Meigs County Football 2020

Yeti

43 minutes ago, DonkeyKong88 said:

Meigs first game may not happen, but not sure.  A lot rumors coming out of Sweetwater of 100+ students being sent home for quarantine.  Not sure if football was affected.

If that's true, anyone not affected by quarantine that's on the football team should still get to play. The only way it wouldn't is if they didnt have the numbers to put on the field. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, DonkeyKong88 said:

Meigs first game may not happen, but not sure.  A lot rumors coming out of Sweetwater of 100+ students being sent home for quarantine.  Not sure if football was affected.

Details behind this are mind boggling to say the least. I've spoke with a buddy from work who has a kid on the Sweetwater team. If common sense had been used and guidelines followed it could have easily been prevented. I'm still not sure why we wouldn't have this game though. Plenty of time to get tests done before game time if that's the route we choose to move forward. He said only 3 players would be quarantined. Also said they have between 60 and 70 kids on the team.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, Imthayeti said:

Not quite, we replace him with a 3 year starter Logan Carroll who had significant playtime at the receiver position also played SS. Has great throwing ability probably just better than Swafford in that area. He has good running ability just lacks the raw power Swafford had. Hes pretty quick probably runs a 4.7 or so he is gonna be a Junior. Hes looked good in practice and workouts. Few snaps under his belt to calm some nerves and I think he will be a household name around Meigs faithful this year. We look to have a trio of backs this year not sure if we will limit it to two or not but we have 3 with great ability.

Having played a lot of football myself, one of the biggest things I noticed about Swafford was his leadership ability. He had command of the huddle and offense, and made everyone around him better by example. He had respect and confidence in his teammates, as they did him. That trait is hard to replace even with someone more talented. There's no doubt that coach Fitzgerald has been working on that part with Mr. Carroll. 
I got to watch Meigs a few times last year. They had a lot of good young players on the team, and they'll have a pretty darn good group of 8th graders there as freshmen this year. 

Edited by hohmaster

1 hour ago, hohmaster said:

made everyone around him better by example.

That trait is hard to replace even with someone more talented.

they'll have a pretty darn good group of 8th graders there as freshmen this year. 

I'll admit I was very fond of watching Swafford play. Not many kids bring that kind of ability and skillset to the table. Pair that with hard work and determination and any kid in a radius of his would be willing to follow.

Carroll if he chooses to be the field leader will already have the teams respect as he has been a starter his Freshman and Sophomore year with great success. One of our biggest threats this year is on 3rd down not knowing what we are gonna do. Carroll can run the ball pretty well and has a great arm. Pair that with Will Meadows who had 1k yard rushing last year and that's with sharing the Carrie's with a 2k rusher that our qb was. We will definitely have success. We also have a multitude of underclassmen with great ability in the rb position. I've seen Cody Caywood show great talent at the rb position as a sophomore. Pair him with Meadows our Senior back and we definitely have some options.

I believe you are a McMinn Central poster from memory so gonna assume you went to the championship game we had between our two teams last year. To say we have talent in our Freshman class is almost an understatement. Meigs will be good for 4 years if the virus chooses to let us play.

Edited by Imthayeti

27 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

I'll admit I was very fond of watching Swafford play. Not many kids bring that kind of ability and skillset to the table. Pair that with hard work and determination and any kid in a radius of his would be willing to follow.

Carroll if he chooses to be the field leader will already have the teams respect as he has been a starter his Freshman and Sophomore year with great success. One of our biggest threats this year is on 3rd down not knowing what we are gonna do. Carroll can run the ball pretty well and has a great arm. Pair that with Will Meadows who had 1k yard rushing last year and that's with sharing the Carrie's with a 2k rusher that our qb was. We will definitely have success. We also have a multitude of underclassmen with great ability in the rb position. I've seen Cody Caywood show great talent at the rb position as a sophomore. Pair him with Meadows our Senior back and we definitely have some options.

I believe you are a McMinn Central poster from memory so gonna assume you went to the championship game we had between our two teams last year. To say we have talent in our Freshman class is almost an understatement. Meigs will be good for 4 years if the virus chooses to let us play.

I am a McMinn Central follower and poster, though I've been accused of being a Meigs fan by some Central paranoids who can't understand me bragging on the Meigs' program. I didn't play for Central but attend most of their games due to family connections to the school. I call it like I see it, which doesn't set well with some.
I was at the Middle School championship game between Meigs and Central, and expected a better game though I thought Meigs would win. I couldn't believe the difference of the teams on that field that night, and I believe a lot of that is the carryover from the high school teams' programs. Coach Fitzgerald has raised the bar very high at Meigs, and those expectations and pride filters down to the elementary age young men. It remains to be seen if Coach Davis can replicate that success at Central. 
I hesitate to name names, but one young man who played linebacker at Meigs last year really impressed me. His last name was Smith and I think he was a sophomore. He wasn't big, but he had a motor on every play and refused to quit.  That's called heart.

