Huntingdon vs Huntland

Waker

Something I want to bring to the attention of Huntland fans that happened after the game when the teams were shaking hands. At the end of the Mustang line 15 or 20 little Mustang fans worked their way into the back of the line. Even after a hard fought loss the Hornet players gave high five to every one of those little kids. They didn’t have to do that, but they did. These young kids look at these players on both teams with wide eyes and a small bit of attention goes a long ways. Another reason I love small town high school football.

Edited by Waker
  • Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Again my thoughts on the game.  Huntland played inspired ball.  They just didn't have the horses up front to keep up with the Mustangs for 4 quarters.  Plus their lack of a passing attack kept them one dimensional for the most part even though they completed 2 passes over the top.  It is true that Region 5 Class 1A was a close battle this year.  Not much difference between the top 3 and Fayetteville as well.  I don't think Fayetteville would have fared any better if much at all.  

Huntingdon was by far the better team.  They reminded me of Meigs on offense somewhat but not as big or had as much depth as Meigs County.  Huntingdon started out very slow and that may have been due to the long drive and don't forget it was played a day earlier than normal.  We are all creatures of habit and anything out of the norm can and does affect us.

Huntland controlled the tempo early on.  And the helmet to helmet call at the end of the first half was definitely a good call.  Ensley seemed to be sitting on the ground for the most part after a couple defenders had him brought down and wrapped up.  Then another defender came in late and delivered a shot that drew a flag from every official out there.  That 15 yard penalty accessed on the 2nd half kickoff set Huntingdon up on a commanding 2nd half performance.  They just muscled up and had their way for the most part after that.

I was glad towards the end that no one got tossed from the game.  You wouldn't want to see it against your team/school so why would you want to see it called against another?  Playoffs are heated and rightfully so.  Everything you've work for all year is coming down to the wire.  Emotions flare.  Remember to be led by emotions and not controlled by them and you'll be better off for it. 

Huntingdon didn't throw a long pass at the end.  Just a 10-15 yard out pattern. A couple of broken tackles a juke here and there and a reverse of field and the kid took it to the house.

If Huntingdon is to advance next week I believe they'll have to play a more sound game defensively.  Of course now they have an extra day and will be hosting.  Already clinched their semifinal game.  So all is good on that front.  

As for Huntland they had a really good year. Much impressed with the way they have improved over the course of the season.  Huntland is a small and very proud town.  Reminds me some of South Pitt.  It's just that Huntland lacks enough players.  But I will say they get the most out of what they've got.  

Very nice crowd last night.  Good to see other schools represented from across the State.  So I don't want to hear anything about being soft and not playing the game in the rain tonight.  As for myself, a fan of high school football, I'm very glad the game was moved because I got the opportunity to watch another quarterfinal game.  I'm selfish that way I guess. 

Good luck to Huntland as regroup and start looking forward to next year.

Also congrats to Huntingdon for clinching a semifinal berth.  There are 6 other teams playing tonight in 1A that are trying to accomplish that feat.  So good luck next week. 

And to the other top 3 out there,  let's get it on! 

Great post! Offense was sloppy last night for whatever reason. Huntingdon played it's most complete game this year last week against Cornersville. West Carroll/LC will get everything the Mustangs have I can promise you that. You will see Mr. Football and his boys at their very best next week AT HUNTINGDON!

9 minutes ago, Waker said:

Something I want to bring to the attention of Huntland fans that happened after the game when the teams were shaking hands. At the end of the Mustang line 15 or 20 little Mustang fans worked their way into the back of the line. Even after a hard fought loss the Hornet players gave high five to every one of those little kids. They didn’t have to do that, but they did. These young kids look at these players on both teams with wide eyes and a small bit of attention goes a long ways. Another reason I love small town high school football.

Kudos to the Huntland players for that gesture!

55 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Again my thoughts on the game.  Huntland played inspired ball.  They just didn't have the horses up front to keep up with the Mustangs for 4 quarters.  Plus their lack of a passing attack kept them one dimensional for the most part even though they completed 2 passes over the top.  It is true that Region 5 Class 1A was a close battle this year.  Not much difference between the top 3 and Fayetteville as well.  I don't think Fayetteville would have fared any better if much at all.  

Huntingdon was by far the better team.  They reminded me of Meigs on offense somewhat but not as big or had as much depth as Meigs County.  Huntingdon started out very slow and that may have been due to the long drive and don't forget it was played a day earlier than normal.  We are all creatures of habit and anything out of the norm can and does affect us.

Huntland controlled the tempo early on.  And the helmet to helmet call at the end of the first half was definitely a good call.  Ensley seemed to be sitting on the ground for the most part after a couple defenders had him brought down and wrapped up.  Then another defender came in late and delivered a shot that drew a flag from every official out there.  That 15 yard penalty accessed on the 2nd half kickoff set Huntingdon up on a commanding 2nd half performance.  They just muscled up and had their way for the most part after that.

I was glad towards the end that no one got tossed from the game.  You wouldn't want to see it against your team/school so why would you want to see it called against another?  Playoffs are heated and rightfully so.  Everything you've work for all year is coming down to the wire.  Emotions flare.  Remember to be led by emotions and not controlled by them and you'll be better off for it. 

Huntingdon didn't throw a long pass at the end.  Just a 10-15 yard out pattern. A couple of broken tackles a juke here and there and a reverse of field and the kid took it to the house.

