Gibson County at TCA

Intense

13 hours ago, Intense said:

I agree GC didn’t play their best ball.  I would hope we had something to do with that.  We didn’t play our best against Greenfield BUT they had a lot to do with it with their pressure.   TCA is at its best when they run the floor.  They were able to do that in spurts tonight.  I also thought they did a great job of not leaving Bass open.  We’ve seen enough of her to know you can’t give her an inch of space.  GC will get better as season goes on.  Coach Wilkins is too good of a coach to let one game get them down.  

We were playing so slow and so late on passes it wasn’t funny. Too much dribbling and not passing. She was wide open a ton on press breaks over the top and didn’t get the ball and on outlets off of defensive rebounds. Your defense is good no doubt but GC basketball and HS basketball much like you said you like TCA to do is you got to get the ball up the court fast to your playmakers and get them in to open space. Playing slow in HS basketball and slow playing passes is a losing proposition all the way around. We played South Side twice and played with a whole lot more sense of urgency. Even when we were playing slow getting the ball to Hart is a must and we didn’t do that either.

Edited by pioneer42

18 minutes ago, Intense said:

I agree GC didn’t play their best ball.  I would hope we had something to do with that.  We didn’t play our best against Greenfield BUT they had a lot to do with it with their pressure.   TCA is at its best when they run the floor.  They were able to do that in spurts tonight.  I also thought they did a great job of not leaving Bass open.  We’ve seen enough of her to know you can’t give her an inch of space.  GC will get better as season goes on.  Coach Wilkins is too good of a coach to let one game get them down.  

TCA has a good team.... my personal favorite to win the Division II-A state.

Wilkins is a heck of a coach, but the only one's who are going to get this figured out are the players on the floor. If they want to win, they'll win.... if they want to be remembered as a group that underachieved, that's on them. Wilkins is doing what he can to get these kids to play.

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

We were playing so slow and so late on passes it wasn’t funny. Too much dribbling and not passing. She was wide open a ton on press breaks over the top and didn’t get the ball and on outlets off of defensive rebounds. Your defense is good no doubt but GC basketball and HS basketball much like you said you like TCA to do is you got to get the ball up the court fast to your playmakers and get them in to open space. Playing slow in HS basketball and slow playing passes is a losing proposition all the way around. We played South Side twice and played with with a whole lot more sense of urgency. Even when we were playing slow getting the ball to Hart is a must and we didn’t do that either.

I agree that a faster paced game gets the ball to your playmakers in space and that’s why I love to see TCA run.  I think your other post player is really solid and doesn’t get enough accolades.  If I were critiquing GC, I would say that your depth is your main weakness.  That can be corrected as season moves on though. 

The game really went as I thought for the most part. The Lions dominated inside with the play of 32 and 21. 32 can own the inside. She is extra dangerous because she can pop out and drop a 3 bomb at any time. She runs the floor so well and is very capable of handling the Rock. 21 simply gets points and rebounds in a very quiet fashion. The defense tonight, even though it did not play well at times, was simply smothering for the most part. Defensively, they have been playing at a different level since the home game against Crockett County.

Gibson County is a very good basketball team and weillwin alot of games. I simply think that this TCA team is very special. They are loaded with homegrown talent and can go a long way this season

Edited by ReitzFan

34 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Wilkins is a heck of a coach, but the only one's who are going to get this figured out are the players on the floor. If they want to win, they'll win.... if they want to be remembered as a group that underachieved, that's on them. Wilkins is doing what he can to get these kids to play.

I agree it is not his fault at all and he is putting them in position to make plays and they are there but are not being made. I heard his conversations on the bench tonight. There two best playmakers are not getting enough touches and they are open. Every time the defense got settled in and we were in a half court set and the ball didn’t go to Hart down low I would replace the person that didn’t get it to her immediately. That is something I think he is going to have to do moving forward. It has gotten so bad now I feel he will do it to hold players accountable. That is the only way you can change some bad apples is start setting them and that goes for all five players  And the whole non-parent crowd is seeing what I am seeing. There is a big time disconnect amongst the players and it is quite obvious. 

Edited by pioneer42

34 minutes ago, Intense said:

I agree that a faster paced game gets the ball to your playmakers in space and that’s why I love to see TCA run.  I think your other post player is really solid and doesn’t get enough accolades.  If I were critiquing GC, I would say that your depth is your main weakness.  That can be corrected as season moves on though. 

28 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

The game really went as I thought for the most part. The Lions dominated inside with the play of 32 and 21. 32 can own the inside. She is extra dangerous because she can pop out and drop a 3 bomb at any time. She runs the floor so well and is very capable of handling the Rock. 21 simply gets points and rebounds in a very quiet fashion. The defense tonight, even though it did not play well at times, was simply smothering for the most part. Defensively, they have been playing at a different level since the home game against Crockett County.

