approval, those aforementioned have done their duty to their school and it's athletic teams that would suffer the negative effects of the Fayetteville City situation. Bottom line is that the administration failed the team in doing their due diligence, and the team suffered for it because someone other than FC supplied additional information that FC omitted or overlooked. It is not reasonable to expect TSSAA to thoroughly investigate every student statewide that participates in sanctioned events, nor is it reasonable to expect them to uphold their earlier rulings that were based solely on supplied information, when that information is/was incomplete.

9 hours ago, baJenkins said:

IF they haven't practiced or played with another school, they could enter the city school at the beginning of the 9th grade.  IF they participate in athletics and go to county school in the 10th grade, they would have to sit out. This is currently in the TSSAA rules. 

• Upvote 1