If Huntingdon is to advance next week I believe they'll have to play a more sound game defensively.  Of course now they have an extra day and will be hosting.  Already clinched their semifinal game.  So all is good on that front.  

As for Huntland they had a really good year. Much impressed with the way they have improved over the course of the season.  Huntland is a small and very proud town.  Reminds me some of South Pitt.  It's just that Huntland lacks enough players.  But I will say they get the most out of what they've got.  

Very nice crowd last night.  Good to see other schools represented from across the State.  So I don't want to hear anything about being soft and not playing the game in the rain tonight.  As for myself, a fan of high school football, I'm very glad the game was moved because I got the opportunity to watch another quarterfinal game.  I'm selfish that way I guess. 

Good luck to Huntland as regroup and start looking forward to next year.

Also congrats to Huntingdon for clinching a semifinal berth.  There are 6 other teams playing tonight in 1A that are trying to accomplish that feat.  So good luck next week. 

And to the other top 3 out there,  let's get it on! 

Great post.. coach swenson said in the post game huddle that wasn't our finest game, we have some stuff to clean up. We realize that.. in a game of football there are no excuses. 3 hour ride, Thursday night, no band, it doesn't matter. You still have to play the game. Do I believe we can defeat lake county? Yes I do.. do I believe we beat lake county if we would of have played last night? No I don't.  If I'm the coaches I am taking advantage of having Friday off.   Get together come up with a game plan.. limit Snyder.. yes I know he isn't the only weapon. But you get him out of his Grove it could be just the spark we need..I know that when lake county comes to Huntingdon, they know they are going to have to play their hardest and greatest game, just like we will have to.. it's a shame that lake county, Huntingdon, south Pitt, and greenback are all this good this year  each one of these teams could win the title any other year.  Lake county good luck tonight. West Carroll is going to pay their hearts off tonight. They know they are the underdog. They have nothing to lose, could be dangerous. Play smart, safe and come to Huntingdon next week for the biggest game of these kids lives .  It will be a Huge crowd. Good luck falcons!

9 minutes ago, Waker said:

I couldn’t agree more. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

In 62 pages has anyone mentioned the Fayetteville team that could have been hosting this game? If the motion sick Mustangs had a bad half against that team it could've ended their season.

1 hour ago, rebelboy121 said:

No sir. Huntland should have beat Fayetteville.  All Region 5A teams were about the same.

29 minutes ago, Guy001 said:

No mention.  Fayetteville would have been a tougher matchup for the Mustangs (stronger all around on defense, more variety on offense).  The way Huntington played the first half they'd have lost.  The way they played the second half they'd have won.  Good luck to Huntington on the next round, well played game overall.

Thanks for the love @Salem.  The harsh and unfortunate reality of this whole season for us is that we will never be able to say, "Yeah, we beat so and so in the 2019 playoffs", or, we made it to the second, third, or fourth rounds.  It will have to be a topic of conversation over a few cold ones or around a bonfire of the season that wasn't.  Not to say that on the field we didn't dominate some teams.  Not to say that this team of over-achievers didn't hold all but one opponent to two touchdowns or less, and that one that is as of today still in the playoffs (Gordonsville, btw, who scored 17 on us). Not to say that we didn't finish the season 10-0 (or 4-6, depending on how you look at it with the outside factors involved).  Not to say that the team and the group of young men that finished 1-9 in 2018 didn't turn their program around 180 degrees.  It's extremely difficult to produce teams that consistently prove their mettle and have success in the post-season.  SP does it, Huntingdon, Lake Co., GB does it, Wayne County back in the day.  That's the kind of teams we at Fayetteville (and so does everyone else) want to create.  We caught lightning in a bottle this year, and for all the wrong reasons, we had to remove the bottle cap and move on.  

To @rebelboy121 I would say, I disagree with you to the full extent.  Should Huntland have beat Fayetteville?  Sure they should have; if the 2018 team was the one they played.  But, your harsh reality is that it wasn't the 2018 team, and  on the field, and after the last whistle, Fayetteville came out on top.  As it was with all our other R-5 opponents. And, unfortunately for me, I took a certain satisfaction as I followed this thread last night that Huntland had no answers to the Mustangs and ended up losing, even if Huntland kept pace with them for some of the game and even if the Hornets were "our" representative in the playoffs.  With each play-off game Huntland advanced from, I felt that we would have as well IF the circumstances had been different.  But again, the harsh reality is that the Fayetteville Tigers were not representing R-5.  I've said too much, and I'm belaboring the point and ya'lls patience, so we can pick this convo back up in 2020 if you're that interested.  . . 

@Guy001, you've made some good points this season, even with being so "new" to posting here on The T.  I agree with you that Fayetteville would have been a tougher match-up, and it would have been a very interesting game to have watched--how would've the X's and O's played out between our two teams?  How would your Mr. Football candidate been handled/stopped/schemed for by our group of athletes?  I would say that even though we will never know how it would have turned out this year, we will go back to work to see how it will turn out in the near future.  

And finally, to answer someone's question of where did Huntingdon stop to stretch their legs and do their walk-through s--they stopped at Fayetteville High School.  They were allowed full use of our facilities (such as they are) to help them prepare for last night's game.  I personally am glad they were able to get ready and take a minuscule amount of satisfaction that (we) were indirectly and remotely involved in their ultimate success.  

• Thanks 4