Associated Press Statewide Poll 6A and 5A 2020

Red Rebels

On 10/6/2020 at 4:02 PM, osunut2 said:

My contenders/pretenders:

1. Powell and West - Contenders. They look like the best in the east. Should be a fun game Thursday night!
  2. Central - Contender. They've taken a step back offensively, but they are still really good on defense and special teams. They look like a quarterfinalist right now.
  3. South Doyle - Contender. They've improved a ton offensively since the beginning of the season. Coupled with their defense, they should be able to make a quarterfinal run.
  4. Carter - Pretender. Overrated and likely a product of their schedule. I think Central will handle them on Friday night.
  5. Rhea County - Pretender. Also a product of their schedule. They're a good team, but not #6 in the state. Red Bank should beat them on Friday night. Even if they beat RB and go 10-0, I don't see them getting past Powell or West in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
  6. Region 1 - Pretenders.
  7. Oak Ridge - Sleeper, potential contender. They've got a LOT of pieces. If these guys can put it all together, they could really create some havoc in the post-season.

Looks like Rhea County's game versus Red Bank is kaput due to COVID.

Edited by osunut2

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:02 PM, osunut2 said:

My contenders/pretenders:

1. Powell and West - Contenders. They look like the best in the east. Should be a fun game Thursday night!
  2. Central - Contender. They've taken a step back offensively, but they are still really good on defense and special teams. They look like a quarterfinalist right now.
  3. South Doyle - Contender. They've improved a ton offensively since the beginning of the season. Coupled with their defense, they should be able to make a quarterfinal run.
  4. Carter - Pretender. Overrated and likely a product of their schedule. I think Central will handle them on Friday night.
  5. Rhea County - Pretender. Also a product of their schedule. They're a good team, but not #6 in the state. Red Bank should beat them on Friday night. Even if they beat RB and go 10-0, I don't see them getting past Powell or West in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
  6. Region 1 - Pretenders.
  7. Oak Ridge - Sleeper, potential contender. They've got a LOT of pieces. If these guys can put it all together, they could really create some havoc in the post-season.

Does #6 apply to 5A only or 6A also?

2 minutes ago, Rhea Co. said:

I think it’s for 5A. DB looked good last night against Farragut. 

Also, I think Carter proved they might better than people give the credit for. 

Im thinking you are right. IDk how it would be 6A as well. Cant put Oakridge as sleeper and DB as a pretender lol

3 minutes ago, Rhea Co. said:

I think it’s for 5A. DB looked good last night against Farragut. 

Also, I think Carter proved they might better than people give the credit for. 

Carter looks good. Coach Pressley was coaching at Volunteer High School last year. He won 4 games with them and stayed close in a few more. I dont think you know too much about Volunteer but winning 4 games takes an act of god for them lol. He also coached in Smyrna and Chicago before then. Heck of coach and good group of athletes

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I think it also says a lot about Central. I don't think they are nearly as good this year.

the defense is still good. esp with their alll state safety coming back, but the offense is a mess. everyone is calling for the OC to be fired. all central does is Run the wildcat, off the tackles, and bubble screens. the game vs south Doyle will tell us all we need to know

• 3 weeks later...

Division I
Class 6A

Record    Pts        Prv

1. Oakland (12)                9-0          165        1

2. Maryville (5)                 9-0          158        2

3. Riverdale                     7-2          105        7

4. Bradley Central            7-2          101        6

5. Dobyns-Bennett           8-1            93        3

6. McMinn County            8-1            80        4

7. Bartlett                          5-1            58        9

8. Brentwood                    6-3            51        5

9. Independence               6-1            45       NR

10. Ravenwood                 5-4            41       8

Others receiving 12 or more points: Science Hill 12.