17 minutes ago, hohmaster said:

I am a McMinn Central follower and poster, though I've been accused of being a Meigs fan by some Central paranoids who can't understand me bragging on the Meigs' program. I didn't play for Central but attend most of their games due to family connections to the school. I call it like I see it, which doesn't set well with some.
I was at the Middle School championship game between Meigs and Central, and expected a better game though I thought Meigs would win. I couldn't believe the difference of the teams on that field that night, and I believe a lot of that is the carryover from the high school teams' programs. Coach Fitzgerald has raised the bar very high at Meigs, and those expectations and pride filters down to the elementary age young men. It remains to be seen if Coach Davis can replicate that success at Central. 
I hesitate to name names, but one young man who played linebacker at Meigs last year really impressed me. His last name was Smith and I think he was a sophomore. He wasn't big, but he had a motor on every play and refused to quit.  That's called heart.

Ben Smith is who you are referring to. Along with playing OLB he will be sharing some time at the RB position from what I've seen. Also another great talent.

I didn't want to mention the outcome because it was pretty lopsided. One thing I know about those young kids is they really, and I mean really know how to lay the lumber at a very young age. 

Edited by Imthayeti

57 minutes ago, hohmaster said:

I dont know alot about coach Davis really. I know he was able to game plan us alot and really slow us down over the years despite the gap in talent. I know Fitzgerald holds him in high regard as a coach. 

59 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

Ben Smith is who you are referring to. Along with playing OLB he will be sharing some time at the RB position from what I've seen. Also another great talent.

I didn't want to mention the outcome because it was pretty lopsided. One thing I know about those young kids is they really, and I mean really know how to lay the lumber at a very young age. 

Mr. Smith could lay the lumber for an average sized guy. I think he even had a pick 6 in that game against Central. I'm just glad it rained because it slowed Meigs down some. lol

There was a lot of big talk from some Central Middle parents prior to the championship game. I told them to not be overconfident because a ref I knew had called games with both teams and he told me Meigs was much tougher and more physical, and they laughed. I did think it would be closer because Central had some pretty good players. It was an obvious mismatch. I think it was 45-7 or something like that at halftime and may have been worse if Meigs' starting QB had played. The game reminded me of a Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".   If not for the running clock and Meigs playing a lot of the bench in the second half they may have scored a 100.  

5 minutes ago, hohmaster said:

Mr. Smith could lay the lumber for an average sized guy. I think he even had a pick 6 in that game against Central. I'm just glad it rained because it slowed Meigs down some. lol

There was a lot of big talk from some Central Middle parents prior to the championship game. I told them to not be overconfident because a ref I knew had called games with both teams and he told me Meigs was much tougher and more physical, and they laughed. I did think it would be closer because Central had some pretty good players. It was an obvious mismatch. I think it was 45-7 or something like that at halftime and may have been worse if Meigs' starting QB had played. The game reminded me of a Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".   If not for the running clock and Meigs playing a lot of the bench in the second half they may have scored a 100.  

They beat most people like that except for Dayton. Still beat them handily though. They had a really good team. The hurt qb you mentioned is the little brother of Will Meadows our current starter running back. He chose not to play football unfortunately. He was years beyond his age in talent and quickness. Would love to have had him play.

36 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

I dont know alot about coach Davis really. I know he was able to game plan us alot and really slow us down over the years despite the gap in talent. I know Fitzgerald holds him in high regard as a coach. 

I think Davis is a good coach with his dad helping him coach and game plan. I've never considered them to be great, and that's not a knock on them. Their last few years at Polk weren't that good, though they were good at slowing down games so they wouldn't get totally blown out. 
I'm just not sure that Central or the entire community is that committed to achieving greatness, or if they know what it takes. I was disappointed in the 3-7 record last year with all those Seniors and an intentionally weakened schedule. I'm hoping this year will show improvement.

3 minutes ago, Imthayeti said:

They beat most people like that except for Dayton. Still beat them handily though. They had a really good team. The hurt qb you mentioned is the little brother of Will Meadows our current starter running back. He chose not to play football unfortunately. He was years beyond his age in talent and quickness. Would love to have had him play.

I remember the Meadows' boy's Dad, Gary. He was a hoss in high school and may still own some state records. I heard the younger Meadows boy is bigger than Will and loves basketball, but will need a disciplinarian to coach him.  Coach Fitz' would have been the perfect one to tame this young buck.