District 5AA

ElGoat

Ok again, I’m going to have to agree with TigerGoat and figure some of you people have absolutely zero basketball sense or are pissed parents that your kids not getting enough time. I did a little digging since the last post and found out in the 14 years Coach Powell has been at Meigs he has had 20+ win seasons in 11 of those years, been to the state tournament and has only had 3 D2 signees and a couple of Wesleyan and juco. So just like the rest of you have an opinion, so do I, and I think that’s impressive with just a bunch of rural decent high school players. Apparently he knows how to squeeze blood from turnips! 

• Like 1

Tonight’s games 

Meigs over Polk in a easy game, coach did a good job and got some of the young kids in early in the second half. 

Central over Loudon in what looked like an easy game.

Sequoyah over Sweetwater in a close one.

Meigs next game is in the Greeneville tournament next week, they will play South Greene first game, it should be a good game.

2 hours ago, BBallHipe said:

Ok again, I’m going to have to agree with TigerGoat and figure some of you people have absolutely zero basketball sense or are pissed parents that your kids not getting enough time. I did a little digging since the last post and found out in the 14 years Coach Powell has been at Meigs he has had 20+ win seasons in 11 of those years, been to the state tournament and has only had 3 D2 signees and a couple of Wesleyan and juco. So just like the rest of you have an opinion, so do I, and I think that’s impressive with just a bunch of rural decent high school players. Apparently he knows how to squeeze blood from turnips! 

From the sound of it, coaches like this guy don't come along very often. Fourteen years is a long time to put up with all the crap that comes with coaching. Looking forward to seeing him and his team next week in Greeneville.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, hohmaster said:

Other than Meigs and Central, the district is once again very weak. For Central to beat Meigs, it would take Meigs playing their worst game and Central playing their best game, which could happen. It doesn't look to me like Meigs is playing up to their billing, but that is probably most attributable to their coach. Some people got on me last year for calling out Meigs' coach, but some other people this year are in agreement. 

Are we sure it’s not because their best player is hurt? I think that has more to do with it than anything else. 

I do agree that Meigs has struggled early, and IMO Meigs should of won 3 out of the 4 games they lost and Kenny did play in 3 of the losses, but she wasn’t close to 100%. I’ve seen a lot of teams and players in East TN and Kenny is a top 10 player in all classification, the key now is to learn to play without her, and for the last few games the coach has done a good job of moving players around and getting one of the young players in that is very talented and can help. I still think Meigs is a top 10 team and I still think they have a good chance to make it to state this year because they have a lot of talent, and this weekend will be good for them playing some good competition.

Meigs finished 4th in the Greeneville tournament, they lost to Upperman in OT 58-54 in a great game, they are starting to play really good, Anna Crowder lead the way with 15, Powell had 14, Ella Crowder had 8, Wade 6, Bales had 5, Stone only had 3, she was still playing sick and she was in foul trouble for most of the game and fouled out in the 4th, Stone was selected to the all tournament team. With balanced scoring like that they will be hard to beat. 

On another note, I’ve been trying to figure out how good Red Bank and Signal Mountain are, Signal beat Red Bank for the second time this year both were really close games, but I did see something last night that makes me scratch my head. Walker Valley only beat Polk Co 55-50 last night and WV beat RB 62-46, and Meigs beat Polk by 50.