Gibson County is a very good basketball team and weillwin alot of games. I simply think that this TCA team is very special. They are loaded with homegrown talent and can go a long way this season

The thing that TCA needs to clean up or could stop them from making a deep run is ball handling. They play good defense, rebound very well, play well in transition, play well in the half court and handle the ball pretty good for the most part. Ball handling and closing close games late is something that will be needed consistently to win the Gold Ball. I think they can and will get it done personally..I know most of the TCA girls and know the time and effort they put on their own and I am really impressed. I hope they win it because I see the fields they have planted and they deserve it.

GC got what they wanted in order to win tonight's game.  The big guns did not play well for TCA; however ridiculous turnover after turnover for GC was very uncharacteristic.  The team I saw play tonight won't be in Murfreesboro,  The team I saw against USJ in the second half, should be.  Who are you GC? Should be an interesting rest of the season for them. To me, looks like they need a ball handler to step up and say " I  got this for us, follow my lead" and a consistent outside shooter to say "I got your back!"  saw neither tonight.

6 hours ago, BullShark said:

GC got what they wanted in order to win tonight's game.  The big guns did not play well for TCA; however ridiculous turnover after turnover for GC was very uncharacteristic.  The team I saw play tonight won't be in Murfreesboro,  The team I saw against USJ in the second half, should be.  Who are you GC? Should be an interesting rest of the season for them. To me, looks like they need a ball handler to step up and say " I  got this for us, follow my lead" and a consistent outside shooter to say "I got your back!"  saw neither tonight.

The “who are you GC” is what we all want to know. They will lose in the district tournament playing like they did last night and in first round of region. They got scorers for sure both on the outside and the inside. GC has way too many wasted possessions not getting them the ball when their open. Hard to be leaders and step up when you don’t touch the ball. GC has made a living getting the ball to outlets and throwing the ball over presses in the past and playing fast. There are tons of opportunities for GC to play fast and get the ball to playmakers in transition and in half court and they aren’t doing it. They are not playing team ball. Bottom line. At this point I hate to beat a dead horse but I would start playing backups and wouldn’t be afraid to put a fresh five in their and let them think about it a while. IMO it is way past time to get the five in a room and let’s find out what the problems are 

Edited by pioneer42

14 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

The thing that TCA needs to clean up or could stop them from making a deep run is ball handling. They play good defense, rebound very well, play well in transition, play well in the half court and handle the ball pretty good for the most part. Ball handling and closing close games late is something that will be needed consistently to win the Gold Ball. I think they can and will get it done personally..I know most of the TCA girls and know the time and effort they put on their own and I am really impressed. I hope they win it because I see the fields they have planted and they deserve it.

This is their year!

19 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

I agree kids have to step up their game, but coaches do too. I don't believe GC coaches are doing all they can either. 4 is one of the best shooters in the land and 24 is one of the best post in the land. Are the coaches giving their all to make sure these two are getting their touches? I have watched GC several times and have seen numerous possessions where these two are wide open and the ball goes every where but them and eventually in an opponents hands. Does he not run plays for them? IMO, he needs a bunch for them. The "disinterested ones" as you stated need to find a home on the pine. Two bad apples turns into a bunch. Some times attitudes change on the pine. GC coach is a great coach, but he can improve too. It is not all on the players as you have alluded, IMO. He is not perfect like you may think.

2 hours ago, jacketchamps12018 said:

I agree kids have to step up their game, but coaches do too. I don't believe GC coaches are doing all they can either. 4 is one of the best shooters in the land and 24 is one of the best post in the land. Are the coaches giving their all to make sure these two are getting their touches? I have watched GC several times and have seen numerous possessions where these two are wide open and the ball goes every where but them and eventually in an opponents hands. Does he not run plays for them? IMO, he needs a bunch for them. The "disinterested ones" as you stated need to find a home on the pine. Two bad apples turns into a bunch. Some times attitudes change on the pine. GC coach is a great coach, but he can improve too. It is not all on the players as you have alluded, IMO. He is not perfect like you may think.

You really made a new account to bash the coach... but claim to be a Greenfield fan with your username.... brilliant!

9 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

You really made a new account to bash the coach... but claim to be a Greenfield fan with your username.... brilliant!

Exactly.  I would suggest if they have an issue with the coaches they go discuss with the coaches instead of trying to create a new account and make it look like a greenfield fan.  Wilkins wins a state championship last year but now pioneer42 is bashing him