Week 2 D-B @ Oak Ridge

TribalEmpire

REPORT CARD FOR WEEK ONE GAME VS HVA

OFFENSIVE LINE - B (the best o-line play I've seen in a while but the opposition wasn't too stiff)

WR - A-   - Gaddis is right...OR is very deep with quality here. There were a couple of drops, the blocking was decent, the young Heyward had a great catch, and Stewart/Turner look to be in midseason form

RB - A    Kendall Jackson looked like a beast much of the time but needs to stop cramping and Rowe looked very tough when Kendall had cramps. I also don't recall any fumbles

QB - B+   He had a shaky start and threw a couple of passes to nobody but was on target when it counted

PUNTERS - A+   We had some great punts and the formation, while puzzling, seemed effective

Defensive Line - A+    HVA couldn't run it at all and they applied pressure to the HVA QB too

LB - A    HVA couldn't run it all but not sure about their pass defense or responsibilies on pass

DB - B   I thought they were pretty good but perhaps too soft on coverage a few times and got beat over the top once or twice (although incomplete)

KICKING - C+   Kickoffs were fair and they missed an extra point

PUNT RETURNS - D  Catch the ball and don't run backwards when you do

COACHING - A-      I don't recall many penalties which is impressive after a preseason with no scrimmages. It seemed as if the team was ready for game one

1 hour ago, catswild said:

OFFENSIVE LINE - B (the best o-line play I've seen in a while but the opposition wasn't too stiff)

WR - A-   - Gaddis is right...OR is very deep with quality here. There were a couple of drops, the blocking was decent, the young Heyward had a great catch, and Stewart/Turner look to be in midseason form

RB - A    Kendall Jackson looked like a beast much of the time but needs to stop cramping and Rowe looked very tough when Kendall had cramps. I also don't recall any fumbles

QB - B+   He had a shaky start and threw a couple of passes to nobody but was on target when it counted

PUNTERS - A+   We had some great punts and the formation, while puzzling, seemed effective

Defensive Line - A+    HVA couldn't run it at all and they applied pressure to the HVA QB too

LB - A    HVA couldn't run it all but not sure about their pass defense or responsibilies on pass

DB - B   I thought they were pretty good but perhaps too soft on coverage a few times and got beat over the top once or twice (although incomplete)

COACHING - A-      I don't recall many penalties which is impressive after a preseason with no scrimmages. It seemed as if the team was ready for game one

Very thorough analysis, hope a DB fan who was at the game last week can give something similar

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Very thorough analysis, hope a DB fan who was at the game last week can give something similar

That was pretty darn thorough.I've always been to lazy to put that much effort into my analysis. I would probably not give an A+ if I did.Maybe if it's in a state championship game and a team had just dominated another opponent. After one or two games you really don't know what you have.Now if you opened up and beat Oakland and Maryville instead of a couple of teams you were supposed to beat. Then all you have to worry about is staying healthy and finishing a very long season. That all said, I give an A to the DB team from top to bottom for not playing a perfect game and still winning with no problems in a first game without the normal preseason work.

Both teams have had some big victories but this was my favorite trip to Oak Ridge.The night Chris ran wild on the Wildcats. That was a monster of an Oak Ridge team in terms of size.I bet their O-Line went 300 average.The QB looked like he went about 240.My memory isn't good but the QB I remember was number 11 at the end of the game. Rewatching,he might have been closer to 275

Edited by BatmanLives

6 minutes ago, BatmanLives said:

Both teams have had some big victories but this was my favorite trip to Oak Ridge.The night Chris ran wild on the Wildcats. That was a monster of an Oak Ridge team in terms of size.I bet their O-Line went 300 average.The QB looked like he went about 240

Hard to believe we went 4-6 that year. We had some talent out there, Demarcus Rogers being one (#4) who was really good, with a massive OL as you eluded to. Just shows how mediocre of a coach Stevens was. That’s of course just my opinion. Yeah, I think the QB name was David Irby, if I’m not mistaken? Heck fire, I wished we could find some linemen like that again. For some odd reason they’ve always been hard to come by in the Ridge, barring a few seasons like this one here, of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Hard to believe we went 4-6 that year. We had some talent out there, Demarcus Rogers being one (#4) who was really good, with a massive OL as you eluded to. Just shows how mediocre of a coach Stevens was. That’s of course just my opinion. Yeah, I think the QB name was David Irby, if I’m not mistaken? Heck fire, I wished we could find some linemen like that again. For some odd reason they’ve always been hard to come by in the Ridge, barring a few seasons like this one here, of course.

Yep,they make the lines for most teams today look small.I know your right tackle was listed at 345 alone.I'd say that was without shoes .

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Not just your opinion. Many others agree.

• Like 1

DB game at Bristol was "workman" like. Nothing fancing, didn't have to.

O-Line run blocking was good to fantastic. A couple of missed assignments on 2 pass block plays. QB Whitson played a good game, with only a handful of pass attempts. He is looking forward to going full out Friday when they open up play book. Lightning had a strong game rushing for 200yds. DB held Thunder out to be safe, had a little tweek in practice last week. I'd say both play at OR.

D-Line was fantastic and dominated the game. LB's were good. The D'backs were as good as they could have played and is one of the best (if not) defensive backfields in a couple of decades for the Indians. Good size, speed, cover WR's like a blanket and do not give any cushions, they will play them from the line of scrimmage. I think TN High had only 2 first downs they got and 2 we gave them on penalties.

Special teams were good. Kicking game was good enough to play any game. Nearly had a KO Return for TD. 

The crowd was just about as big as any other game at the Castle. Other than DB's band and cheerleaders, it was a good crowd. DB had more fans than TN High. It was a good start to the 100th season of Indians Football.

QB Whitson played a really good game last yr vs OR. and DB scored on 6 out of 1st 7 possessions. Being both teams have most everybody back, I will pick DB to win game and expect it will be a much closer game than last year.  

Edited by LINEDAD

On 8/22/2020 at 9:25 AM, bonkers said:

I don't think HVA has a very good team but OR is good (not sure how good until they play a good team). Last night OR was playing HVA, not "other teams". If a slant route is working against HVA, why not throw it? The TD pass to Adams wasn't a slant. The second TD to Turner wasn't a slant. I sure hope the OR coaches read your posts so will know what the #$#@ to do in future games! 

Lmao you are the biggest d rider I know! I leave for a days and you’re tagging me lmao! I can’t with you! If you think they opened the playbook you have a problem! Didn’t say every touchdown was a slant lmao reading is fundamental!  And why would the coaches read my post here! Sprat, Minor, Mitchell, and Jernigan can hit me up they know me lol! 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, Cactus Jack said:

We may be up against the best DB team in recent memory.  Third year of Coach Christian and he means business, making them a better defensive team and taking advantage of size.  He said after they lost to Maryville last year in the playoffs that they were going to be "like Maryville"  I think this will be Oak Ridge's toughest test of the season.  HVA wasn't very good and as the game wore on they wore down. DB will be much harder to run and throw on. We got our hands full this Friday.  I hope it doesn't rain, I'm over that already....

Interesting and ready to see the game. I don’t believe this will be our toughest test. I believe Powell, Farragut, and Mt Juliet will be. Not taking anything away from DB. You are 100% correct! Hva wasn’t good at all. On Twitter we discussed they were the worst harden valley team in our years of watching/playing. Safe travels if you come

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, catswild said:

Not bad keep these coming weekly!