Petition to Remove Rebel Mascot at MHS ?

jrlcm

13 minutes ago, HTV said:

You are moving the goalposts. 

Try to stay focused.  

Not at all.  If the Redskins can change their name, a little ole high school in rural TN can too.  And we call know, Maryville fans will still cheer for the athletes even if they are not called Rebels.  

4 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

Not at all.  If the Redskins can change their name, a little ole high school in rural TN can too.  And we call know, Maryville fans will still cheer for the athletes even if they are not called Rebels.  

Comparing a Billion dollar sports franchise and having the money to rebrand is not the same as a "little ole high school in rural TN" as you like to put it and having the funds to rebrand everything.  It's going to take well over 6 figures to rebrand Maryville High School

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

Comparing a Billion dollar sports franchise and having the money to rebrand is not the same as a "little ole high school in rural TN" as you like to put it and having the funds to rebrand everything.  It's going to take well over 6 figures to rebrand Maryville High School

Way over 6 figures when you add the MJHS Rebels. Let's officially call them the "red rebels" and drop the goofy pre-game stadium rules. Atlanta makes a stand with the 'Braves".

Tee Hee Hee

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/atlanta-braves-keep-name-look-into-famed-tomahawk-chop

9 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

Sorry, but you are absolutely clueless and don't unders6the difference. I know many black former Maryville football alums. Not one is in favor of changing the mascot. 

Stay in you lane. 

15 hours ago, Swipes said:

yeah, lack of funds is the reason people want to keep "Heritage not hatred" going.

2 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

yeah, lack of funds is the reason people want to keep "Heritage not hatred" going.

So now you are picking on the poor ole Mountaineers? Way to kick a team when they are down. I figure William Blount would offend before Heritage. To each his own in this day and age. 

"Coach Dean Bailey's Red Rebels against the TSSAA"

So Maryville has formed a "diversity task force" to study changing the name. Hopefully, that is just stalling to see if this nonsense goes away like it usually does. It seems like this happens every few years. Some knucklehead gets offended by a team name and pitches a fit.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/14/maryville-city-schools-creates-task-force-study-rebels-nickname/5431170002/?fbclid=IwAR17wuCRO2-hpsab6OfD7gl4yzRQwZmb8YSeZyLjJOPqMeD847Fc_FMXKIM