COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

6 hours ago, Sidelinehustler said:

I preface this post with I am not opposed to having a football season. I want a football season.

Football is not school. There is no social distancing in football. Yes, I know kids won’t social distance in the hallways. However, anyone that has been a part of a football program for any amount of time realizes this. It’s not a sanitary environment no matter how much you clean and use safety measures. Ask any coach who has ever had MRSA get started in a locker room. Stomach bug, flu, etc. 

Once again, this is not an opinion about whether or not to have a season. But that’s what the powers that be are thinking. On a side note, I realize we are all very concerned about sports. The truth is the vast majority of the people in the state of Tennessee are much more worried about somewhere to send their kids so they don’t have to find someone to watch them while they are at work. 

That should in it's self absolve the school system from any liability. School is mandatory (in some form)... all children must receive an education, even to the point that we incarcerate parents/guardians for excessive truancy. Football is voluntary. If you have concerns about your child breaking bones, suffering a concussion, spraining an ankle, or contracting CV-19, you have the authority to prevent the child from participating. That's why schools were exempted by the Governor, and not sports in general.

9 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

That should in it's self absolve the school system from any liability. School is mandatory (in some form)... all children must receive an education, even to the point that we incarcerate parents/guardians for excessive truancy. Football is voluntary. If you have concerns about your child breaking bones, suffering a concussion, spraining an ankle, or contracting CV-19, you have the authority to prevent the child from participating. That's why schools were exempted by the Governor, and not sports in general.

Not difficult. Pretty self explanatory. Y’all hanging tough on the Hill??

11 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Good luck finding anyone that’s been in the clink for truancy lately, but I digress.

My post was not in any form or fashion intended to address liability. But since you brought it up, your position is that there is no liability for any of the stated scenarios on the part of a coach or school system because it’s voluntary? I can tell you that dog won’t hunt. 

12 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

Good luck finding anyone that’s been in the clink for truancy lately, but I digress.

My post was not in any form or fashion intended to address liability. But since you brought it up, your position is that there is no liability for any of the stated scenarios on the part of a coach or school system because it’s voluntary? I can tell you that dog won’t hunt. 

I could provide names and addresses for the truancy, but I wont.

Find a lawsuit for a football injury not related to gross negligence if you'd like to spend the rest of the evening in a fruitless search. Thousands of injuries ranging from bumps and bruises to paralysis per year, and every transmittable illness imaginable contracted through high school sports... why is CV-19 different?

33 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

Not difficult. Pretty self explanatory. Y’all hanging tough on the Hill??

Doing all that we can in the current state of confusion. Great to hear from you "other" Lions!!!

Seriously, I hope that all is as well as could be expected there... y'all working toward kickoff?

6 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I could provide names and addresses for the truancy, but I wont.

Find a lawsuit for a football injury not related to gross negligence if you'd like to spend the rest of the evening in a fruitless search. Thousands of injuries ranging from bumps and bruises to paralysis per year, and every transmittable illness imaginable contracted through high school sports... why is CV-19 different?

School systems I have been familiar with for the past thirty five years in middle Tennessee seem to have bigger fish to fry than truancy. I’m glad yours holds parents accountable. 

Negligence is always involved in any liability. That’s a given. Without negligence there is no liability. That doesn’t require a “search”.  I stated weeks ago on the T that government employees are given wide ranging protections from lawsuits. My take was you were making the point that since football is voluntary there shouldn’t be liability. 

1 minute ago, Sidelinehustler said:

School systems I have been familiar with for the past thirty five years in middle Tennessee seem to have bigger fish to fry than truancy. I’m glad yours holds parents accountable. 

Negligence is always involved in any liability. That’s a given. Without negligence there is no liability. That doesn’t require a “search”.  I stated weeks ago on the T that government employees are given wide ranging protections from lawsuits. My take was you were making the point that since football is voluntary there shouldn’t be liability. 

We're on the same page here... because of that statement, waivers are basically useless. You will find (with a search) plenty of lawsuits overriding waivers, simply because negligence was proven. With reasonable precautions in place to protect student athletes (Governors and TSSAA guidelines), there wouldn't be "viable" lawsuits.

1 minute ago, tradertwo said:

We're on the same page here... because of that statement, waivers are basically useless. You will find (with a search) plenty of lawsuits overriding waivers, simply because negligence was proven. With reasonable precautions in place to protect student athletes (Governors and TSSAA guidelines), there wouldn't be "viable" lawsuits.

Right. A waiver is a waste of time in my opinion. If your negligent you still get the ole papers in the mailbox.  Good intelligent exchange. Refreshing. 

Just now, Sidelinehustler said:

Right. A waiver is a waste of time in my opinion. If your negligent you still get the ole papers in the mailbox.  Good intelligent exchange. Refreshing. 

And thank you as well! Too many times we mean the same thing when we "talk it out"... it's just a little harder when you're typing instead of talking!